Why become a member? ×

'78 Gibson RD Artist Bass low output issue

Peejay

Hi all

I wondered if anyone could help with the above.

I've owned my '78 Gibson RD Artist Bass from new and it hasn't been gigged for years, so it spends too much time in its case. I love the versatility of the bass (despite its weight) but recently noticed that the output volume had dropped massively. Changed the battery and no difference. Everything seems to work OK apart from the output is lower than all my passive basses, so suspect that it may be a pre-amp issue?

Anyone resolved a similar problem, or perhaps know someone in Yorkshire who could fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

IMG_1847.JPG

Hope it isn't a preamp issue.  I had to change the battery snap on a '79 one I had a while back.  Can't remember if it was cutting out or just doing weird things - might be worth changing anyway, they don't last forever.  Also, you have the '78 with the two three way switches - try cleaning those contacts up with switch cleaner/fine sandpaper.  Hopefully some simple TLC will get you up and running again.

Thanks for your reply. It's possibly a poor solder joint or pot because all the onboard stuff works fine. Found an amp guy in Leeds who will take a look in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed. I'll change the battery connector anyway based on your suggestion.

I think it's oxidation that's the issue. 43 years old and bound to have a few issues. Amp tech says he'll check that out.

It's really the only problem I've ever had. Neck is that good that it's only ever required one tweak of the truss rod. Apart from a partial re-fret and replacing the 3 point bridge with a Hipshot it's all original.

Thanks. I've owned it since new and despite its weight I love it. Neck has only ever needed one quarter turn of the truss rod in all that time.

It's not that complicated really and I rarely use the onboard effects to be honest, but it's so versatile without them.

Hopeful that I'll get it sorted without too much fuss.