Why become a member? ×

Help me decide which new Epiphone Bass to buy!!!!!

Denny DeGorio

Hello guys! I'm currently looking at two very distinct basses.These basses are the Epiphone Jack Casady and the Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro.I really just can't decide between these two and am hoping some of y'all might tell me what you think. Which would you choose and why?

20210407_175023.png

20210407_163942.png

That's a 'no-brainer' for me, as I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Casady fan..! Most of my guitars and basses are already semi-acoustic or arch-top, so... The Thunderbird is a fine bass, of course, but wouldn't suit the stuff I play, sitting down in an armchair, mostly. (Yes, I'm old :$...).
The 'standard' answer, of course, will come shortly, so I'll anticipate... Get both..! xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I've owned both. There won't be a bad decision here. If you can, try them to see what you prefer.

This, really. I've got both. They're both wonderful, but very different. I personally prefer the Thunderbird, but it can't do that Casady thing, or vice versa.

The Jack Casady all the way from me. I used to own an Epiphone Thunderbird and found it very underwhelming and underpowered. I used it live a couple of times and I had to alter my volume quite a bit when I changed to the T bird. The Casady just oozes sex appeal.

9 minutes ago, ubit said:

The Jack Casady all the way from me. I used to own an Epiphone Thunderbird and found it very underwhelming and underpowered. I used it live a couple of times and I had to alter my volume quite a bit when I changed to the T bird. The Casady just oozes sex appeal.

That's odd... the pickups on my Thunderbird are much louder than the Casady. The Casady's low impedance pickup gives it that open, airy tone, but does give it a lower output. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

That's odd... the pickups on my Thunderbird are much louder than the Casady. The Casady's low impedance pickup gives it that open, airy tone, but does give it a lower output. 

I have never tried a Casady to be fair. I just like it's look. The pick ups on my Epiphone Tbird just underwhelmed me as I had to turn up my amp when I  changed onto it from my Fenders,

1 minute ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Was it a vintage pro thunderbird? The probuckers on those are certainly not underwhelming.

To be fair it wasn't the pro version.Still, very weak pups.

I have owned both and kept one - the Jack Casady. There's nothing wrong with the T-bird, it's a fine bass but I have just enjoyed playing the Jack Casady more. 

It's light, sounds great, you can mess around with intentional feedback if you like and it looks fantastic.

So, a vote for the JC from me, but I'd echo what's been said about trying them both and if money isn't an issue - just get 'em both :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

What kind of music are you playing?

Talkbass doesn’t encourage detail, but we do! The more info the better. And why Epiphone, specifically?

I've played a diverse variety of music pretty much all of it would probably be under the general term "rock" but being a little older I've played proto-punk, hard rock (not really metal but just as loud) I've played softer stuff, psychedelic, ska-reggae, country (-rock or old classics) alternative, indie, garage-rock influenced punk influenced (started out in a punk scene) I played for a 60's era psychedelic "rock-star" recording artist where a very "Jack Cassidy" like bass would have been best for the style but instead of anything hollow I played a '76 Gibson T-Bird. I live in Austin and I played exclusively in orginal music bands but Austin isn't the original music mecca it once was so I might pick up some blues or country gigs to make a little extra money. Since I once owned a T-Bird but sold it in Germany 40 years ago I haven't had one since and have wanted another one. I took a long break from music and am just getting back into it. Given the chance I'd probably settle into a rock feedback-tinged loud rock band but at least for now will likely need something more versatile. I felt like my old Gibson T-Bird was quite versatile but the one thing all the bands I played in were LOUD back then. All things considered I'm leaning toward the Jack Casady thinking it's probably the most versatile but I've wanted another T-Bird for the last 40 years so it was my first choice in fact I almost bought it but my bank had one of those suspicious transaction holds on my debit card and was declined, maybe that's a sign 😵. When I saw the JC model I liked it and haven't been able to decide ever since. Thanks for the feedback I've been out of the loop and seriously just can't make up my mind!!!!

Edited by Denny DeGorio
  • Like 2

So you’re a rocker at heart, Denny. The Thunderbird low-slung image works for you. But you’re right, the JC is probably easier to fit into multiple genres - especially if, like me, you tend towards rootsier stuff as the years go by.

That said, I have seen the Thunderbird played by a country bassist. It looked daft but sounded fine. So how much do looks and image matter to you? And how broad-minded are Austin bands and audiences? Would be a shame to lose a potential gig cos you look like the guy from MotleyCrue!😬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

To be fair it wasn't the pro version.Still, very weak pups.

13 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

AW, they're so cool in and of themselves. I would have to A/B them in a music store - hey you're in Texas - everything's open there, aint it? I'm in Jersey got my shots, can go anywhere - don't know if Guitar Center has both of 'em hanging.

Yes Guitar Center has to order them but I have 30 days to return it and yes they're open just need to wear a mask. I might buy from them cuz I hate mailing shyt back

Lol - yeah I sorta liked Motley Crue well, until I didn't anymore 😂 but they had the LA look down! My instinct is to care about image and it's part of why I bought my first one, but I grew to love the neck and the way it hung low-slung like you say. I don't wanna look like an old guy trying to relive glory days but yeah folks are open minded especially the real music fans are. I guess I should go to Guitar Center and try them out but if I like the feel of the JC I think it could look cool in a rock setting or anything else really. Yeah a T-Bird has that unique look alright definitely a rocker but if I like the feel I'm really leaning towards the JC I can always get a T-Bird later. Maybe even a Gibson. I think the Epiphone uses the same hardware and the Gibson might use better woods but Epiphone is much better these days. Aren't they still made by Gibson? I see pro bands playing them and they sound good.