Why become a member? ×

Removing stickers/adhesive from wood

Avantcourier

Hi everyone - long-time-lurker-first-time-poster here. As of today I am the proud owner of my first DB, however its previous owner had decorated it with a sticker that I’d like to remove. The sticker itself will come of easy enough but is going to leave some of the adhesive, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for ways to remove the adhesive without ruining the varnish?

Thanks in advance!

try warming with a hair dryer... glue sometimes 'balls-up' when rubbed or pushed with a thumb or finger...

try lemon oil if you have some to hand fo the board... the citrus oil helps, often cleaners use orange oil.

Sticky Stuff Remover?

Edited by PaulThePlug

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I always use lighter fuel - I used to use an orange scented product called 'sticky stuff remover' which was good but I suspect it was just lighter fuel with added orange oil.

Is that stuff ok with varnish?  If so citrus degreaser might do it too.  Cleaned my cello strings with cellulose thinners when I was much younger ... you can still see the spots in the varnish it dropped on 45 years later.

21 minutes ago, Avantcourier said:

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I ended up trying sunflower oil as I had some already and it worked a treat.

Now to actually learn how to play the thing...

I discovered this suggestion by accident. The original suggestion was peanut butter (which apparently works) but I didn’t have any, so used some tahini we had in the cupboard (basically, very similar to PB in my mind in terms of texture/components). I had another sticker issue later and as tahini was quite messy (it’s one of those jars that seems to live in the store cupboard for ever) and reasoned that it was the oil that was the main factor; ta da!

• Like 1