Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L CLF L2000

longtimefred

So I have recently acquired a stunner of a 2019 G&L CLF L2000 that has joined my little G&L family along with my 1989 SB2. 

I love this thing so much, its like a Stingray on steroids and is so comfortable to play. Fit and finish is miles ahead of anything else for this price being a hand build USA instrument. I have a huge thing for  G&L as not much stands up to them, especially those MFD pickups! 

Just thought I would share the moment! 

IMG_20210408_133629.thumb.jpg.a039b0905702af24b6e45b156045b0d5.jpg

IMG_20210408_133744.thumb.jpg.879abf6dfa502b86bb005c5af03ddca8.jpg

IMG_20210408_133656.thumb.jpg.a2df443961088f352cc653d5bdac5bc9.jpg

IMG_20210408_133648.thumb.jpg.09b9375f2343df9340718782ad63227a.jpg

IMG_20210408_133917.thumb.jpg.1b6f8b5f2009e41a149c0350fd77979d.jpg

IMG_20210408_133924.thumb.jpg.43171c0ff20d7f2a9f0a3e8cf55771f9.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Sweet, with the old headstock too. I assume that's a limited thing?

It's a separate line to the regular USA L-2000, the CLF Research line.  Long may it continue, sidestepping the L-2000 the CLF Research line is the only way you'll be getting a new L-1000 and they all look lovely - that's coming from a fan of the the regular modern eye gouger G&L headstock.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Murphy said:

I really wanted one until I realized the body was still the downsized version....

Yours looks beautiful....

But I want everything and the bigger body shape also 👍😎

wow as if it was bigger originally?? Its pretty P bass size to me so wouldn't want it any bigger than that. Its definitely larger than my SB2. 

The range of sounds that come out of it is just incredible. Leo really knocked it out the park with the electronics on this bass.  On most dual pickup basses, the bridge pickup always sounds too thin and weak to use on its own but not this beast. Love it. 

• Like 2

Very nice. I briefly had an L2500 tribute and loved the tone, but having asked the dealer for the lightest one they had was a tad disappointed when it turned up and weighed 5.4Kg! Would love a CLF 2500 in gold and I gather they’re much lighter (around 4Kg). Just a shame about the ugly metal scratch plate which actually works on your bass but doesn’t look so great on the other colours. 

• Like 1

Congrats. Great basses. I recently got a CLF L2K CAR and it is an amazing bass. I have it always in series mode and adjust the other two toggle switches for different genres (e.g., back pickup and active boost for funk, both pickups and active for prog and front pickup and passive for classic rock). So much versatility. 

I also love the look of your black SB-2. I really hope that G&L will re-release both the SB-1 and 2 for their 40th anniversary next year with the old headstock and with black hardware. They re-released the L1k and L2K with the old headstock and the old control plate and toggle switches, so let's hope the old SB-1 and 2 come back too, maybe as part of the CLF line.

• Like 2

On 11/04/2021 at 11:49, Eldon Tyrell said:

Congrats. Great basses. I recently got a CLF L2K CAR and it is an amazing bass. I have it always in series mode and adjust the other two toggle switches for different genres (e.g., back pickup and active boost for funk, both pickups and active for prog and front pickup and passive for classic rock). So much versatility. 

I also love the look of your black SB-2. I really hope that G&L will re-release both the SB-1 and 2 for their 40th anniversary next year with the old headstock and with black hardware. They re-released the L1k and L2K with the old headstock and the old control plate and toggle switches, so let's hope the old SB-1 and 2 come back too, maybe as part of the CLF line.

Just saw this 40th anniversary SB1. No crackle paint :(

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2020/03/25/gl-unveils-40th-anniversary-sb-1-bass/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ped said:

Just saw this 40th anniversary SB1. No crackle paint :(

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2020/03/25/gl-unveils-40th-anniversary-sb-1-bass/

Yeah, I saw that and hope it will become available here in the UK. I checked the usual suspects (Andertons, PMT and GuitarGuitar who are the official G&L distributors here in the UK (at least according to G&L's website)) but no one is carrying one. I guess I could always ask one of them to try and order one (and also get me a black pickguard) but let's hope G&L comes up with a SB-1 anniversary model with black hardware next year! Something like this one:

1114159428_GLSB-1BlackandRed.thumb.jpg.ea46b53a9bb982975c0956582e16422c.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

That bass is beautiful.

On the hunt for black/maple L2000 tribute, unfortunately the US is too much too afford :(

the MFDs sound like they would be great

MFDs are fantastic pickups.

Hope you like chunky necks - unless they've changed them in recent years, the one on the Tribute L-2000 is like a baseball bat sawn in half :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G&L should reissue the El Toro bass. Those basses have got a cult following and sell instantly on the second hand market.I remember them when they were current, but I've never got to play one. I still remember perusing the G&L adverts in Guitar Player magazine in the early 1980s and thinking how great theu looked in Fullerton Red 

These CLF bass look (and sound) fantastic to me , by the way. I really fancy one. 

• Like 3