Why become a member? ×

New Ampeg Rocket Bass Combos

Muppet

The original Ampeg rocket bass br100/200 was a truly fantastic sounding and great looking little amp , it's only down fall was it was made of some kind of anti matter weighed more than 6 ton.

it never seemed to get a lot of attention at the time but I thought it was great..

hope this new version of it is something like the old....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wonky2 said:

The original Ampeg rocket bass br100/200 was a truly fantastic sounding and great looking little amp , it's only down fall was it was made of some kind of anti matter weighed more than 6 ton.

it never seemed to get a lot of attention at the time but I thought it was great..

hope this new version of it is something like the old....

I had an original B100r. I still regret selling it. Brilliant bit of kit.

• Sad 1

• 9 months later...

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have an RB210 and it's a complete dog. Twice now its packed up on me - once on a pub gig where the output just quit - the repairers replaced the speakers under warranty. And on Saturday on the biggest gig in recent times on the Big Top stage at Silverstone Woodlands F1 campground - I loaded it in plugged in my Pbass and got crackly farts. Had to DI last minute. I need something I can rely on. I get that they will fix the stuff under warranty, but do I need to carry a back up to every gig?

• Sad 1

I own the RB110 and for a little practice amp it sounds incredible. I don't have any experience with the larger combos in the range but I can definetely vouch for this one. It does pretty well keeping up with an electric kit, vocalist and guitarist. I certainly wouldn't gig with it though. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dontregartha said:

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have an RB210 and it's a complete dog. Twice now its packed up on me - once on a pub gig where the output just quit - the repairers replaced the speakers under warranty. And on Saturday on the biggest gig in recent times on the Big Top stage at Silverstone Woodlands F1 campground - I loaded it in plugged in my Pbass and got crackly farts. Had to DI last minute. I need something I can rely on. I get that they will fix the stuff under warranty, but do I need to carry a back up to every gig?

Sad to hear that, I picked up the 210 a few weeks back and only used it at home so far but do have plans to use it live.

Hopefully it's not a consistent with these :(

Sounds nice with what I have done with it so far, some recording.

20 hours ago, dontregartha said:

I was seriously considering the RB210 but upon reading this I'll give it a swerve, especially after the PF issues of the past.

5 hours ago, skychaserhigh said:

I've had the RB112 for a while now and it's been flawless both at home and at band rehearsal. 

That's good to hear, some faith restored.

102 page thread on Talkbass about the RB's and didn't notice much mention of failures.

I remember getting a new TC Electronics amp and having to send it back 3 times (almost gave up on them), The 3rd one is still working and with me over 10 years later.

I feel for dontregartha, a new amp letting you down mid gig would be a nightmare and I'd be reluctant to use it again.

On 31/03/2021 at 08:40, Cat Burrito said:

before anyone mentions the problems with the PF500 heads, that was just the first batch that was quickly fixed but seemed to repeatedly get mentioned on here for years

The first several batches and revisions. Admittedly they were long since sorted.