Why become a member? ×

Pre order wait times...

uk_lefty

I'm hankering for a new bass and haven't fully decided yet. Some of the Fender models I want need to be pre ordered and the wait if I order now is to early June. Its a long wait but at least there's a date on it. If I can't raise the cash for a US Fender I may go Epi Jack Cassidy. And apparently I can pay a deposit now to be "first in the queue" BUT, this is what I don't understand, Gibson / Epiphone might deliver at some point in future, might not and nobody knows what will be in the crate. Knowing their poor record on lefties this doesn't fill me with confidence that I will actually ever get the bass, nevermind when. 

Has anyone got "better" info on this from a retailer perspective? Is it really a lucky dip with Gibson/ Epi deliveries for what they will send you and when? 

I work in retail, albeit not musical, to be honest right now supply chain is in the most difficult position I have seen it in my 20 years experience. 

The global shortage of containers mixed with the ongoing largely undiscussed implications of brexit, and on top of the covid restrictions are playing havoc with most companies inventory availability. 

Some companies will put dates on products being available, but all you have to do is look at any post  by a company on Facebook and you  will see disappointed customers high jacking the comment thread. 

Others don't take orders for stock they don't physically have. 

Two different philosophies, one is don't take money for stock you don't have, and you avoid disappointing customers, but run the risk of losing orders. The other puts an order in your books  but you have the risk of disappointing customer if stock doesn't arrive when you think it will. If a retailer chooses this route communication is key. 

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation for retailers to be honest. 

• Like 1

With regards specifically to Fender I spoke Andertons a few months back about a skinny stringer I wanted to order.

They told me that during last years lockdowns Fender sold out just about their entire planned 2020 production run of instruments across most of their lines over the course of just a few months.

In terms of numbers of instruments sold 2020 was Fender's biggest year ever since they started as a company.

Andertons have been unable to get more stock for 8 or 9 months because there was no stock to be had anywhere in the Western hemisphere.

Fender have now completed extra runs of part of their 2020 catalogue so some of those have started to trickle in to UK retailers and more will arrive over the next few months, but combined with the whole shipping container shortage, which is another issue, supplies are likely to remain intermittent for some time.

I'd guess production of the 2021 catalogue may also have been delayed.

I'd imagine all the big guitar manufacturers are in a similar position.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

Sorry to revisit this again but...

I pre-paid for my TE Elf at the LBGS after being advised "end of March...if not, definitely April" - eventually September. This, pre COVID..

You can't hold a salesman personally responsible for a company's failure to deliver, 

Wait till it's on the shelf.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Sorry to revisit this again but...

I pre-paid for my TE Elf at the LBGS after being advised "end of March...if not, definitely April" - eventually September. This, pre COVID..

You can't hold a salesman personally responsible for a company's failure to deliver, 

Wait till it's on the shelf.

Yes absolutely agree there, hence why I didn't name the retailer. It was just the way they talked about Gibson/ Epiphone was that it seemed to be a general lucky dip, open the delivery (it's a surprise what day or month it arrives) to see what we've got an try to sell it, rather than place an order for stock you want to sell. 

I am sure that the Fender estimated dates will slip out too, but at least there's a target. 

I'm thinking about ordering a sire v5 from thomann. It's out of stock and I got a pretty honest response from them.im paraphrasing ....

"Our distributor tells us delivery will be at the end of May but honestly we can't say for sure"

I guess orders can be cancelled for a full refund if parts dont turn up within the quoted time?

I had this a bit with my Betsy bass last year, which I ordered early July.

Spoke to The Bass Centre quite a bit and they had the delivery date from Korea and it was looking like a delivery in late July/early August.

Eventually turned up in early November, in this case beyond their control as they couldn't get the EMG pick-ups due to EMG shutting down due to COVID. Was slightly more annoying as I was the 11th order and they had pick-ups for the 1st 10 in July.......

But Barry kept me upto date and even offered my money back until the EMG's turned up.

I'm in clothing retail - most stock is imported by my major supplier - they have at least one container on board a ship which is currently stuck in the traffic jam at Suez (don't believe the press, the blockage is clear but there is a pretty significant backup), this is after fighting to get what stock they could from a pandemic-struck continent (or two). there is no certainty that I will get much of what I pre-ordered, but the situation has eased since last year when there was virtually zero stock available/arriving. Delivery dates are a total lottery ...

😎

Edited by taunton-hobbit
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Reading these comments makes me think I made the right move ordering from Jon Shuker.

I wanted a P bass with a J neck and went right around the houses in my thought process.

Custom build to my spec with roughly the same wait time and probably not much difference in price.

Yeah I definetely agree if you can support local luthiers it's always a good shout. I have another Alpher coming at the end of the month, which I'm very much looking forward to. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Reading these comments makes me think I made the right move ordering from Jon Shuker.

I wanted a P bass with a J neck and went right around the houses in my thought process.

Custom build to my spec with roughly the same wait time and probably not much difference in price.

If he will do me a left handed hollow or semi hollow for less than £800 I'll pay my money down right now. 

I bought a Pelham Blue Jack Casady through PMT a fortnight ago. They said it would probably be between three weeks and three months. I basically figured I can't spend any money they've got and it'll be a nice surprise when (if) it arrives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I bought a Pelham Blue Jack Casady through PMT a fortnight ago. They said it would probably be between three weeks and three months. I basically figured I can't spend any money they've got and it'll be a nice surprise when (if) it arrives. 

Thanks, that's far better than the info I got from a different retailer! 

56 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Thanks, that's far better than the info I got from a different retailer! 

I think that was just the standard Epiphone/Gibson lead time, rather than specific to the JC bass. 

I don't even know what I pay as it's dropped £20 since paying a deposit. Do I pay the price when PMT send it out or the price it was when I ordered it? Either way it's not the end of the world, I just want to get my sticky mitts on it. 

I don't know how much of it's luck and how much is background shipping arrangements.
I preordered my Sire from Andertons around a month before their "expected" arrival date for the stock (that was in February), it arrived at their warehouse the day they said it was expected and mine was delivered the next day.

That was quicker than my chat with a support guy there had expected it to be with potential customs delays, unloading stock, getting deliveries arranged and such.