Why become a member? ×

🎻DROPPED DOUBLE BASS 🎸💔

Yes I was so angry being a novice Rockabilly Bassist. Thought that my Learning was over before it started! 

3/4 Size bass dropped to the floor, the breaking the neck at(I don't know nane) 

"The Dovetail " with a clean break and need advice and someone to fix for me please. I stay in Greenock... Please any help appreciated.. IMG_20210407_094203.thumb.jpg.ceec31aaaddd29d29b054c644415a678.jpg

IMG_20210407_094325.jpg

Edited by theememphisflash

• 3 weeks later...

Clean break.  Maybe made from timber that was "green" ie not well seasoned.  

Dropped mine once and the fingerboard came off.  What actually failed wasn't the glue but the wedge between the fingerboard and neck.  "Aha" said Mr Luthier, "green maple ;-)"

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

Looks like broken glue joint though.

23 minutes ago, NickA said:

Clean break. 

Exactement, mon brave.

I've had exactly the same break on a DB neck, and it looked exactly like the photo.

Edited by Happy Jack

Drill right through the fingerboard and drive a couple big ole screws in, then bodge some wood filler in and colour it in with sharpie. That's what someone did to my lovely King Mortone. Held good for decades and never held me back

It's known as the Traeger method  ;o) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, PaulKing said:

Drill right through the fingerboard and drive a couple big ole screws in, then bodge some wood filler in and colour it in with sharpie. That's what someone did to my lovely King Mortone. Held good for decades and never held me back

It's known as the Traeger method  ;o) 

As it happens, that's exactly what Thwaites have had to do to my Zeller following this incident:

• Sad 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2021 at 11:18, theememphisflash said:

Paul can you see me details and how to do this job any pictures or what I should buy a pictures over it would be really helpful boyfriend

Ha, I was kinda joking, although what I say is true. Its certainly not a fix old Chuck Trager would recommend ... but yeh that's how my peg box is held on. It's an ugly fix, but who cares. It works.

A luthier would do something similar, just neater.

That website Andy linked to seems to show the way...