Why become a member? ×

You go and see a favourite artist live and come away seriously disappointed.

Cliff Edge

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

James Brown/Red Hot Chili Peppers at the City Of Manchester Stadium.

Apparently a support act called “chicks on speed” were booed and bottled off stage.

James Brown was god awful - which didn’t help matters and then John Frusciante came on stage and “told off” 20,000 fans.

He got booed. 

The set was downhill after that.

I was at that gig with a mate. Both felt we'd had a good day out at the end of it. Opening act were arty and amateurish, appeared to be there through connections than any musical merit but I dont recall them cutting the set noticeably short but agree they didnt go down well. Main acts were pretty much as I expected them to be and as I wasnt a big fan of either it was always likely to be a 'one and done' kind of gig for me.

I 've probably missed a few to mention here , but the immediate ones that spring to mind : Iron Maiden/ Anthrax Wembley arena on a Sunday night.Anthrax were really good and I'm a fan of theirs. Saw maiden many times, but after anthrax me and one of my friends got bored of them after about half an hour and had a couple of drinks in the bar and went home. Never  thought maiden would be so poor live.

Went to see janes addiction at the London Astoria . My friends raved about them, and they had the rehabitual album out. Imho they had flashes of good songs and awful ones. Anyway, as they were about the lights dimmed, Perry Farrell was carried to the stage wearing some sort of toga eating grapes. I left,as I didn't pay to watch frankie Howard . I got drunk in the angel pub up the road. 
Went to see Celtic frost at hammy o .Kreator support. Kreator were brilliant .

The frost started brilliant with the most dry ice I've seen at a gig. I got bored after about half an hour due to a half empty venue and left. I saw them again and they were much better. 

Deep purple house of blue light tour Wembley arena . They were awful. Gillan had the flu I'd say and was moving the mic.away to cough randomly and continuously. 

Then there was warrior soul who headlined a gig in London ( probably Astoria ?) The frontman started lecturing us about politics . We left . Tosser.

Mordred at the marquee ( a poor mans faith no more / chillis ) were awful at the marquee . The frontman with a painted face was an arrogant tool..Probabky the most annoying frontman on a par with Bono 

Soeaking of Bono : after paying almost £80 to see them at Twickenham on the vertigo tour I think. I only went because I lived in Twickenham at the time and my friend wanted to go .He ruined my night . Putting on rags and telling us we should all co exist . There were signs all around the venue to text now and make a difference . Coming from the multi millionaire who should've been assassinated for being the best Jimmy swaggert impersonator . The rant went on for about half an hour but was a traumatic experience . 

As for the chillis . I saw them at the marquee on the positive mental octopus tour and they were great . I purchaeed mother's milk and returned it .

They were good at the town and county club and Astoria . Boring as sin at Wembley arena wearing just socks . 

Tthats enough to be getting on with ...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Buzzy said:

Van Morrison, seen him twice and both times have been massive disappointments. Absolutely no interaction with the audience and the vocals we just a slurred noise.  Would never bother again even if the tickets were free.

Van Morrison and the The Be Good Tanya’s (separate gigs) same utter indifference to the audience bordering on contempt. Lacking any energy and just going through the motions. Pisses me right off TBH there are so many struggling artists that are as talented but often haven’t had the breaks or exposure that would give anything to be given the opportunity squandered by the likes of Van Morrison. Cantankerous, miserable waste of a stage. Yep I wasn’t impressed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Waited to see the Deftones for a long time, saw them at the Manchester Apollo before Chi Cheng’s accident - they were...erm.

Shite. Pure shite. 

I saw Deftones in 1996 at Bristol Anson Rooms and they were brilliant. An hour and a half of non stop energy, one of the best gigs I've been to. Saw them again about ten years ago and the band were good but Chino couldn't sing.

Not sure if it's drug related but the guitarist recently came out as a flat earther and general conspiracy theorist.

32 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Van Morrison and the The Be Good Tanya’s (separate gigs) same utter indifference to the audience bordering on contempt. Lacking any energy and just going through the motions. Pisses me right off TBH there are so many struggling artists that are as talented but often haven’t had the breaks or exposure that would give anything to be given the opportunity squandered by the likes of Van Morrison. Cantankerous, miserable waste of a stage. Yep I wasn’t impressed.

My older brother went to see van Morrison at Hammersmith . He says van did a couple of songs and just walked off . My brother is still a fan of his and admits that Morrison is a cantankerous old bar steward but a genius in his opinion . 
My 2 bosses/ colleagues played van Morrison to death when I used to work with them . I heard all the stuff he recorded up until 1999. I hated most of it , although there was one song about Justin and a goldfish which was brilliant 

I saw a video of him and he was very good . 
From what I remember in the '80s in the press it was him , Dylan and mikes Davis who had reputations about how they treated their session musicians and fans ..

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

It's quite telling how pretty much everything I ever read about Morrison contains phrases like "utter indifference to the audience", "contempt", "going through the motions", "cantankerous" and "miserable". Yes it infuriates the hell out of me too, for the same reasons. If he hates it/his fans so much, he should just pss off and leave the opportunities to people more deserving. Covidiot wnker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's quite telling how pretty much everything I ever read about Morrison contains phrases like "utter indifference to the audience", "contempt", "going through the motions", "cantankerous" and "miserable". Yes it infuriates the hell out of me too, for the same reasons. If he hates it/his fans so much, he should just pss off and leave the opportunities to people more deserving. Covidiot wnker.

