18 minutes ago, ubit said:

Luxury!

I actually played the tape of that for a Yorkshire man who was complaining he was once so poor that he had to eat black pepper sandwiches.... after about a minute of it - he looked around and said “I’m actually like that, aren’t I ?” “Ummm... yes

8 hours ago, mikel said:

I am surprised at Jimmy though, first time I set eyes on him he was still working in a glaziers in Walker. Remember your roots.

I used to work with a lad from Co Durham, and he said "Walker's so rough even the ants wear crash helmets" 😄

On 15/04/2021 at 17:29, Dan Dare said:

A pal who is a session player told me of the time he was hired to play for Mr Nail. He told me the musicians were instructed not to speak to or engage with his nibs in any way unless he spoke to them first. So, although he's not bad, I've never listened to his stuff.

I can quite imagine. A friend of mine was a cameraman on his 'Spender' programme so had worked with Jimmy quite a lot. He said he was a nasty bloke with a huge opinion of himself who thought himself above talking to other people on set. A shame as I really liked him in Auf Wiedersehen Pet. 

I lived in the now demolished tower blocks overlooking the river in Walker; the local was called the Bird’s Nest and was actually the sort of place where the music stops and locals turn to stare when someone new walks in.

29 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

Which block was that? St Antony's House or one of the Pottery Bank dwellings? 

St Anthony’s i think; there were five four or five storey blocks, council owned. £42.50 ish a week including water rates, with 2 weeks off rent in March.

I first saw him in a band called King Crabs in our local music pub The Old 29, long before he became famous.

I too heard stories about the no talking/eye contact with Mr Nail - dished out to friends who were working as extras on the set of Spender.

Allegedly these stipulations were set out at the beginning of each days filming.

Anyone who did lost their days Equity work/pay..

All anecdotal of course, and a long time ago 😉

49 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

you do wonder how he and Madonna got on while making Evita

Why aye, Madge?!

• Haha 2

On 16/04/2021 at 19:29, Chris2112 said:

his 'Spender' programme ......... He said he was a nasty bloke with a huge opinion of himself who thought himself above talking to other people on set.

Indeed... I remember him getting very unpleasant with telecine graders who were trying to interpret his wishes film-colour-wise. He was running up and down the corridors of TV Centre vt department effin' and blindin' and generally threatening violence.

Luckily I was on Lovejoy, which was fine apart from occasionally inappropriate cigar smoking setting the fire alarms off and the whole of Post Production having to wait outside until the firemen pronounced it safe to go back!

• Like 3

Notice how although the man is famous he is completely laughable despite having a number one record and quite a good voice. This is why everybody from the northeast trys to lose their accent and bugger off down south as soon as fame comes calling.Its just not a cool place to come from. Sorry.

On 16/04/2021 at 05:31, ubit said:

You try telling that to kids these days!

Aye, and they'll not believe yer

A

18 minutes ago, YouMa said:

Notice how although the man is famous he is completely laughable despite having a number one record and quite a good voice. This is why everybody from the northeast trys to lose their accent and bugger off down south as soon as fame comes calling.Its just not a cool place to come from. Sorry.

And in the case of Charlie Hunnam, he buggered off to America 😄

Sad to hear that Mr Nail has got above himself - I like the guy's music, and shows like Spender and Crocodile Shoes were (for the most part) well acted. Wikipedia has him down as "retired" - maybe he did that because he's worried about who he might meet on the way back down... 

There's a lot to be said for being humble, but that's just my opinion...

Not unusual in the industry. Status Quo were similarly full of themselves. 

Given how JN has been in some really good TV shows/films, and has made some pretty decent music I find this rather saddening as in those he comes across as a pretty ordinary guy. Suppose that’s the acting then.

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier, he's an incredibly creative guy, and creative people can often be direct and unwilling to compromise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

Funnily enough, the people I know who knew or worked with Parfitt seemed to like him. I once did a gig (in the late 80s) supporting John Coghlan and he seemed like a perfectly nice enough guy. 

I've briefly met Guy Pratt, who seemed like a nice chap, and he seems to talk about JN as a mate. I suppose that it depends on the context that you meet certain people like that! 

I have 3 things to say relating (vaguely) to Jimmy Nail:

1. Spender used to hang out in a guitar shop (Guitar Express?) in Newcastle. It was on a back street called High Bridge. I still have the 1985 Squier Tele that I bought there (used) in 1987.
  2. Mrs Axe and I went to see JN live about 20 years ago. It was an excellent show but there was no bass player, they relied on the keyboard player's left hand.
  3. 'Cowboy Dreams' off JN's Crocodile Shoes album was written by Paddy McAloon out of Prefab Sprout. I went to see the band in a Durham pub in about 1981, at which point they were playing quirky angular songs completely unlike their later hits. In the break I tried to interest PM in an Ibanez I was trying to offload, but without success, not least because he was skint.

46 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

As I mentioned earlier, he's an incredibly creative guy, and creative people can often be direct and unwilling to compromise.

The world is full of "incredibly creative" people. It isn't a licence to be a prat.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

The world is full of "incredibly creative" people. It isn't a licence to be a prat.

I don't find him to be a prat. Appreciate your personal experiences with him may have differed.

Edited by wateroftyne

3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I shared a few casual words with Rick Parfitt in an airport departure lounge once many years ago, he seemed very nice and down-to-earth. No 'big I am' at all.

49 minutes ago, Rich said:

I shared a few casual words with Rick Parfitt in an airport departure lounge once many years ago, he seemed very nice and down-to-earth. No 'big I am' at all.

My ex-wife was working in hospitality when Quo played a private gig at a rugby ground near us. They arrived at the gig by helicopter, and then she looked after the band till they went on stage. She said they were lovely guys, very down to earth and not big time at all.

• Like 1