Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton wireless system

JohnDaBass

44 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...and also £44 cheaper than the relatively recent Boss WL-20 (new). But I managed to pick up a pair used for sub £90 and am totally loving the form factor and ease of use!

I would have got one of those but there was some comments that it didn't work with some ibanezes and I couldn't find a confirmation whether it was true or not. Just that and the battery thing, although I am pretty sure you could hack them apart for that.

44 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The WL-20s have even less latency than the SH and are brilliantly compact. Should give me a bit of scope of adding a few digital pedals into the mix post lockdown without the audience storming off because I sound like I have slap-back delay on every track.

I do have slap back delay on every track (as well as the original, just to thicken it up!)

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I would have got one of those but there was some comments that it didn't work with some ibanezes and I couldn't find a confirmation whether it was true or not. Just that and the battery thing, although I am pretty sure you could hack them apart for that.

I do have slap back delay on every track (as well as the original, just to thicken it up!)

I can "officially" confirm that one for you Woody - the WL-20 doesn't fit into the recessed socket of any of my Ibbys: SR1825, Portamento or GVB36, so I'll be reduced to using good old fashioned leads with those.

A bit of slap back at 90MS delay can work a treat (very sparingly in my sets, I'll have to admit!) but Tape Echo, on the other hand, even from something as cheap and cheerful as a Zoom B1-4...now you're talking 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

I'm talking about the additional latency that is added on top of your playing. That 10ms you talk of is already there, even when you are using a cable. Now add your latency on top of that - say ....10ms of delay. Now take that into Logic and tell me you can't feel the latency.

I have said before I can feel the latency - just that it is not an issue live in my situation.

Slower network doesn't come into it. Propagation losses on a 5Ghz network are substantially higher than a 2.4Ghz ..

Yes, I am refering to the amount of devices in the 2.4GHz range rather than the 5GHz

You are completely forgetting that a bass note is not made up of it's fundamental but what we hear are mostly it's harmonics.

Of course I am not. 

Put a sine wave in your favourite DAW at 40hz (bottom E on a bass) and tell me whether that is anything like what you hear from your bass. Probability is that your bass cab can't even produce that note cleanly anyway - nor would you want it to to if you are using your bass on stage anyway... but that's a completely different discussion.

Indeed it is, so lets not bother.

Oh, I understand now. I used the Helix and SmoothHound as an example of where you could run into trouble with IEMs going through a digital desk. If it works for you, that's great. Nobody is disputing that.

Hoorah, as it really sounded like someone was disputing that.

Thanks.

PS transmitter

PS - whatever anyone wants to call it. Thanks

• Thanks 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

I can "officially" confirm that one for you Woody - the WL-20 doesn't fit into the recessed socket of any of my Ibbys: SR1825, Portamento or GVB36, so I'll be reduced to using good old fashioned leads with those.

Oh I hadn't even thought of that. I read somewhere (I assume here, not sure) that there was something in the wiring of certain models (including the 1605) which caused an oscillation with the power (as it uses a stereo plug).

Shame - I love the form factor. I would probably still get one if they turned up cheap somewhere. I seem to have lost my cheap chinese thing that I used in the house.

Just now, Al Krow said:

A bit of slap back at 90MS delay can work a treat (very sparingly in my sets, I'll have to admit!) but Tape Echo, on the other hand, even from something as cheap and cheerful as a Zoom B1-4...now you're talking 😊

I can't remember what mine is set, it is on the Helix HX FX, and it is permanent on effect.

I did some more reading as my (not particularly in-depth) list didn’t seem to be received too well (I didn’t think I would be marked upon it - it was merely a quick example).

Seems there’s quite a lot of 5ghz units out there - I would wager they are all using the same 5ghz system that can be probably traced back to one factory in China where it’s is just put into generic units for rebranding.

People may/may not be interested to know that this wireless is a rebranding of a Chinese origin unit - the Aroma ARG-07

http://www.aromamusic.cn/en/products-62.html

Seems like they (Aroma) has got a good range of products for the price. If you like to partake in Chinese import from source, there’s a lot of cool stuff for not a lot of money.

Thomann done well to spot this example I reckon - and having the HB and Thomann link will give people the confidence to buy. Not that this is new - a lot of HB is similar to this... as was Nusonic (rebranding of Chinese goods) and laterly Swissonic.

Anyway, looking forward to the review - I’m sure that it will operate just fine - but I must admit I’m intrigued by the tuner performance as this is clearly going up against the GLXD on a budget.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Thomann done well to spot this example I reckon - and having the HB and Thomann link will give people the confidence to buy. Not that this is new - a lot of HB is similar to this... as was Nusonic (rebranding of Chinese goods) and laterly Swissonic.

