Why become a member? ×

Quiet open A string - fender jazz

waylander

Hey All

Update : so I think it’s either the eq on the amp and/or the bass itself. I dug my old thunderbird out and initially had the same issue.

with that one turning the tone right up helped bring the sound out more. However the jazz didn’t work with the same treatment

original post:

ive got a fender jazz bass with a quiet open A string problem. When played acoustically or with an mxr thump pedal it’s fine, all sounds equal. However when just going into the amp going from a fretted note to an open the sound drops noticeably.

one thing that might/might not be related is the four middle magnets on the pickups are elevated, idk why it was done by its previous owner and I haven’t got round to getting it sorted. 

it could be how the settings on my amp are. I haven’t played around much to find my tone yet so if there’s any eq suggestions I’m open to them

any thoughts on what’s causing it?

016BFB0C-B394-434B-A681-223961CA8610.jpeg

Edited by waylander

The raised pole pieces look fine. Some J pups have staggered pole pieces like this to compensate for the string radius. If fretted notes on the A string all sound strong, that indicates all is generally good with the string, frets and pickups. A weak open A would then suggest an issue with the nut, or somewhere up that end.

Edited by ikay

Just now, hooky_lowdown said:

If the string sounds fine acoustically as the OP says, how would a different string improve output amplified?

Don’t know , but it’s the first thing I would try as Sherlock Holmes said it’s a process of elimination 😊

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Have you tried a different string 

I have, the current strings are about a week old, before that I had done nickel wound strings on and it did the same thing.

Ive just updated the original post. I tried a different guitar and had the same problem initially. With the second guitar turning the tone up got more noise out of the string but the jazz didn’t change much even with tone up max

Edited by waylander
  • Like 1