Why become a member? ×

You go and see a favourite artist live and come away seriously disappointed.

Cliff Edge

Lamb of God. They were on the same bill as Anthrax and Slayer a couple of years ago, and I was looking forward them as I've got a couple of albums and quite enjoyed them.

Anthrax were on before them, and were amazing.

LOG didn't look like they were even trying. They sounded tight, and were obviously well rehearsed, had a stage set up but just stood still throughout their recital (not a performance).

Funny thing is, Slayer did pretty much the same thing, but were just more entertaining.

Go figure.

48 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'm not a huge Depeche Mode fan but I think they're a good band, write some good and interesting material and always seemed great live from what I've seen on the tv and internet. So, I always wanted to go and see them and a couple of years ago my brother (who's a DM fanatic) got us tickets for their date in Birmingham.

Perhaps it was because we were sat up in the gods to one side, the stage partially obscured by the speaker array hanging from the roof, and that those around us all sat there for the whole gig like they were at a funeral (I include my brother in that), BUT it was the most disappointing gigs I've ever been to. It was utterly 'cold'. Depeche Mode performed as you see them on those great live videos on YouTube, but actually being there was really meh.

From then I've said I wouldn't go to another stadium gig.

From my experience 90% of bands playing in stadiums and large arenas fit into that category. It’s a fairly sterile experience not just because of the lack of intimacy by the time large sums of cash are required for tickets the audience becomes a little less diverse...

• Like 1

Iron Maiden for me. Anthrax supporting- Definitely just after "No prayer for the dying" was released. It was at Wembley Arena. Quite likely the same group of gigs that @RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE referenced earlier. Adrian Smith had left and Janick Gers had joined. Maybe Bruce was half out of the door, you never know. Nothing like as good as Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour was.

That stands out as being a bit lacklustre among many really good gigs I've been to. There have been some really surprisingly good ones, too; They Might Be Giants were utterly superb. Witty, Funny, didn't take themselves too seriously.. musically excellent,  though. 

Frank Black and the Catholics played some Pixies tunes for a laugh and had an uncontrollable mosh break out during Debaser and Monkey Gone to Heaven that left the band  somewhat perplexed. 🤣