Why become a member? ×

NBD - The "Dood"

Nibody

I think I have a problem. This started as a natural finish P bass body on Ebay that "I don't really need but was too good a price to pass over". Then someone on here was selling some Greco pickups... "I dont REALLY need but too good to pass over"... then an Omega Badass clone on ebay - you guessed it "FAR too cheap to let it slip away"... Then a 1991 Samick made Squier neck fitted with wilkinson tuners... yup... "must have that"... Then "oh look, I have an orange drop cap and a couple of CTS pots in the parts bin..."

I already have a Cort made 1996 Squier p bass.. and I have virtually stopped playing,, but I really think I have a problem/addiction...!?

I have named her "The Dood" in honour of our very own Dood who I saw just after putting it all together playing a very similair looking (albeit actual Fender) p bass in a video demoing the Steve Harris Tech 21. Somebody stop me please, I am supposed to be downsizing...

dood4.jpg

dood3.jpg

dood2.jpg

dood1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nibody said:

Noooo... I can only stand Tort plates on Burst basses....get thee behind me satan!

Tort and natural was a thing once, you know - now, in my new found role of Satan I’m off to recruit some guitarists to join here 😈

Edited by Geek99

I am genuinely touched! I've been having really rubbish day today and this has absolutely brightened it up. Yeah, still have a leaking sink and my To Do list is longer than my arm and I can't remember what free time feels like, but this.. THIS! :) has made my day :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

049A8E2C-4091-4C40-A375-C44B5F92A636.thumb.jpeg.6945674336d492ccf324591d79a012b8.jpeg

This is my first natural P bass that I stupidly sold about 25 odd years ago and apparently lives in a studio in Suffolk somewhere. If anyone sees this bass, please let me know!! Note the pickups and the holes drilled near the E String.

1286B7AF-4A87-40F8-AFF6-EA32FFD8F74D.thumb.jpeg.3831be0f6c8208dfc83f39fe9db6e862.jpeg

• Like 3

And here is current "Dood" from that very session recording the SH-1 review. It's a 1976 precision, Ash body and a very skinny slip of rosewood for the fretboard. I'm gonna have to agree, I'm in the "black pick guard" camp, even though my passion for natural P basses does stem from John Deacon's sunburst model that he stripped the finish off. He left the original tortie guard on it all the way up to the point of having the refinish in black with gold hardware around 1985.

(Yes John did also have a second precision that he stripped the finish off too, which is often identified by having a silver Fender logo rather than the black "TV script" style logo of what became his "main" bass.

Places - 2 of 2.jpeg

Places - 1 of 2.jpeg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Nibody said:

[snip]

I have named her "The Dood" in honour of our very own Dood who I saw just after putting it all together playing a very similair looking (albeit actual Fender) p bass in a video demoing the Steve Harris Tech 21. Somebody stop me please, I am supposed to be downsizing...

dood3.jpg

It's a beauty! I love it!!!!

4 hours ago, Nibody said:

I think I have a problem. This started as a natural finish P bass body on Ebay that "I don't really need but was too good a price to pass over". Then someone on here was selling some Greco pickups... "I dont REALLY need but too good to pass over"... then an Omega Badass clone on ebay - you guessed it "FAR too cheap to let it slip away"... Then a 1991 Samick made Squier neck fitted with wilkinson tuners... yup... "must have that"... Then "oh look, I have an orange drop cap and a couple of CTS pots in the parts bin..."

I already have a Cort made 1996 Squier p bass.. and I have virtually stopped playing,, but I really think I have a problem/addiction...!?

dood4.jpg

dood3.jpg

dood2.jpg

dood1.jpg

Wait a minute... :D

"(and Im not about to buy another Schaller 5string 3D in black and Gotoh tuners in black! Mr Nibody is all spent up)"

33 minutes ago, 2020Jazz said:

Wait a minute... :D

"(and Im not about to buy another Schaller 5string 3D in black and Gotoh tuners in black! Mr Nibody is all spent up)"

errr... 😬😏

early birthday present.. until Friday it had a cheap chinese no-name maple board neck on it - perfectly serviceable but... the Jones's kicked in (before I saw the blinking black schaller 3-D 5 string bridge in the classifieds.

I have owned (to my vague recollection) about 14 p basses over the years - and of those I thing about 2/3 I put together from parts on a whim and a moment of impulse spending  "well.. I bought a body so.... may as well get a neck.. and pickups.. and tuners.. and a bridge..." Yep I have a serious addiction. "P Bass Bitsers Anonymous" anyone?

My past NOT self built were..

