Why become a member? ×

MXR Vintage Bass Octave - Noise reduction resistor

castlemaine22

Hi all,

I recently got a second hand MXR Vintage Bass Octave and it sounds great, apart from there is some chatter and noise when I'm not playing anything with the pedal on. It turns out this was an issue with the earlier models of this pedal and was fixed for newer production runs, and I have been unlucky with getting an older one! It seems that these earlier and noisier units could be fixed by adding a resistor, which MXR apparently offered to install for free. The info I got was from this thread:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-mxr-vintage-bass-octave.1373102/page-12

So my question is, does anyone know the value and position on the board of this resistor, or would anyone be comfortable taking theirs apart to have a look? I've build a few of my own pedals in the past so I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and would be happy to fix it myself without attempting to send it back to MXR for repair.

Thanks in advance :)

On 10/04/2021 at 16:51, castlemaine22 said:

Hi all,

I recently got a second hand MXR Vintage Bass Octave and it sounds great, apart from there is some chatter and noise when I'm not playing anything with the pedal on. It turns out this was an issue with the earlier models of this pedal and was fixed for newer production runs, and I have been unlucky with getting an older one! It seems that these earlier and noisier units could be fixed by adding a resistor, which MXR apparently offered to install for free. The info I got was from this thread:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-mxr-vintage-bass-octave.1373102/page-12

So my question is, does anyone know the value and position on the board of this resistor, or would anyone be comfortable taking theirs apart to have a look? I've build a few of my own pedals in the past so I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and would be happy to fix it myself without attempting to send it back to MXR for repair.

Thanks in advance :)

Not sure of the value I’m afraid. I got a replacement from MXR via the shop I bought mine from. Even if you bought used, you’ll be able to get MXR to fix it for free as it was an acknowledged manufacturing fault. The fix is worth it too as it makes a big difference. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

I actually also emailed MXR to try and get the resistor information, they put me in touch with their UK distributor who swapped the pedal out for a brand new one! Their customer support is fantastic, the entire process look less than a week. I now have a brand new pedal for the price of a second hand one, so I'm pretty chuffed :)

10/10 for MXR!

• Like 3