Why become a member? ×

Crowd sings the bass line

adamg67

I came across this earlier, I know Dean Town might be a bit overposted but that’s the first time I’ve ever heard a crowd singing along to a bassline, any other examples out there? Seven nation army doesn’t count, it’s not a bass (and its not a bassline either)

• Like 8

Yeah it's pretty cool, I remember seeing a video of them performing Dean Town in Dublin years ago and the crowd singing along. Joe Dart gets a lot of crap for only playing pentatonic, but he is funky. 

I think a lot of the stick he gets comes from people not liking that a current band becomes popular, when they are heavily influenced by other musicians in the past. This seems cray to me as every musician has their influences, and to repackage that music for the current generation is par for the course, and hopefully it leads the fans to the source of influence. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

You beat me to that one. Every time you see Rush live the crowd sings the whole instrumental. It's amazing and shows the level of support these guys had/have.

10 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Yeah it's pretty cool, I remember seeing a video of them performing Dean Town in Dublin years ago and the crowd singing along. Joe Dart gets a lot of crap for only playing pentatonic, but he is funky. 

I think a lot of the stick he gets comes from people not liking that a current band becomes popular, when they are heavily influenced by other musicians in the past. This seems cray to me as every musician has their influences, and to repackage that music for the current generation is par for the course, and hopefully it leads the fans to the source of influence. 

And he’s confirmed he doesn’t write the bass parts as Stratton does all the composing.

JD is happy to be a sideman. 

6 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Made me wonder, do you see more short scale air basses these days?

One looked like he was playing a bass ukulele, but the rest were definitely playing Precisions, with burst and tort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Never the bass line but I've had an audience go off drunkenly singing my backing vocal part all round a hotel for an hour after the gig finished. It was the woooooaaah-wo-woooh-oh-oh but at the end of You Give Love a Bad Name. That was fun. Singer claimed he never heard it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I've never heard anyone dissing Joe Dart. 

And I certainly wouldn't take any further notice of them if I ever did. 

It comes from Jazz & Funk circles. The same people who dislike Snarky Puppy. Upset because people are listening to them instead of 70's fusion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've had a large crowd sing-a-long to the bass in 'Tubestation', in a "Da .... da da da daa, da da dadaaa" fashion, before they all went mental in the pre-chorus and a chant-a-long chorus. 

The fun that is a scooter rally. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 21:38, adamg67 said:

I came across this earlier, I know Dean Town might be a bit overposted but that’s the first time I’ve ever heard a crowd singing along to a bassline, any other examples out there? Seven nation army doesn’t count, it’s not a bass (and its not a bassline either)

They're not singing the bass line, they're singing the melody. 

38 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

Thanks, but I already know how to play it. 

It's the melody, played by the bass, guitar and keys. 

Just like the melody it's based on, Jaco's Teen Town. 

Edited by J_Bass
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, J_Bass said:

Thanks, but I already know how to play it. 

It's the melody, played by the bass, guitar and keys. 

Just like the melody it's based on, Jaco's Teen Town. 

I was just pointing out that other people call it a bass line. You might want to get in touch with them and put them right as well. 

• Like 2