Why become a member? ×

Good To Be Back

stewblack

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

You've pressed the limiter straight into use I see! 👍

How do you get on with the SRH500? They're lovely looking basses.

An absolute dream of a bass. Plays itself, light, and sounds lovely, with loads of finger based tonal variety. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed that rehearsal very much. Really splendid to lock in with a real life drummer and just sit in that pocket for a few hours. 

The one thing I did wrong was to spend the weeks leading up to the practice playing a bass with a couple less frets than the one I took to rehearse with today. 

Spend the first few songs playing the occasional not sharp through not reaching quite far enough left. 

Once into it all was splendid though. Elf into BF Midget is a wonderful recipe for success. 

• Like 3

In and around Bath and Bristol all are open, social distancing and masks in communal areas. 

In Bath tonight with the soul band and like an oaf I got all excited about the 2 envelope filters together and forgot I use a phaser an octave and a Freeze pedal. 

Or putting it another way, I took the wrong board 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Nice pedal board. I don’t understand what many of them do, but nice pedal board!

Ha! Thanks. The mixer allows me to keep a clean signal and mix it with distortion and/or one or both envelope filters. 

The rest is just tuner, tone and compression. 

• Thanks 1

Jealous! My first isn't until May. Still the benefit of the last year is that the main covers band has been writing / digging previous life originals out & re-recording for our later Lockdown Videos, and after tonight's band Zoom chat the likelihood is that that will continue, along with a newer proggier bunch of songs I've been working on with one of the guitarists to the point that I have so many items on the go I don't know which way to turn. Hopefully I can remember how the covers set goes when we get in the studio last!! 🤣

Just a quickie regarding rehearsing, our band (4 piece) usually rehearse at our singers studio at his home, under current restrictions we cannot legally start rehearsing until May 17th (can’t come quick enough) until groups of up to 6 people can meet indoors, we are not pro musicians, just weekend players.

I assume our bass chatter stewblack is a pro player (lucky boy) to be able to get together with other musicians in a commercial rehearsal studio.

Below are the current rules for commercial rehearsal premises.

April 12th – Solo bookings, small groups from the same household, and working/professional musicians

May 17th – Bands of up to six people

June 21st – Open, no restrictions

Edited by steantval

You are very lucky. Here we have another 3 weeks of lockdown and after that the future looks bleak as we are in a third wave and daily case numbers in Ontario are more than four times higher than in January. No live music anywhere and no rehearsals. Both my bands have horns and vocals and that makes it even more difficult. We will be lucky if we can book any gigs for later this year. ☹️

We had our first proper (non-Jamulus) get together yesterday. Once we had got past the feeling of being let out of a cage and giving it too large, it was great. Finished the day with our first pint at the pub, sitting outside in the freezing cold. Happy days.

20 hours ago, steantval said:

Just a quickie regarding rehearsing, our band (4 piece) usually rehearse at our singers studio at his home, under current restrictions we cannot legally start rehearsing until May 17th (can’t come quick enough) until groups of up to 6 people can meet indoors, we are not pro musicians, just weekend players.

I assume our bass chatter stewblack is a pro player (lucky boy) to be able to get together with other musicians in a commercial rehearsal studio.

Below are the current rules for commercial rehearsal premises.

April 12th – Solo bookings, small groups from the same household, and working/professional musicians

May 17th – Bands of up to six people

June 21st – Open, no restrictions

Not that we're getting together sooner, but the studio that we use has been very careful with what it will & will not do, and has taken advice / instruction from the local council.They were told, and have been working with "you are a working band if you are rehearsing for an upcoming gig", so in theory if we had a pub garden gig arranged and were rehearsing for that we were ok to use the studio.

I suspect it depends on the region, and also how bothered the studio might be about getting pinged for an illegal gathering, and the local authority's view on what is a 'working musician', which is not necessarily a professional - you can be working as a weekend warrior, but not making a living as a pro. I know our studio were getting pee'd off with following rules and hearing of other places that were just going for it willy nilly.