Why become a member? ×

Fave songs you first heard on a TV ad

Sometimes TV ads get knocked for  misuse of certain well known pieces of music. Conversely, if you don't listen to music radio they can be a great way of discovering songs that might become faves. Here's four of the bat for me which have become big faves but were it not for the ads I'd never heard of three of these groups. Let's go...

First up, So Easy by Royksopp, used in a 2002 T-Mobile ad

Next, Bohemian Like You by the Dandy Warhols used in this 2007 Vodafone ad

Next, I was already a Leftfield fan but only heard Phat Planet for the first time on this  seminal 1998 Guinness ad

This last tune is called Zoraide by Cairobi, which was used on Halford's 2014 christmas 'Nothing beats a bike' ad

Not a chance. We seldom watch the commercial TV channels; if we do, the sound gets muted instantly when ads come on. It's a pet hate. Not much from the radio (R4...) either, but I do get off to sleep listening to France Musique, the classical station. If I hear any good stuff, I've forgotten what it was the next morning anyway. :$

1983 - This tune became a serious earworm for me, so much so that I actually got myself a copy of the extended version on 12" vinyl (...yep, I've still got it! :) )

(p.s. - not my video :) )

Edited by Stingray5
  • Like 2

The old Lois Jeans advert introduced me to The Smiths’ How Soon Is Now, although it was an instrumental version. IIRC the was also a jeans company that used a Stiltskin tune for an ad, another one that was, at the time, new to me.

1 hour ago, ubit said:

This was heard by just about everyone on an advert. I can't for the life of me remember what they were advertising.

Levi 501's

Same with the Stiltskin song.

Didn't Apple use a Royal Blood song for one of their ad's?

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

Venus in Furs by The Velvet underground and Nico for me on the Dunlop (?) tyre advert.

I bought the Stiltskin 12"single. Side A was the instrumental version, I think, with the vocal version on the B side. Let's just say, it didn't get played very often.

Jacques Loussier 's jazz arrangement of Bach's Air on a G string, truncated by the Benson and Hedges cigar adverts.

Jacques Loussier - Air On A G String - YouTube 

Only when I listened to the full version did I realise that there was an artist who was creating jazz arrangements of Bach pieces and that version that we are familiar with (from 0'56") had the introduction lopped off.   

• Like 2