Why become a member? ×

AVERAGE WHITE BAND / Alan Gorrie - Pick Up The Pieces - ISOLATED BASS

Bart Funk Bass

8 hours ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

One of those guys who played what a song needed.

hmm ,, its hard to say sometimes if these are 100% genuine ,, insomuch as bass lines & other instruments are, or can be isolated to a point & airbrushed using pro tools & other musicians filling out the wave file * following the score & checking to make sure it matches perfect , perfect that is, to their own ears,, 

there are advantages / disadvantages

good .. if you really need to listen to a bass line, it can help ,, great if you are a DJ etc too

bad ,, means youtubers can repeatedly clone the bass line or other stock instruments & set up 100s of videos maybe more of any "classic" previously unplayable / tricky / monster awesome, historic isolated stock instrument ,, & rinse it into spam clown world

yet, i would never call it to be banned ,,

eg in this alleged isolated stock instrument track above , the producer of the day eg never bothered to get the stock score on the up beat ?

this was also highlighted by me self regarding bernard edwards ,, good times isolated bass,, that isolated mix was not raw enough to know "exactly how he played it ,, eg the micro notes from the isolated mix uploaded to youtube was blurry

,,, the isolated market has definitely taken off on youtube & other platforms tho guys ,, thanks

I've got no reason to doubt that's the original bass recording taken from the studio multi-track tape. All the little variations are in there. These tracks have been available for years thanks to the Guitar Hero/Rock Band video games, which contained individual stems for bass/drums/guitar/vocals/etc that could be extracted. It's cool that folks keep posting them on YouTube etc, as they inevitably get taken down for copyright before too long.

Edited by MartinB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MartinB said:

I've got no reason to doubt that's the original bass recording taken from the studio multi-track tape. All the little variations are in there. These tracks have been available for years thanks to the Guitar Hero/Rock Band video games, which contained individual stems for bass/drums/guitar/vocals/etc that could be extracted. It's cool that folks keep posting them on YouTube etc, as they inevitably get taken down for copyright before too long.

ok  i never knew that ,, these guys were obviously not telling users exactly where they were getting the stock recordings from ,, like guys like us were like ? no way they were getting these from the studios man ,, i knew something was up ,,

yet still guys ? ,, stock recordings are only a guide , if you follow teachers like scotts bass lessons & other pro players ,, they will sometimes show you the incredible micro notes you cannot hear on many bass lines / music ,, even on isolated stock ,, how to swing the notes into the beat & fret the right way  ,, & the up beat notes ? producers might eg mix down ,,, up beat notes , & they could become un available on the mix purchased by Rock Hero Band & other 3rd parties ,,

thanks man for the detail on rock hero tho man ,,

breaking news ,, cave man bass player finally finds out why everyone has isolated bass lines to clone ,, cheers

I'm speculating about the source - it's possible the OP has access to the original multi-tracks from the rights-holders, and permission to publish them.
You're absolutely right that they don't give you the full picture. What you're hearing is not the raw performance straight from the bass, but potentially a mix of multiple mics on an amp, DI, compression, EQ at the desk, etc etc. Very interesting nonetheless! Makes you appreciate that what sounds like a nice clean tone in the mix is actually pretty weird on its own. Case in point, the bass tone on September sounds absolutely rubbish: :laugh1:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartinB said:

I'm speculating about the source - it's possible the OP has access to the original multi-tracks from the rights-holders, and permission to publish them.
You're absolutely right that they don't give you the full picture. What you're hearing is not the raw performance straight from the bass, but potentially a mix of multiple mics on an amp, DI, compression, EQ at the desk, etc etc. Very interesting nonetheless! Makes you appreciate that what sounds like a nice clean tone in the mix is actually pretty weird on its own. Case in point, the bass tone on September sounds absolutely rubbish: :laugh1:

the jury is out ,, yes they can be / are a great source of information ,, often note how raw some isolated stuff will be ? ,, this could point towards the point often said about players like EWF bass player who when he / they play live ,, never get the chance to lay live stuff down exactly right or truly capture that live dangerous power , & the opposite ,, session guys good clean & tight in studio, bad / dull when they play live ,, 

yet they is no way of ever knowing if any given stock is tweaked, upheld tracks or more ,, importantly stock cannot tell us what the exact (micro) notes are or feel of how the stock is layered out ,, 

that's why its good to also keep learning about texture & many things, pro tips, stage craft , & bass lines

finally tho ,, think isolated music means we probably might see plenty of cloned stuff out there guys ,,, your best isolated joint from you favorite ever band ,, possibly spammed to clown world ,,  never mind, its still good to jam bass  ,, cheers