Why become a member? ×

Red Sub Coliseum *Updated again*

Machines

Some of you may recall I purchased the 6 string fanned fret Coliseum last year . I sold it a few months ago as I had since bought another 6 string which was more comfortable and the headstock dive was a pain when playing in studio.

Well, the prices have since gone up from £299 to £349 for the 6 string, and there's a fair few videos of them now on YouTube. What I haven't seen at all in the wild however, is the 4 string model. It's not fanned fret, it doesn't have a low B and is standard scale so quite unremarkable right ?

Gear4Music have had A LOT of issues with QC on these Coliseums, and they added some to eBay in a very sorry state (cracked headstocks and binding falling off worst culprits). I spotted a 4 string model however with what looked like just cosmetic issues (neck bolt routing messy, light scratches on neck)). The price was utterly ridiculous at £125 (Under half of RRP !). So I hit BIN.

It arrived today, and whilst it is definitely B-stock, £125 for this is bonkers. It must be well below cost price. I had the 6 before so it wasn't a surprise how it sounded, but still feel like I stole it. Would have paid £269 and still be happy. Will t-cut the scratches, new tuners and this thing is perfect.

CM4_1.thumb.jpg.d9718c2fcb4074648a25507e015c1414.jpg

CM4_2.thumb.jpg.6061be6148c007025cf2e9c09bf6f50c.jpg

CM4_5.thumb.jpg.3a8d7ca20124afe9623cf84fe646f2c5.jpg

CM4_3.thumb.jpg.4f5fddfba4fdec7770cbef848a9a87b0.jpg

Edited by Machines
  • Like 13

24 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Which tuners are you going for, lightweight to counter neck-dive?

It's not too bad as it is compared to the 6, but probably Wilkinson's to keep the price down.

18 minutes ago, outtaseezun said:

Well, i have ordered 3 times from G4M & this last experience with sealed the deal. Hands down the worst online instrument retailer i have ever bought from. Incompetece at its worst. 

No issues in 3 orders for me, but I am in the UK where they are based.

49 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

As you say, loads in "Damaged" on eBay.

I keep thinking they have the worst pallet truck drivers in the UK.

It's a mix of damage and bad production. There's a common theme for finishing issues, mostly sanding marks, poor binding, scratches. But the fractured headstock ones were definitely impact/crush in shipping.

Edited by Machines

30 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

With the recent fanned fret B-stocks, "Not genuine roasted maple" is a pretty serious finishing issue 🤣

It is maple with a stain, it's more of a description issue but it's still a normal maple neck. Considering sanding it but may get tricky around the binding. 

@Machines

If it's a description issue then why do they go to quite a length regarding the benefits of roasted maple.

Quote lifted direct from the G4M spec.

"This comfort is further extended with the smooth, quick feel of the roasted maple fingerboard that has a satin finish. The roasted maple construction of the neck offers a lightweight feel as well as producing a brighter, louder and more percussive sound with a quicker attack, and longer decay. The durable heat and moisture resistant timber won't need adjusting each time you push it hard in a session. Feel the inspiration to tweak your sound into something great."

On 10/04/2021 at 11:25, kodiakblair said:

@Machines

If it's a description issue then why do they go to quite a length regarding the benefits of roasted maple.

Quote lifted direct from the G4M spec.

"This comfort is further extended with the smooth, quick feel of the roasted maple fingerboard that has a satin finish. The roasted maple construction of the neck offers a lightweight feel as well as producing a brighter, louder and more percussive sound with a quicker attack, and longer decay. The durable heat and moisture resistant timber won't need adjusting each time you push it hard in a session. Feel the inspiration to tweak your sound into something great."

I'm quite confident that most marketing descriptions on the benefits of any 'fad' are similarly full of stinky poo.

I get the feeling that G4M specced it with roasted maple, the manufacturer entered a contract to supply to them at cost of X, but didn't bother with meeting the exact spec, and even tried to lie about it. They're made in Vietnam, which is a fairly new market for guitar manufacturing, especially compared to China/Indonesia/Korea etc.

@Machines

I'm with you every step of the way regarding fads.

I'm doing a build just now and I've vowed never to touch torrefied timber again. It's an Obeche body, normally a soft wood but the roasting process has made it even softer. Roasted maple may be lighter but it's also brittle.

I'm also with you on G4M getting stiffed over specs. Roasting adds about 10% to costs, add that to the credit notes for the split headstocks on the last batch it's easy to see the factory chancing using a dye.

• 1 month later...

This video is a pretty good review, which comes down pretty hard. It looks like the OEM has changed the neck joint entirely, it’s down to 5 bolts with no more body cutaway for upper fret access. G4M says they have 20+ in stock now, but if I was to buy one, what would I get? 

Edited by bnt

7 hours ago, bnt said:

This video is a pretty good review, which comes down pretty hard. It looks like the OEM has changed the neck joint entirely, it’s down to 5 bolts with no more body cutaway for upper fret access. G4M says they have 20+ in stock now, but if I was to buy one, what would I get? 

This is the bonus of the Distance Selling Act. Also if something else turns up it's been mis-sold and you have another set of rights for that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/05/2021 at 11:43, bnt said:

I just bought a damaged B-Stock 6 string from Gear4Music on eBay, broken nut and 'knobs scoring marks in lacquer' that you can only see if you take them off, that was apparently enough for it to be sold for £110 instead of £429.

It arrived today, I glued the nut back together and sorted the truss rod out (back bow). It is now utterly fine and i'm sat here wondering why G4M couldn't do that 10 min job and sell it for £275 or something. I intended to make a new nut etc but just wasn't necessary.

So yeah here you go a 6 string fanned fret bass, new for £110 that is absolutely fine. I think someone at G4M has sausage fingers.

COLI6.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Aaaaaaand another one. eBay again, same stupid money (just over £100).

Cracked neck on this one (by 5th fret) but surprisingly stable, minor binding damage on headstock and a small crack in finish on body by 24th fret. Everything else is fine and after a considerable setup, it plays quite nicely.

I have raised an RMA for the finish crack as this wasn't advertised, but depending on if they offer a discount I may keep it. In all honesty it is a serviceable backup for my D-Roc 5.

n.b. Please ignore the potato-cat at the top left, she is sitting on the radiator.

e.image.thumb.png.d5b21600c89193d2f8ee3eb026142151.png

• Like 3

• Machines changed the title to Red Sub Coliseum *Updated again*
  • 3 weeks later...