Why become a member? ×

Some more new Orange equipment - 8x10, Terror bass cabs

bennifer

Hey, just found a news page featuring some new Orange equipment. I know they released the bass terror head a little while ago, however now they seem to have made a series of cabs featuring speakers positioned in line, behind one another... Also an 8x10 cab which I know people have been after for ages!

[url="http://www.gear-vault.com/orange-bass-cabinets-unveiled-namm/"]http://www.gear-vault.com/orange-bass-cabi...-unveiled-namm/[/url]

Anyone got any other info, nothing on the orange site itself yet...

Ampeg did some isobaric cabs a while back as did EA (though theirs may have only been pre-production). Should go very deep for their size but will be very quiet for their speaker complement. IIRC an isobaric 4x10" will have the same sensitivity as a 1x10" though the excursion limited power handling will be twice as high.

They do look cute!

Alex

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='444832' date='Mar 25 2009, 11:08 AM']isobaric speakers have a speaker design where two drive units are mounted in tandem usually made with subwoofers.

- is from Wikipedia, but I still don't really know what that means :)[/quote]

It just means there's a speaker that's mounted inside the cab, firing internally.

wow, those look really cool.

for those who don't know, the key to isobaric designs is that the speakers are on axis and in phase with one another, not just mounted internally. i had a pinnacle supersonic sub a few years back, really really nice accurate bass but not great output for it's size. still, it was a home theater sub, so while quality was important, it didn't really need to put out the same levels.

interesting to see how it works out in this situation, i can't say i'm convinced due to what i would expect to be low sensitivity, but i'm surprised all the time and in this case i'd love to be wrong.

An isobaric cab has the drivers in pairs, one behind the other, firing in phase. The air space between the drivers stays constant, hence 'isobaric' or 'constant pressure'. Because the drivers are working in unison you only get the acoustic output from the front of the front driver and in a ported isobaric from the back of the back driver exciting the port. Hence the radiating area is half as large as you'd get from two drivers conventionally mounted, thus the lower sensitivity. The sensitivity is lowered further because you effectively have one driver with a cone that is twice as heavy. The upside of this is that the increased cone mass means you can get the same frequency response from a pair of woofers in a 20 litre cab as you would get from one woofer in a 40 litre cab, but with lower sensitivity.

Isobaric cabs used to be more popular because woofers tended to require very large cabs and had relatively low thermal power handling. By quartering the volume required to get a given frequency response and doubling the thermal power handling you could get a nice small sub. However nowadays the main restriction with woofers is their excursion limited power handling and isobaric cabs don't give you any advantage with that, as each pair of drivers can only move as much air as one driver in a normal cab. If you want small and deep I think it makes more sense to get something like an Acme cab where instead of pairing woofers in an isobaric cab they use one woofer with a heavy cone to get similar results at less cost and weight.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

• 1 month later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='444822' date='Mar 25 2009, 06:52 AM']Ampeg did some isobaric cabs a while back as did EA (though theirs may have only been pre-production). Should go very deep for their size but will be very quiet for their speaker complement. IIRC an isobaric 4x10" will have the same sensitivity as a 1x10" though the excursion limited power handling will be twice as high.

They do look cute!

Alex[/quote]

I actually still own one of those Ampeg Isovent Cabs. I wrote one of the original magazine reviews of it around 1993 or so and Ampeg let me hang onto it.

Great cab but HEAVY. Short and beefy like a pittbull. 2x10 with a horn on the top that is angled up and two 15's down the bottom that are mounted face-to-face and wired in reverse polarity to each other, so as one moves in the other moves out -- like a giant bass piston.

I believe Ampeg later changed the design and cheaped out with just one normal 15 front-loaded on the bottom.

[quote name='mc2' post='477369' date='May 1 2009, 10:16 PM']I actually still own one of those Ampeg Isovent Cabs. I wrote one of the original magazine reviews of it around 1993 or so and Ampeg let me hang onto it.

Great cab but HEAVY. Short and beefy like a pittbull. 2x10 with a horn on the top that is angled up and two 15's down the bottom that are mounted face-to-face and wired in reverse polarity to each other, so as one moves in the other moves out -- like a giant bass piston.[/quote]

Want

[quote name='alexclaber' post='446733' date='Mar 27 2009, 12:33 AM']I suppose I shouldn't mention my old vocalist's Dad (himself a pro drummer who has one of Mitch Mitchell's kits from the JHE) picking up an Orange head at a car boot sale for £40 about ten years back...

Alex[/quote]
was it a proper orange though or one of these new fangled ones

[quote name='mc2' post='477369' date='May 1 2009, 10:16 PM']-- like a giant bass piston.[/quote]

:) ooh err missus gimblet, that thrusting you can feel is my isobaric bass piston

I think secretly, we all need a giant bass piston :rolleyes: