Why become a member? ×

Zoot “P”

Merton

Well, I’ve got gigs coming out of my ears and talent for days, so why not commission another bass... 🧐

I’ve fancied a black/maple Fender P for ages but just don’t get on with 34” scales anymore. So following some egging on from @eude I started talking to @Cosmicrain about a mad idea for a 32” P-alike and he didn’t tell me to bog off... 😄

The main inspiration for this is the 70s Fender P played by Rick Savage up to around the Pyromania-era tour but of course Roger Waters has his famous signature P which is very similar.

No pictures yet because we only hit the go button a couple of weeks ago, but we’ll keep this thread updated as progress occurs :)

Full specs:

32” Zoot Precision with 10% smaller body to suit the shorter scale

Ash body

Maple neck fitted with titanium rods, 40mm nut width, P-alike neck profile

Maple board with black dots

Lightly aged/roadworn black finish

Neck and board finished with a vintage tint

Black/white/black scratchplate

Lindy Fralin 5% overwound P pickup

Passive electronics Vol / Tone

Chrome Hipshot hardware with their Vintage bridge

Schaller straplock buttons

Of course Mike is renowned for using some of the sexiest maple you can find for necks (see my Funkmeister for example) but I’ve specifically told him not to worry about that here because (in my head at least) 70s Fenders didn’t go for highly figured lumps of wood. He’s also known for his stunning finishes (see the recent Funky 5 he built for @MattW here https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/429761-5-string-zoot-bass-build/?do=findComment&comment=4374720) but again, I’m making him deviate from that for the mildly aged look. It’s a wonder he still talks to me really 🤪

Edited by Merton
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...

Er.

Well.

This never quite got out of the starting blocks due to various reasons. This was a blessing though, because last year Mike shared some photos of a bass he’d built for a guy in Japan and I got a bit over excited about how lovely it was. So on Mike’s suggestion we paused this idea and switched. I popped over to Essex today to catch up with him and finalise “my” version of that spec. It’s going to be tasty:

Zoot Funkmeister 5 string, 32” scale

(slimmed down standard Funkmeister 5 body to suit)

3-piece maple neck with black stringers, stolen unashamedly by me from @GreeneKing’s recent Zoot
Maple fingerboard with dots along the top side (rather than middle of the fingerboard)

Aguilar AG 5P 60CL pickup
Passive, volume/tone plus series/parallel switch

Chrome hardware
Badass bridge from Mike’s stock, cut for ~17.5mm ish string spacing 

Hipshot ultralite tuners

High gloss “Arctic White” finish on body and headstock front

Tort scratchplate

Edited by Merton
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Had a great catch up on the phone with @Cosmicrain yesterday (mostly to do with graphite necks and broken feet, don’t ask!), but the progress of this baby was mentioned and Mike has kindly sent across some photos this morning. Have to say it’s looking pretty damn fine. “Just” the painting and final assembly/set up to go now (essentially a creamy white is how it’ll end up, I think Mike can explain it better than I) - we all know Mike’s finishing is top notch so it’s going to be a cracker. Love the scratchplate, all those tort haters can shush 😀

F404F897-455C-44AD-B388-1A5DF4AD89F2.thumb.jpeg.199310495610faefbe3612a5b108e95d.jpeg

8E41E408-930F-4CB3-B814-5641573A9369.thumb.jpeg.9c6119791dbd8112ea06696b3f82e76c.jpeg

78BD6325-1432-4C7C-B0B0-6FF1C10EFEA2.thumb.jpeg.f0d5dc28213bf3375f68562e20866f69.jpeg

12486F31-8F31-4EE1-89A6-8D4674DF2097.thumb.jpeg.ad1143c3623fd506aa02ff543e341515.jpeg

C057A610-82FF-41AE-83E9-2FA5FF90E0C6.thumb.jpeg.93ed6be9d0063c7773181c6d8bfff853.jpeg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...