Why become a member? ×

Cheap Gigging Amps?

BenWilliams

I'm a uni student needing an amp for gigging local venues. It needs to be small enough to fit in my dorm and preferably a light combo, but still good enough for gigs (no practice amps)

My budget is £150, £200 at a real push. Any suggestions? I know it's not a lot of money to work with

This - 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_block_300b.htm

And any bass speaker you can find. There's this -

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_solidbass_210t.htm

- but it's quite a weight.

Its quite a small budget for getting something that will do well at a gig - but the ICE power amp in the Harley Benton 300b is giving your a decent enough foundation in the power amp department. (Found in pretty much all the 300w class D offerings).

If you can get Peavey BW cab (1x15 at 4ohm enabling you to throw all 300w at it), that would probably be recommendation for a 1 cab solution. I know you asked for combo... but you know, throwing it out there. Something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-Black-Widow-18-speakers-115-BX-BW-bass-cabinet-In-excellent-condition/324566682352?hash=item4b91ae8af0:g:NUUAAOSw4UVgN9FS

EDIT: FFS, forgotten VAT trap again. That may be blowing the budget somewhat.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

Buy once, buy right.

Up your budget to £300 and get something like a second hand fender rumble 500 combo.

It's as much as you'll ever need,  a combo, light and reliable.

If you stutter around the £150 to 200 mark you'll either need to upgrade eventually, not like the weight or want to change.

The rumble will also hold its value. And is a great gigging combo.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, la bam said:

Buy once, buy right.

Up your budget to £300 and get something like a second hand fender rumble 500 combo.

It's as much as you'll ever need,  a combo, light and reliable.

If you stutter around the £150 to 200 mark you'll either need to upgrade eventually, not like the weight or want to change.

The rumble will also hold its value. And is a great gigging combo.

^ top advice. The Rumble 500 is a great option too.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2021 at 11:33, Supernaut said:

It has to be the Peavey TNT combo. 

My singer has one, one of the red trim 90's (??) ones. Does the job live, gigged his about 5 years back and would use it again if I needed to. All the bass and volume you can need at 150w, easily good enough to gig. 

Also look at some of the older Warwick amps, I had a "sweet 15.1" or something, 1x15 speaker, plenty of volume and lovely sound. Not light but had side handles so easier to carry short distances or longer with a mate. 

On 13/04/2021 at 12:57, Ed_S said:

This looks alright for a couple of hundred depending on your ability to pick it up. Both from the shop initially and then in general.

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/ashdown-mag-300-ii-bass-combo-**collection-only**-2nd-hand-yashdown105596/

I've bought second hand gear from Rich Tone before and they were good to deal with. If the OP can get to Sheffield...

Yeah it's all about big heavy combos at that price I'm afraid! Ashdown MAG 410 being my choice but plenty more just as good.

I guess it depends what a 'gig' is though. Most people, myself included, picture shed-building drummers and mostly-deaf guitarists. What's your band? Do you have a decent pa? 

Edited by Jack

13 hours ago, Bankai said:

I don't think you'll hit all your criteria I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Yeah it's all about big heavy combos at that price I'm afraid! 

Soz gents have to disagree, but only because @BassBunny nailed it when he said:

On 12/04/2021 at 20:55, BassBunny said:

Should be able to pick a used TC Electronic BG250 for that budget.

Light, loud and perfect for your situation.

Had one myself as my first full band combo a few years back, before I traded up to a MarkBass AC 121 Lite, and it was just fine. I heard a TC BG used more recently by the bass player in a large band at an outdoors gig in Victoria Park and he sounded great; in fact I was slightly taken aback when I spotted he was using a TC BG 250 combo and not something more high end.

I'd recommend the 12" (over the 15" which I had) as it should give you a tighter sound overall and is a little more compact. Built in tuner and TonePrint options are a nice bonus. They seem to be out of production, but come up used reasonably often and you should be able to get one comfortably within your budget. Here's one that sold on the forum recently, which provides a very good description of the unit:

TC Electronic BG250-112 Bass Como with Roqsolid cover in good condition - Amps and Cabs For Sale - Basschat

On 12/04/2021 at 20:55, BassBunny said:

Should be able to pick a used TC Electronic BG250 for that budget.

Light, loud and perfect for your situation.

Just followed my own advice and picked up a BG250-112 with a switch 3 for really silly money. 🙂

• Like 1