Why become a member? ×

Best 9v rechargeable batteries?

TJ1

With an active preamp and 2 pickups, my bass runs through disposable batteries at a rate which, over a few years, might end costing more than the guitar itself. Plus I don't like to think where those used batteries end up.

Amazon has a bewildering display of rechargeables, all with 4 or 5 stars, so to the uninformed there is no obvious 'right' choice.

So I wondered if anyone was able to recommend a good and durable 9v rechargeable battery and charger? Don't mind paying a bit more than the lowest price.

Any advice appreciated.

I've had no problems with Lidl's own brand rechargeables, I've some that are at least six years old I use with radio mics. The AA cells I use have been great too. I don't think I've had to throw any out yet. If you use rechargeables though carry spares. They cut off very suddenly when they do go flat I have a charger in my leads box too.

Buy an EBS or an AER (or a few other brands) amp as they offer a 9V phantom power for your bass or a device like the ZAM.

If you want to stick to rechargeable batteries, check their amperage : the higher the longer they'll last in your bass. Also buy a fast charger.

On 13/04/2021 at 12:14, TJ1 said:

With an active preamp and 2 pickups, my bass runs through disposable batteries at a rate which, over a few years, might end costing more than the guitar itself.

And what is the bass and the preamp?

An ordinary 9 V battery capacity is around 500 mAh. A typical preamp consumes 0.3 - 1 mA. This gives 500 - 1500 hours of use. If the cable is constantly connected to your bass, the battery will be dead within 20 - 60 days.

Let's make an educated guess: You play 3 hours every day. The battery will last 150 - 500 days i.e. 5 - 16 months. Does not sound very expensive, does it? Please disconnect the cable after playing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TJ1 said:

Thanks for the replies - has anyone else got any recommendations?

I am not sure whats up with this bass - but even duracell seems to only last a week or so

Are you leaving the cable plugged into the bass when you're not playing?

On most active basses plugging the cable in switches the preamp on.

If you leave the cable in then the preamp is always on and the batteries will run down quickly.

This is one of those things that generally no one tells you when you buy your first active bass.

If you are unplugging the bass between uses then your batteries should be lasting many months, if not years and if that's not the case then you need to find someone to have a look at the electronics to find out what's causing the issue.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Cato said:

Are you leaving the cable plugged into the bass when you're not playing?

On most active basses plugging the cable in switches the preamp on.

YES! thank you, it's knowledge about these details that makes Basschat great

• Like 3