Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot amp and cab

SteveXFR

Does anyone have experience with a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX amp and 1048H cab?

I can't find any info about either. I think they were made in the 90's but that’s about all I know. 

I'd be using them for metal so loud, low tunings and lots of fuzz sometimes. Would they be good for that? I currently have an Orange Terror 500 (the old style) and OBC212 isobaric cab, Would the TE setup be better with a band? Would the Orange head and TE cab be a better combination?

"Better" is always subjective....personally I'm a big TE fan and can't find anything I like more. If you were a youth in the 80s/90s you probably grew up with TE as the voice of your youth.

I'd be looking for a good head to pair with some modern lightweight cabs. I think that Vanderkley are a good match.

That is just a pre amp without a power amp - an additional power amp will be required to get any sound out of it and you're then lugging around two  heavy boxes around instead of just one. If you want a TE amp you'd be better off with something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Bass-Amp-GP12SMX-AH400SMX/203346501401?hash=item2f58655f19:g:YpsAAOSwwCpgWPJA

Yes sorry, I thought there was always some indication of power amp rating on the front fascia but I have a brochure for the mk5 range and can see now that the AH150 is cased up just like this amp with no mention of any power rating, just the pre-amp type. Presumably it says something on the back?

If you get it out of the sleeve and take the lid off you should see the amp details on the power amp board. It will be either a 250 or a 150. If it's all that loud it's probably the 250 making around 160w at 8 ohm. 

For metal you'll want a pedal in front of it that doesn't neuter the low end as you dig in and make it grindy.

On mine it's pretty well out of MOAR at 4 on the output when the input gain is just hitting the red on occasion, per the manual. 

On 18/04/2021 at 03:46, Downunderwonder said:

If you get it out of the sleeve and take the lid off you should see the amp details on the power amp board. It will be either a 250 or a 150. If it's all that loud it's probably the 250 making around 160w at 8 ohm. 

For metal you'll want a pedal in front of it that doesn't neuter the low end as you dig in and make it grindy.

On mine it's pretty well out of MOAR at 4 on the output when the input gain is just hitting the red on occasion, per the manual. 

Spot on, though I could never get the input gain red light to trigger on mine, even with the hottest pickups / lots of onboard EQ. Might have to turn up the output level controls on any pedals you use to get there..

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Spot on, though I could never get the input gain red light to trigger on mine, even with the hottest pickups / lots of onboard EQ. Might have to turn up the output level controls on any pedals you use to get there..

I have my gain on full, even with no pedals in the loop (a passive precision), there's a Trace at the rehearsal studios we use, I always turn the gain up to full, when I return the following week it's down to about half, I do wonder what basses the others are using

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

I have my gain on full, even with no pedals in the loop (a passive precision), there's a Trace at the rehearsal studios we use, I always turn the gain up to full, when I return the following week it's down to about half, I do wonder what basses the others are using

Could be putting pedals in front or maybe just rehearsing at lower volume. With the input down a bit there's a bit more control to the output knob as it comes on strong from '1'.

The 1048H cabs are pretty much 'wall of sound' when cranked. Late 90's green carpet boxes are rated 300w @ 8ohms. The drivers are Celestion G10T-80's so actually it's more like 320W. The horn is usually a Fostex 150W unit so you could argue that they are rated at 470W rms @ 8 ohms. A lot of Trace Elliot gear is very conservatively rated. The only thing worth a watch on these cabs is the horn attenuation switch which can wear out. If it's working ok and on full it can be really painful to be near it at volume. These are great cabs for grungy metal tones with the horn on about half and the treble up on your amp. They are also very efficient cabs. A 150 watt GP7SM will scream with a good 1048H cab even at 8 ohms. I used one of these for a while but the cab weight and size was its achilles heel...

1048H-1.thumb.jpg.5b6ca0cd770d2e4be81ee3165cbeb46c.jpg

• Like 1

Those were the days! Two 4x10’s and a bright box with an AH400smx. An absolute wall of gut wobbling power, and big enough for anywhere. 
Sadly I got older and more fragile and my venues got smaller. But oh how I miss looking up at that green glow and the sensation of the air hitting me in the back!

7ACB0788-1E0D-4D03-BF0C-46BE93EBE5A9.jpeg

10109469-16CE-4111-8D51-DB81BAE0BD8C.jpeg

• Like 1