Why become a member? ×

212 cabs for slappers...

AndyTravis

Sorry if it’s been asked before...

I want a lighter cab, hence my EBS 410 being for sale.

I love the air moving but not the lifts.

I’m thinking EBS Neoline 212 or a used Vanderklay at bass direct.

Will a 212 be too mid heavy?

Any experience?

37 minutes ago, itu said:

If someone is able to tell about the response simply by speaker diameter, fine. I am using an alusonic 2 x 12" and very happy with it. 18 kg only.

Just looking for general experience, nothing overtly scientific.

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I actually don’t do huge amounts of it - but it’s part of the sound...

I used mine with a Tecamp Puma or Glock Blue Sky, so I was never going to get anything but ‘modern’, but it was a beast of a cab. Clean headroom for days. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Sorry if it’s been asked before...

I want a lighter cab, hence my EBS 410 being for sale.

I love the air moving but not the lifts.

I’m thinking EBS Neoline 212 or a used Vanderklay at bass direct.

Will a 212 be too mid heavy?

Any experience?

I have an EBS Neoline 212 and if anything it has a slight mid-scoop.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pete.young said:

From memory, 24 Kgs. Revolutionary when new. Probably regarded as mid-weight now. Size is about the same as your 4x10.

Cool. The 410 is a gnats chuff too big for my current car boot - will have a scan 👍🏼

I knew you'd get sick of the weight of that 410! :P

The 212 is my favourite neo cab from EBS if that your thing. That selenium tweeter is the  secret sauce of the cab, really makes that top end ping and is a monster for slap. Dont go for 2 EBS 1x12 cabs. I've always found that they fart out.

If you are struggling with the car boot - then the 212 from EBS probably not going to help  - it's just 8cm shorter in height.

• Thanks 1

Just now, EBS_freak said:

I knew you'd get sick of the weight of that 410! :P

The 212 is my favourite neo cab from EBS if that your thing. That selenium tweeter is the  secret sauce of the cab, really makes that top end ping and is a monster for slap. Dont go for 2 EBS 1x12 cabs. I've always found that they fart out.

If you are struggling with the car boot - then the 212 from EBS probably not going to help  - it's just 8cm shorter in height.

Ok. Car boot I can live with - and 10 years ago the weight wouldn’t have been an issue. In fact 15 years ago I used to use SWR Goliath cabs which were a similar weight.

In hindsight it’s probably part of why my back isn’t as good as it should be.

20 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I want a lighter cab, hence my EBS 410 being for sale.I love the air moving but not the lifts.

The obvious answer is to get 2 x 210's.

IMO a 212 would be fine for slap. But then my preference is for Larry Graham's thumping and popping, not Mark Kings metallic ping-pong.

Just now, chris_b said:

IMO a 212 would be fine for slap. But then my preference is for Larry Graham's thumping and popping, not Mark Kings metallic ping-pong.

Yeah, it’s extra boxes though. And I’ve just moved from a 2 cab set up.

Thing is, there’s nowhere near me stocking EBS or Vanderklay etc...so, will have to see what S/H stuff is available to buy to eliminate the dreaded depreciation 🤣

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

My EBS rig is 2 x 2x10s... (actually, it's 4 2x10s) - but the combined size of the two cabs is quite a bit taller than the 4x10 if fitting into a boot in in play. 78cm vs 69cm

I'll chip in, but don't take anything I post as being accurate as I've recently been accused of both being deaf and not having a clue by a member on these pages recently.

Ignore what's sitting on top of it in the photo below, but seriously, consider Darkglass enclosures...for a while now I've been looking to go with a pair of 1x12s, but did consider a 2x12.  Tried a pair of Aguilars, a pair of Barefaced, but as things panned out, the 1x12 arrived on my birthday in December...I'll add a second one later, or if Darkglass get around to it, a 1x15 so long as they can squeeze a 15 in a cabinet the same width (they should be able to).  As things stand, I adore the 1x12; it doesn't ponk.

They do a 2x12 (https://www.darkglass.com/dg212n/) which is under 20kg, the 1x12 is 12.5kg,specs are here(https://www.darkglass.com/dg112n/)

20201201_110713.thumb.jpg.13351cedb3e197ffa41dcc771c5deae1.jpg

Edited by NancyJohnson
For comical effect.
  • Thanks 1

If I were looking for a cab for slapping, I'd look very closely at the tweeter being used. Some makers - not very many - fit good quality tweeters to their cabs but most fit a generic cheapo Foster of P.Audio phenolic diagram bullet tweeter, which is awful and one of the reasons so many bass players turn them off.

Sad to say, no bass cab manufacturer fits a genuinely high quality HF unit. If you want one of those, you need to be looking at a PA cab.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevie said:

If I were looking for a cab for slapping, I'd look very closely at the tweeter being used. Some makers - not very many - fit good quality tweeters to their cabs but most fit a generic cheapo Foster of P.Audio phenolic diagram bullet tweeter, which is awful and one of the reasons so many bass players turn them off.

Sad to say, no bass cab manufacturer fits a genuinely high quality HF unit. If you want one of those, you need to be looking at a PA cab.

@stevie is absolutely right... but as most people know, I ditched bass cabs quite some time ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stevie said:

Not specifically for slapping, think I sold myself a bit short there - I actually don’t slap much at all anymore, but since owning the ebs cab - it’s got a little more click when I do which means if I am slapping (which occurs every now and then) I don’t have to try as hard 🤣