Why become a member? ×

212 cabs for slappers...

AndyTravis

Tecamp 212M is a good consideration. It’s got NeoD speakers and a 6 position tweeter control which can be adjusted to suit on the soft side and hard side. 20kg or less and an easy carry with the side handles. The ‘M’ size is a good fit for most car boots and also gives a nice look on stage if that’s important. Mine is 600w and  as I’ve mentioned elsewhere it just loves watts! If watts were consonants this cab would be like “I’ll have a consonant please Rachel! And another. And another. And another. And another. And another. And another!”

And that’s just the first seven watts! It can go right up to 600 of them. I’ve never pushed it far enough to know but I’ve played BIG rooms with it and had no bother. 

Eich, I believe, went back to ceramic speakers maybe Tecamp did too but I’ve not really looked at another 212 since getting this as it was and remains the right balance between tweak ability on the tweeter, size, weight, power projection and performance and if I play my jazz into it sounds like my jazz. If I play the short scale it sounds like my stubby wee shortie. If I’m throwing the thumb at something I can add zing at the tweeter and fine tune. I prefer a less crispy top end so not really my thing but slapping does come across  loud and clear. Folks will know you’ve changed techniques!

I don’t see so many available but there should be some out there at a good price as guitar guitar did a massive sell off 8-10yrs ago. 

C4898520-61F1-4ABB-AA90-0F8D5C544E2A.jpeg

7039EFC7-09B2-428A-8131-85D05C5F9B5B.jpeg

Edited by krispn
Pic’s baby!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@AndyTravis I should add that the top amp in my pic above is a slippers delight. It’s super clean and the eq can be dialled in to be an absolute slap machine. It has a contour button which is instant slap in and of itself but then three bands of semi para eq. If you see one going up for sale give it some consideration. It gets compared to the ThunderFunk heads and for good reason. 1200w at 2ohm 😧 plus you can bypas the eq for a more neutral ‘sound of the bass’ sound.

Edited by krispn

On 13/06/2021 at 22:49, krispn said:

1200w at 2ohm 😧 plus you can bypas the eq for a more neutral ‘sound of the bass’ sound.

1200 W @ 2 ohm = 600 W @ 4 ohm = 300 W @ 8 ohm (but not always) 

Peak or RMS? I do hate these wattage wars when the specs are represented in incomparable numbers.

You tell about the power output, it has to be in RMS @ 8 ohm. And power is not a variable of loudness.

1 hour ago, itu said:

1200 W @ 2 ohm = 600 W @ 4 ohm = 300 W @ 8 ohm (but not always) 

Peak or RMS? I do hate these wattage wars when the specs are represented in incomparable numbers.

You tell about the power output, it has to be in RMS @ 8 ohm. And power is not a variable of loudness.

It’s not a wattage war or anything else simply listing the spec of the head but it’s rated RMS 

Edited by krispn

4 hours ago, krispn said:

It’s not a wattage war or anything else simply listing the spec of the head but it’s rated RMS 

First of all, this is not against you, rather something that I hate from marketing departments. Those numbers are meant to confuse us, players.

True to say that the amp has pretty impressive figures but that 1200 W is also slightly irrational. Not all companies use "watts RMS @ 8 ohm" only because that would offer us numbers that we could compare to some extent. Which is the most: 1200 W @ 2 ohm or 500 W RMS @ 8 ohm or 300 W @ 16 ohm in real life context to an 8 ohm cabinet? I will make few simplifications and say that the figures are 300 W, 500 W, and 600 W @ 8 ohm. Remember that all are practically the same volume wise, because the loudness difference is only few decibels. If all given figures are RMS.