Why become a member? ×

JMJ on Saturday Night Live

Jean-Luc Pickguard

Yes...I watched it too....and it was funny seeing Justin...after first getting into him with Beck...Odelay...Phoenix festival live in 1996..

the SEx pIStoLs headlined and I got to see them the next year in Toronto...

Anyway JMJ looked the same as ever and is a contributor on Talkbass also...

St Vincent...That is a cool gig for him....she seems like the new Prince to me

36 minutes ago, Murphy said:

St Vincent...That is a cool gig for him....she seems like the new Prince to me

I’m not getting that vibe - I feel like someone’s trying to market St Vincent as an artist who’s already had their heyday and is currently in a cool experimental phase.

The first video is like an 80’s Madonna doing a Bowie “fame” tribute...

The second video was like a more recent Madonna performance, and not a very good one.

I know it’s just little old me, and what do I know...but nothing in those videos excited me.

The bass on the second video sounded a bit clumsy too.

All a bit “create a legend by numbers” for me...

maybe I’m cynical. 😉

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m not getting that vibe - I feel like someone’s trying to market St Vincent as an artist who’s already had their heyday and is currently in a cool experimental phase.

The first video is like an 80’s Madonna doing a Bowie “fame” tribute...

The second video was like a more recent Madonna performance, and not a very good one.

I know it’s just little old me, and what do I know...but nothing in those videos excited me.

The bass on the second video sounded a bit clumsy too.

All a bit “create a legend by numbers” for me...

maybe I’m cynical. 😉

U alright hun?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

She's been in a cool experimental phase for her last 3 or 4 albums.

I loved Justin Meldal-Johnsen's tone on the Hofner. I've never really been a fan of the Hofner sound, but there has been a couple of moments lately that make me want one. This track being one of them.

I'm a big fan of St Vincent anyway. She's the only modern mainstream artist that does anything for me. 

Absolutely not discrediting her value as an artist, just seen her doing her own thing a while ago (possibly Jools Holland) and was more excited by it.

Maybe I was harsh. And disappointed by my lack of Man Who Fell To Earth/Evita film night 😉

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

wow...2014 😟

thought this was last year...you know you’re getting old when...ah, wrong thread.

I love that performance, and saw her on that tour. 

She's one of those artists who's always changing her vibe. That clip, and the whole self titled album, was a big change from her previous albums, and the one after (Masseduction) was as different again. The new album look like a change in direction again. That's what keeps her interesting, to me.

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

wow...2014 😟

thought this was last year...you know you’re getting old when...ah, wrong thread.

Still showing a strong Bowie influence back then. Not that far removed from the current offering,  just a bit more immediate hook. 

• 2 months later...