Why become a member? ×

Commission sales

fleabag

I'm thinning more of my herd,  ( 2 vintage basses and a combo )  and wondered what % age  shops charge.  Saves me phoning every shop in the UK , if anyone knows what some of them charge percentage wise.

AFAIK, the Bass Gallery  charge 15% which is fairly reasonable.   I dont know about all the others,  like Vintage and Rare,  Vintage and Modern,  Wunjo, Andy Baxter  etc.

Forget   BD.  I wont deal with them

Anyone had recent experience with commission sales?   How'd it go  and who with ?

Ta folks

Bass Gallery. As you say, 15% (inc vat) sold four basses in the last 2 years, for a total of £10k. Mainly took a couple of weeks, one a couple of months. One sold for considerably more than I expected. Zero hassle, comms good, funds immediate. 10/10.

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 2

Possibly Andy,  but i cannot post as neither bass has a hard enough case.  Shops can arrange the shipping without hard cases, ( i've already done this before but with a shop i wont deal with )  and they're also responsible

7 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Possibly Andy,  but i cannot post as neither bass has a hard enough case.  Shops can arrange the shipping without hard cases, ( i've already done this before but with a shop i wont deal with )  and they're also responsible

You say they are vintage - Would a cheap new hard case be a significant percentage of the cost? 
Depends on the bass I guess, a £100 vintage from Russia and a £9k 60's fender are very different. 
If you stuck a sale post up on here and said, I want £x and postage will be £x in the UK plus £50 for a gator hard case or something... that's reasonable  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

You say they are vintage - Would a cheap new hard case be a significant percentage of the cost? 
Depends on the bass I guess, a £100 vintage from Russia and a £9k 60's fender are very different. 
If you stuck a sale post up on here and said, I want £x and postage will be £x in the UK plus £50 for a gator hard case or something... that's reasonable  

Seen a few adverts saying the same. Case and postage can be factored into the deal.

Let’s face it, if the bass is towards the upper end of the market, then surely people would travel to buy it anyway? I’ve bought stuff from 100 miles + away from where I live. Apply that to where you are and you have a massive catchment area for lots of potential buyers. Worth a try on here as well as the usual places (FB marketplace , Gumtree etc) and with it being cash on collection then it minimises any risk of non payment or damage by couriers etc. Also leaves you with all the proceeds....£££ 😀

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fleabag said:

Good points made

Looking at current prices where they can actually be found  ( no Russian 100 quid oldies )  we're looking at 1700-1800 and  750-900 quids

I'll have a think !

Got to be worth trying to sell them yourself first. If the basses fetch your top estimations then (@15% commission say)  you could potentially save over £400. Leaves you room for a bit of haggling and still being way in front compared with selling via a shop. Good luck!

• Like 1

Lots of very good points re: the benefits of selling on BC (and I've done a lot of this!).  However, I sometimes sell on commission and always with the Gallery.  The service has been superb - fantastic comms and customer service, incredible footfall (well, until relatively recently) from knowledgeable and motivated purchasers, and reliable and immediate payment.  Also, no hassle of packing, waiting for couriers/'interested' potential buyers that don't arrive, or payment issues.  Some basses have sold in a week or two, others a month or two, though nothing has failed to sell or to sell at a price lower than I'd expected.  A lot depends on one's priorities - if you have the time/energy, then BC is brilliant, if not and there are other demands on your time, then I'd recommend the Gallery.

I should add that in the past 18 months I've bought a couple of cases specifically for the purpose of bass sales.  Both from Gear4Music - tweed standard bass cases.  About £55 and they arrive in a decent carton that can be used for onward shipping.  

Edited by three
  • Like 3

Another +1 for The Gallery. I've sold a few through there. My last two basses ended up in New Zealand and the US courtesy of their extensive customer base. I love the fact of leaving it there, and forgetting about it until the sale. Totally hassle free, and well worth the commission for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, three said:

Lots of very good points re: the benefits of selling on BC (and I've done a lot of this!).  However, I sometimes sell on commission and always with the Gallery.  The service has been superb - fantastic comms and customer service, incredible footfall (well, until relatively recently) from knowledgeable and motivated purchasers, and reliable and immediate payment.  Also, no hassle of packing, waiting for couriers/'interested' potential buyers that don't arrive, or payment issues.  Some basses have sold in a week or two, others a month or two, though nothing has failed to sell or to sell at a price lower than I'd expected.  A lot depends on one's priorities - if you have the time/energy, then BC is brilliant, if not and there are other demands on your time, then I'd recommend the Gallery.

I should add that in the past 18 months I've bought a couple of cases specifically for the purpose of bass sales.  Both from Gear4Music - tweed standard bass cases.  About £55 and they arrive in a decent carton that can be used for onward shipping.  

I’ve done exactly the same thing. I’ve even let the buyer choose the case they want, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

It maybe that people are holding on to their cash right now, understandably.  This might not be a good time to sell

Guitar sales are at an all time high as I understand it, I can’t imagine bass would be wildly different. The time to sell is when you want to sell, unless you’re trying to move something that is affected by specific market forces: fashion, death of a bass celebrity, etc and you’re trying to hedge your bets.