He is the father Jack of music ..😼

16 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Melvins - seriously unpredictable live. Once was one of the best gigs I'd ever seen, another time they'd decided to treat the audience to an hour of deafening drop-A droning.

I just don't get The Melvins. I mean I love Grunge and I love heavy music but they seem to be tuneless noise to me.

My biggest disappointment was at a festival. Rory Gallagher came on and it was clear that he was blind drunk. He was fluffing, forgetting to sing and disappearing for long periods, leaving the bassist and drummer to carry on. The set was cut short and it was a shame as he died not long after that. We must have been witness to his long downward spiral and addiction to the bottle. He had been a hero of mine as a teenager.

• Sad 1

Smashing Pumpkins. Don't get me wrong: good sound, great light-show, good singing and playing from the band but a)zero interaction with the audience and b)I could just as well have stayed home and listened to the CD because it sounded just like the CD. Again that's fine but SP played all the songs just like on the CD.

Guns 'n' Roses at the time of the Use Your Illusion CDs. Then again, I was expecting them to be crap and they were crap (with an half an hour 'unplugged' session in the middle). So, technically they didn't disappoint me.

• Haha 1

An Eric Clapton gig several years ago, somewhere in London, possibly the Albert Hall.

No chat, not even a thank you after a number. 
Damn good though. 

Same thing when my wife went to see Chris Rea. 

Shut your eyes and you could be listening to a juke box. 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

It's quite telling how pretty much everything I ever read about Morrison contains phrases like "utter indifference to the audience", "contempt", "going through the motions", "cantankerous" and "miserable". . . . .

I know a drummer who was recording with VM and he was a nice, pleasant person throughout the sessions. At that point he was off the booze. Which might have something to do with it.

Another one for the Chilis I'm afraid.

This time at Coventry Ricoh Arena in 2006.

First problem was that it was the Stadium Arcadium tour, in hindsight that was the point I lost interest in the band, so any set showcasing songs from that album was never going to be great for me.

Second problem was that the band just didn't seem into it at all. They were barely interacting with each other let alone connecting with the audience.

I think at that point in the tour John Frusciante had already decided to leave so I suspect relations within the band may have been somewhat strained.

The third issue was that I'd seen them on fantastic form at Slane Castle in Ireland a few years before, playing what was basically a greatest hits set, which just made the Cov gig seem even more disappointing by comparison.

Edited by Cato

Just as an aside, we did a gig for the same promoter who famously stopped a Finlay Quale gig and offered the audience a full refund. This went viral about 5 years ago.

My own personal disappointment that stands out was in April 1988, Def Leppard on the Hysteria tour (the curtain didn't open until about 3/4s of the way through the first song and the sound was shocking - apparently the next night was much better). I was 14 and had liked them since Pyromania. I sort of forgot about them after that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My latest disappointment wasn't down to a bad performance but the audience. We went to see Seether a couple of years ago and the whole evening was ruined by a sea of effin mobile phones. one girl was even filming it on her iPad! Why, oh why can't people enjoy a band without having to record it? The resulting clips are invariably rank rotten when they end up on YouTube!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, upside downer said:

Guns N' Roses at Wembley Stadium in August 1991. Utter cack.

Guns N Roses at Download in 2006 were pretty bad too, it was quite memorable and entertaining though. There were a lot of delays and Axl walked off a few times, I seem to remember him slipping over and everyone laughing, there were big noodling instrumental interludes before Axl came back on and he said something along the lines of 'don't you know who I am'  to which the crowd chucked more drinks (and probably some pi$$) at him and started chanting 'who are ya! who are ya!' 

Edited by SumOne
  • Haha 2

On a serious note - Black Crowes supporting The Stones at Wembly on the Voodoo Lounge tour. Stones were amazing (though there was a really nasty atmosphere in the crowd.. not experienced that before) - Crowes were in their "jazz"phase.. musically ok but boring as frig.

Rush, Birmingham NEC, 30th anniversary tour, early 2000's.

Was a big Rush fan up until that point but the gig itself was like listening to the CD. Left me cold. 

I was stood next to an obsessive Rush fan who lived every minute which didn't help. 

Geddy is still a hero though.

22 hours ago, PatrickJ said:

Never seen RHCP live, but when I ever I see a live performance on YT they sound awful.   Frusciante, as much as I love him as a guitarist, went through a phase of deliberately flipping gigs up.. I can imagine many have walked away disappointed from a fair few of their shows.

That was 30 years ago! Jeez. 

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Another one for the Chilis I'm afraid.

This time at Coventry Ricoh Arena in 2006.

First problem was that it was the Stadium Arcadium tour, in hindsight that was the point I lost interest in the band, so any set showcasing songs from that album was never going to be great for me.

Second problem was that the band just didn't seem into it at all. They were barely interacting with each other let alone connecting with the audience.

I think at that point in the tour John Frusciante had already decided to leave so I suspect relations within the band may have been somewhat strained.

The third issue was that I'd seen them on fantastic form at Slane Castle in Ireland a few years before, playing what was basically a greatest hits set, which just made the Cov gig seem even more disappointing by comparison.

I was at that gig and thought it was great! 

• Like 1