The HB one is actually cheaper than a lot of the Aroma 07 kit direct from china. And has the advantage of not having aroma written on it!

They do a nice dongle one though, the 05

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Has this landed yet?

Landing tomorrow, some glitch with PayPal holding the order as "Pending". Got an email from Thomann to fix the glitch, I think it's something to do with the new export stuff.

I picked up some of the dongle type ones (dongle on both sides) from aliexpress the other day, as I can't find the ones I used at home or for 'other band practice' (when I don't take the pedalboard). They were £30 so i thought I would give it a try to see if they are any good.

• Like 1

Well it finally arrived Thursday.

First impressions, there's no UK adapter on the 9v psu, (email sent to Thomann) it's very light, seems quite robust for plastic, foot switch has a very positive action and the LED screen is clear & bright.

Once fully charged I'll run some listening tests.

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 1

Transmitter is 90mm X 45mm X 15mm, is very light, just a few grams with a nice bright display. The angled jack plug sits really well on basses with bottom mount sockets and with surface mount sockets. The transmitter folds nicely into the bottom contour of the bass. It sits neatly onto the receiver base unit with quite a strong magnet.

The base receiver unit is 95mm x 130mm x 30mm, comes with stick on rubber feet that should be easily for some Loop & Hook tape for fixing to the pedal board, made from a robust plastic the base receiver has a non adjustable bright display. The tuner works "Okay" is adequate but registers pitch slightly flat compared to my other tuners. Nothing really to be worried about. Setup at home and the unit works really well with no ( not to my ears) apparent latency. Remember my ears are 70 yrs old and have been abused over the years. The "cable tone" effect works very well and found that the optimum position for my setup was 12 noon. It offers a wide range of adjustment and seems to be more flexible than the simple ON/OFF/LONG/SHORT offering of others.

The setup I used to test the unit was  P Bass>>>HB AirBorne>>>Thumpinator>>>>Zoom B1 Four>>>>Tech21 VT Bass DI>>>>>Fender Rumble 500>>> BF Super Compact.

Clearly this is a value for money solution that fits my pocket for performance and price. It will go permanently onto my small Pedal Board but with the Thumpinator positioned in such a way that if the HB Airborne ever failed I could easily plug a lead into the Thumpinator directly.

Apologies for the "Layman" type review, I am sure some of the more technically competent amongst will offer a more in-depth update once more units are in circulation.  

Received an email from Thomann this morning stating that they are unable to supply a UK adaptor for the Airborne PSU. But they are kindly going to send a EU to UK converter FOC.

https://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_adaptor_euro_psu_uk.htm

Problem fixed but it sure looks like Brexit has influenced their sourcing and procurement policy. I will revert back later.

16 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Received an email from Thomann this morning stating that they are unable to supply a UK adaptor for the Airborne PSU. But they are kindly going to send a EU to UK converter FOC.

To be fair, they never really supplied a UK adapter for electrical stuff, but they normally send a converter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

https://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_adaptor_euro_psu_uk.htm

Problem fixed but it sure looks like Brexit has influenced their sourcing and procurement policy. I will revert back later.

I don't know about Brexit, I bought a few things from them over the years, many came with european plugs/adaptors. 

On 20/04/2021 at 11:38, Woodinblack said:

I picked up some of the dongle type ones (dongle on both sides) from aliexpress the other day, as I can't find the ones I used at home or for 'other band practice' (when I don't take the pedalboard). They were £30 so i thought I would give it a try to see if they are any good.

Which ones did you get?

52 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Which ones did you get?

The Aroma ARG- 05 based ones. Two small dongles with jack plug and with USB sockets for power. I had some of the older type but I seemed to have lost them, and those are convenient for practices or just playing when I don't have my pedalboard.

• Thanks 1

On 26/04/2021 at 13:37, JohnDaBass said:

Which ones did you get?

They turned up today. Almost comedy big, but sound great, very clean / clear, no hiss and fits in the jack socket of every instrument here (including the ibanezes). Even at double the latency (I am sititng 2M from my speaker) it doesn't notice to me, but I will measure it.

All in all, for £30, does the job. Looking at the size I suspect it is similar electronics to the HB one, but with the floor reciever and charging point (which they also do). I suspect this means the HB one will also fit in an Ibanez.

IMG_0560.thumb.jpg.b37410467c13bb5cce0e484cfe4bb104.jpg

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 2