horrorshowbass

Sire V7/V9 vs Player Jazz vs Sandberg Electra TT

As the title says.

The 3 contenders for my next jazz.

Help me decide guys, anyone with any experience?

The v9 looks the business and is cheaper than the player series, Sandberg around 700 but lovely too.

These posts are always very subjective but will share my views as i am currently avoiding the housework!

The Sire will have the most flexible sound options in terms of it's preamp - assuming you're not having an all passive option that is. Sire have been pretty consistent in my limited experience, although often a tad heavy.

Not tried a Player series Fender but  have had many Fender Jazz basses. My first thoughts are it will probably have a better resale value being Fender, some good colour options to be had by the looks of it.

Not tried the Electra Jazz but i have an Electra P, and other Sandberg's (i have a nice Jazz alike for sale actually...ahem!). I have often thought about pairing my Electra with the Electra Jazz as the P has been simply amazing in terms of build quality, sound (active and versatile for modern and vintage), overall looks (black/maple in my case),  andmine is under 8lbs so nice and light.

Having owned a few Sires, and many Fenders, I would take the Electra over the others by far, no competition in my view. The P also has a Jazz width neck should you also fancy twins one day.

Good luck with your journey :)

3 hours ago, Raslee said:

These posts are always very subjective but will share my views as i am currently avoiding the housework!

The Sire will have the most flexible sound options in terms of it's preamp - assuming you're not having an all passive option that is. Sire have been pretty consistent in my limited experience, although often a tad heavy.

Not tried a Player series Fender but  have had many Fender Jazz basses. My first thoughts are it will probably have a better resale value being Fender, some good colour options to be had by the looks of it.

Not tried the Electra Jazz but i have an Electra P, and other Sandberg's (i have a nice Jazz alike for sale actually...ahem!). I have often thought about pairing my Electra with the Electra Jazz as the P has been simply amazing in terms of build quality, sound (active and versatile for modern and vintage), overall looks (black/maple in my case),  andmine is under 8lbs so nice and light.

Having owned a few Sires, and many Fenders, I would take the Electra over the others by far, no competition in my view. The P also has a Jazz width neck should you also fancy twins one day.

Good luck with your journey :)

Hi @Raslee 

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes I was eyeing up your sandberg bullet bass, lovely yoke altogether ;) what's the neck profile on it? 38mm at nut?

I'm still thinking I want a US Fender jazz some day just to see what all the fuss is about but my opinion changes all the time :)

As many have said before me, the Sires are incredible VFM but weight seems to vary considerably so try one first. You can pick one up for under £200 - you would have killed for a bass this good for £200 when you started playing.

I've always felt Fender basses didn't always live up to expectations but I started playing in the 80s when the build quality at Fender was abysmal. Most of those would have had their issues addressed by now but I can't get past my early bias.

My Squier Standard PJ is a lot of bass for your buck and they appear on eBay weekly.

10 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

As many have said before me, the Sires are incredible VFM but weight seems to vary considerably so try one first. You can pick one up for under £200 - you would have killed for a bass this good for £200 when you started playing.

I've always felt Fender basses didn't always live up to expectations but I started playing in the 80s when the build quality at Fender was abysmal. Most of those would have had their issues addressed by now but I can't get past my early bias.

My Squier Standard PJ is a lot of bass for your buck and they appear on eBay weekly.

Thanks @TheGreek

Agreed Squiers are a lot if bass for the money, owned one previously.

Sire seem to be rocking everyone's world especially the rolled frets/preamp and some v5/v7's do pop up on reverb for great money

I had a Sire V7 5 fretless and whilst it sounded great is was very heavy (from memory 4.8kgs?) and had dreadful neck dive. The latter is apparently solvable with lightweight tuning pegs but it was ultimately not for me. Others have reported theirs were lighter so per @TheGreek do try the actual one you might buy first.

1 hour ago, Bobthedog said:

I had a Sire V7 5 fretless and whilst it sounded great is was very heavy (from memory 4.8kgs?) and had dreadful neck dive. The latter is apparently solvable with lightweight tuning pegs but it was ultimately not for me. Others have reported theirs were lighter so per @TheGreek do try the actual one you might buy first.

Thanks @Bobthedog

Yeah sound advice.

I don't mind a heavier bass but neck dive would drive me nuts:)

2 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Hi @Raslee 

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes I was eyeing up your sandberg bullet bass, lovely yoke altogether ;) what's the neck profile on it? 38mm at nut?

I'm still thinking I want a US Fender jazz some day just to see what all the fuss is about but my opinion changes all the time :)

The Bullet is 40mm having just measured it. Nice thin neck depth wise.

I think if you're urging towards a US fender then that's your ticket, 2012-2016's are particularly good second hand wise. Otherwise you'll unlikely be happy with anything else. If you get GAS you'll go through many basses (as i, and many others here, have done), and will probably still wonder what the others were like. When i moved onto Sandberg's having been through literally hundreds of other basses i really thought i'd found the one 'well at least the one manufacturer'...but i still needed a Stingray in my life...and well I recently got a Fender 1974 P....the GAS infliction continues. That said, and having learned on my journey, I would personally take any post 2000 Sandberg over a 2000+ US Fender Jazz standard. Not tried any Fender after 2017 so cannot comment there.

39 minutes ago, Raslee said:

The Bullet is 40mm having just measured it. Nice thin neck depth wise.

I think if you're urging towards a US fender then that's your ticket, 2012-2016's are particularly good second hand wise. Otherwise you'll unlikely be happy with anything else. If you get GAS you'll go through many basses (as i, and many others here, have done), and will probably still wonder what the others were like. When i moved onto Sandberg's having been through literally hundreds of other basses i really thought i'd found the one 'well at least the one manufacturer'...but i still needed a Stingray in my life...and well I recently got a Fender 1974 P....the GAS infliction continues. That said, and having learned on my journey, I would personally take any post 2000 Sandberg over a 2000+ US Fender Jazz standard. Not tried any Fender after 2017 so cannot comment there.

Yeah did the stingray thing too recently. Ended up with a ray34 and it sounds great. Aggressive and sparkly. My first love is my ibanez so I like a thin neck. Bass direct doing Electra TT for 625 which is decent. Sire v9 is 100 quid cheaper and v7 even cheaper again.

Listened to the only demo of the bullet I could find on YouTube. Sounded immense even with the Delano.

Posted (edited)

The Fender Player is a very, very nice instrument.. if I hadn't replaced my Player Jazz with a Roadworn I'd still kicking myself for selling it (because of a momentary Ric infatuation)

Edited by michele