Why become a member? ×

New Ampeg Rocket Bass Combos

Muppet

http://www.ampeg.com/rocket-bass

Just seen these. Ampeg are a bit late to the party here I reckon and are turning up with nothing special on the face of it. Could be a reasonable competitor for the Rumble (although that’s moved on now) or the Ashdown studio range. Depends how good the Ampeg sound is replicated. 

Edited by Muppet
  • Thanks 1

I think now Yamaha are running the show they've got some good business guys in who've identified that there's a pretty big market segment that they were missing out on with their previous hefty combos.  They've joined the party now and I'm sure they'll sound great. Just a shame it's taken a while. And as far as price, wow....!

Good move from Ampeg, IMHO,  I can understand the delay in coming to the market, the transition of any company after an acquisition can be a long slow process. Couple that with the Japanese dedication to product reliability and the desire to ensure that the first product launch from the new owners is a success. So all this takes time. Clearly Ampeg weren't it a position to launch a combo line at the same time as Fender and didn't appear to have the resources to compete. These new  Ampeg combos really appeal to me and I hope they are successful as volume sales may bring down the "street price".

I love Ampeg and used them for years but it just looks like an overpriced Portaflex aesthetics combo. When the PF heads fit inside the cab so easily, I am not seeing any real advantages. (& before anyone mentions the problems with the PF500 heads, that was just the first batch that was quickly fixed but seemed to repeatedly get mentioned on here for years).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I love Ampeg and used them for years but it just looks like an overpriced Portaflex aesthetics combo. When the PF heads fit inside the cab so easily, I am not seeing any real advantages. (& before anyone mentions the problems with the PF500 heads, that was just the first batch that was quickly fixed but seemed to repeatedly get mentioned on here for years).

You mentioned it first?

To be fair, the PF500 was unreliable until the 7th/8th iteration of the PCB. It was the biggest debacle  in the MI amplification world I can remember. It suggests a lack of design engineers at Ampeg, one that hopefully the new regime has corrected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skybone said:

Not that they're "late to the show", they've just updated the range. The BA combo's have been out for years.

Anyway, they look interesting.

Yes good point, I forgot about them. I even had one of the 210s and the 115HP before that. Neither set my world alight unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

You mentioned it first?

To be fair, the PF500 was unreliable until the 7th/8th iteration of the PCB. It was the biggest debacle  in the MI amplification world I can remember. It suggests a lack of design engineers at Ampeg, one that hopefully the new regime has corrected.

Yep, I am afraid I did mention it first. My memory had it at a quickly fixed problem and having had three of things, I never had an issue. Certainly when it first came out they were blowing left, right and centre (& interestingly never the PF350s or the later PF800s - of which I have no personal experience with).

@Beer of the Bass, hadn't clocked the weight and that would be a deal breaker!

I received a promotional email about these a few days ago. They look considerably better than the last incarnation of the BA combos...which looked dreadful. I know we should concentrate our focus on how something sounds, but still, they looked woeful. 

These on the other hand look great, they seem to have quite a straight forward set of controls as well. I'm not fan of overly fussy controls and gimmicks on amps and combos, if I want to modify the basic sound that's what effects pedals were created for.

I just checked GuitarGuitar and you can preorder the 210 combo for £639. I think that puts in between the cheaper Rumble and the more expensive Ashdown. From experience the Rumble takes some beating to be honest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

There was a bit of discussion already here: 

Bit confused - you've just posted a link to the thread that you've just posted in which is in fact this thread. 

Edited by Muppet

I wonder if Ampeg are going to release any other new products or update any of the existing Portaflex range, for example the PF50 Valve head or the PF350/500/800 amps. I love my PF500 amp, it sounds amazing through my Barefaced 210 and I'm very tempted to upgrade to a PF800 at some point.

Edited by Linus27

• 4 months later...