• 1976 US refinished in Purple burst (I miss it so bad)
  • 1996 MIM "Black Logo" in black
  • 1990's MIJ 62RI Photoflame in Blueburst
  • 2012 US FSR in hand stained wine red (reappeared in the classifieds a month or so back)
  • 1996 MIK Squier in Midnight Wine
  • SECOND 1996 MIK Squier in Midnight Wine (it may be the one I sold in the late 90's above... cant remember the serial number but some dinks look VERY familiar!)
  • 1970's Maya Lawsuit copy
  • One of those German Copies with the "butcher board" body and the wierd plastic plug on the back (name escapes me...)
  • 1988 Encore

Thats just the P's/ Add about 4 J's, 2 Spectors, Three Warwick Rockbasses (Vampyre, 5 string Streamer LX and Streamer standard), Washburn XS4 and XS5, Cort action 3/4 size, Some odball Charvell copy, A couple of Ibanez (1980 RS900 and SR305B), Two Epiphone T Birds (Thunderbird IV and a Tbird Pro IV)... I DEFINITELY have a problem.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nibody said:

errr... 😬😏

early birthday present.. until Friday it had a cheap chinese no-name maple board neck on it - perfectly serviceable but... the Jones's kicked in (before I saw the blinking black schaller 3-D 5 string bridge in the classifieds.

I have owned (to my vague recollection) about 14 p basses over the years - and of those I thing about 2/3 I put together from parts on a whim and a moment of impulse spending  "well.. I bought a body so.... may as well get a neck.. and pickups.. and tuners.. and a bridge..." Yep I have a serious addiction. "P Bass Bitsers Anonymous" anyone?

My past NOT self built were..

• 1976 US refinished in Purple burst (I miss it so bad)
  • 1996 MIM "Black Logo" in black
  • 1990's MIJ 62RI Photoflame in Blueburst
  • 2012 US FSR in hand stained wine red (reappeared in the classifieds a month or so back)
  • 1996 MIK Squier in Midnight Wine
  • SECOND 1996 MIK Squier in Midnight Wine (it may be the one I sold in the late 90's above... cant remember the serial number but some dinks look VERY familiar!)
  • 1970's Maya Lawsuit copy
  • One of those German Copies with the "butcher board" body and the wierd plastic plug on the back (name escapes me...)
  • 1988 Encore

Thats just the P's/ Add about 4 J's, 2 Spectors, Three Warwick Rockbasses (Vampyre, 5 string Streamer LX and Streamer standard), Washburn XS4 and XS5, Cort action 3/4 size, Some odball Charvell copy, A couple of Ibanez (1980 RS900 and SR305B), Two Epiphone T Birds (Thunderbird IV and a Tbird Pro IV)... I DEFINITELY have a problem.

At least it's not methamphetamine, right? :D

1 hour ago, Dood said:

I am genuinely touched! I've been having really rubbish day today and this has absolutely brightened it up. Yeah, still have a leaking sink and my To Do list is longer than my arm and I can't remember what free time feels like, but this.. THIS! :) has made my day :) 

Considre it payback for the uplift your unpretentious laid back, informative video's give me when I watch them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

@Dood do you have a YouTube channel?

I have over 350 review videos in Guitar Interactive Magazine - which is a free mag every month delivered to your inbox (subscribe for free) . http://guitarinteractivemagazine.com - a lot of the video reviews are also shared on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/iguitarmag 

My own YouTube channel, I had planned to start working on but life has a habit of getting in the way. You can find it at http://www.YouTube.com/DanVeallBassist and I would really appreciate some subs. 

For those who like a tech read, I write every month for Bass Player Magazine in my own column called The Last Note.  

Anyone wanting video demos, voice overs or reviews recorded, well I can do that too and I'm freelance and well cheap :) inquire within, as they say. 

46 minutes ago, Dood said:

I have over 350 review videos in Guitar Interactive Magazine - which is a free mag every month delivered to your inbox (subscribe for free) . http://guitarinteractivemagazine.com - a lot of the video reviews are also shared on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/iguitarmag 

My own YouTube channel, I had planned to start working on but life has a habit of getting in the way. You can find it at http://www.YouTube.com/DanVeallBassist and I would really appreciate some subs. 

For those who like a tech read, I write every month for Bass Player Magazine in my own column called The Last Note.  

Anyone wanting video demos, voice overs or reviews recorded, well I can do that too and I'm freelance and well cheap :) inquire within, as they say. 

Excellent ah I know who you are now :)

Great reviews

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Excellent ah I know who you are now :)

Great reviews

Thank you,  that's kind of you to say! I'd love to be able to step it up and get more creative with them, maybe when budget allows!