Why become a member? ×

Shipping to US with freight forwarding?

abarson

I have my eye on a speaker in stock at Blue Aran, but they won't ship it to the US. Their website mentions using a freight forwarder to handle this.

Does anyone here have experience with freight forwarding as well as recommended providers of such a service?

Out of interest, what is the speaker that you can’t buy in the US.

Their policy is not unusual. Some products have restriction put on them where they can only be sold within a region. This protects regional distributors and deals with warranty issues.

Edited by beans-on-toast

2 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Hi David, :) 

I trust all my old friends on Talkbass are well and properly vaccinated. :)

I miss you all even @abarson! LOL

Hi Paul, hope that all is well. I see that the GTA is having a difficult time of it with the third wave, a high rate of infections. Family have moved from Toronto to a smaller city. I have my vaccines. Today the CEO’s are saying that a booster will be needed in 12 months and probably annually. This thing ain’t going away any time soon. 

Take care of yourself and your lady wife.

• Haha 1

I've had my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine, as has my Dorothy. I'm hoping for an earlier second shot than July as at the moment.

Yes the GTA is badly hit mainly due to the variants of concern but we are all doing our best. We are locked down yet again. 

Keep you and yours safe and healthy. :)

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 2

Our Governor is letting the statewide mask mandate expire tomorrow, despite cases rising, as most people over 50 have been vaccinated, and the current wave of infections is in younger people who tend to not require hospitalization. Also, in four days vaccination will be available to anyone over 16 years of age. I wouldn't be surprised to see this end up like the flu vaccine, which is done yearly not as a booster but to address new variants. I really look forward to the end of this, it's getting close to two years now since I was last able to visit Montreal and that's far too long.

• Like 1

The Pfizer CEO said today that people will require a booster 12 months after their second shot and  yearly will be likely. So your comments Bill, are spot on. 

I wear a mask in public indoor spaces such as grocery stores and when near crowds outdoors. Unfortunately, I don’t know if that will ever change. No vaccine has proven to be 100% effective. 

Edited by beans-on-toast

Vaccine wiped out smallpox and has almost wiped out polio. The problem is that virus is like whack a mole. Wipe out one and a new one comes along. The good news is that mRNA allows us to come up with new vaccines much faster than before. In the long run this experience might prove beneficial, as we may be able to use mRNA vaccines to target cancer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 15/04/2021 at 10:05, BassmanPaul said:

Hi David, :) 

I trust all my old friends on Talkbass are well and properly vaccinated. :)

I miss you all even @abarson! LOL

Hey Paul

TB doesn’t seem the same without you. Who else is going to laud Acme B2s with me?

Our band practice yesterday turned into a lawn concert, made possible by the vaccine. It was good to be among people again.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2021 at 04:53, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I haven't come across anything in their product line that you can't get from other sources.

I was contemplating a Cyclops 115 build and the Oberton 15MB500 is only 100 pounds sterling at Blue Aran. I’ll probably resort to using a recommended alternative, but I continue to be drawn to the slightly esoteric.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/the-cyclops-a-tweeterless-115.1178086/#post-17842862

I remember Arjank from the days when I still did talkbass. He was always pushing Oberton, as if they were something special. They're OK, but no better than a dozen other brands. The LaVoce WAF 153.00, for instance, is almost Identical, and sells for $160 with shipping. https://www.parts-express.com/LaVoce-WAF153.00-15-Woofer-8-Ohm-293-720

I wouldn't do a rear loaded folded horn. They have an unavoidable response dip where the front and rear waves meet with reverse polarity. That's one reason why they disappeared from the scene thirty years ago.

8 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Did you tell those folks to practice at home, so they're ready for rehearsal?

😀

"Okay folks, we know it's been awhile...so today we're going to work on conversations...Dave, that's not how a lawn chair works...everyone got a beverage?"

"Oh, so you got Moderna? How nice for you!"

On 19/04/2021 at 07:40, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I remember Arjank from the days when I still did talkbass. He was always pushing Oberton, as if they were something special. They're OK, but no better than a dozen other brands. The LaVoce WAF 153.00, for instance, is almost Identical, and sells for $160 with shipping. https://www.parts-express.com/LaVoce-WAF153.00-15-Woofer-8-Ohm-293-720

I wouldn't do a rear loaded folded horn. They have an unavoidable response dip where the front and rear waves meet with reverse polarity. That's one reason why they disappeared from the scene thirty years ago.

Thanks for clueing me in on the LaVoce, Bill! Yes, Arjank did seem to have an affinity for Oberton, I guess for price and availability they've got an edge in the Netherlands over other manufacturers.

I built the diminuitive version, the Picolo 8. Say "hello" to my leetle friend | TalkBass.com

I know that I'm not using the proper speaker, (I once asked you if it would work in your WH8) but I still get the impression that the design has merit. I had no expectation of a speaker this small putting out so much sound and bass.

How do you determine at what frequencies the response dip occurs? Is it truely unavoidable?

Edited by abarson

The dip is where the distance from the rear of the cone to the front of the cone is 1/2 wavelength. To calculate that frequency divide the speed of sound by that distance, then divide by two. The speed of sound is 13,500 inches per second.  It is unavoidable, and why the most popular iteration, the JBL 'Scoop', went away. About the only example of rear loaded folded horns still around are the Danley Sound Labs tapped horn subwoofers. They have the dip, but it occurs above their nominal 100Hz maximum pass band. When they first came out Danley published SPL charts, and the dip, between 120Hz and 180Hz depending on the model, was very obvious at around 12dB deep. Even though that was above the pass band it garnered lots of criticism from the usual wags. When that happened Danley fixed the problem...by cutting off the charts at 100Hz.

• Like 2