Why become a member? ×

Gear Trolley - what you using ?

dmccombe7

6 hours ago, mcnach said:

I use a foldable one by Wolfcraft. This one in particular, although it cost me nearly £100 3-4 years ago, cheaper now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-5501000-Folding-Trolley-Capacity/dp/B00GN6EYVG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=24DAHXZGADRMY&dchild=1&keywords=wolfcraft+folding+trolley&qid=1617885557&sprefix=wolfcraft+fol%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3

71tH4iyRfBL._SY445_.jpg

I don't use the bungee cords included, I have a couple of ratchet straps that do a better job. I carry a couple of 210 cabs with it plus pedalboard. It folds flat so it takes little space in the boot of the car. I had another of a similar design but was not sturdy at all. It said ok up to 70Kg but even with 30 it was dodgy. This one is solid.

That's the one from Screwfix at £63 and my preferred choice so far.

Dave

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

This is my little wheely thing of choice. Folds completely flat and takes 75kg, more than enough for my needs. Got mine for £20 from Costco, BITD. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HVVSDU/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_glc_fabc_2S6W4AARFNEC3ZCPZ5WE

Did it come signed personally by King John?

• Haha 1

If you want something really sturdy, Wolfcraft all the way. Used for many years for lots of things as well as gear and still as good as ever. Even lifted a heavy Bosch washing machine down three flights of steps without a sweat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's the one from Screwfix at £63 and my preferred choice so far.

Dave

I'm very satisfied with mine. Even used it across fields at festivals and it's holding pretty well. The only thing is I'd recommend a bit of carpet or similar to put at the bottom to avoid damaging the finish of your cabs. My BF Two10's tolex got a bit marked the first time I used it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I'm very satisfied with mine. Even used it across fields at festivals and it's holding pretty well. The only thing is I'd recommend a bit of carpet or similar to put at the bottom to avoid damaging the finish of your cabs. My BF Two10's tolex got a bit marked the first time I used it. 

Yes i would do that with any version i bought. I might glue rubber strip on any points that contact my cabs. Maybe even a rubber car mat cut to size and glued on bottom.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

There was a thread here a while back about trolleys...I used to use a two-wheeler fishing kit thing, incredibly robust.

Interestingly, we gigged several times in London with another (London) band who used the Tube instead of driving; the drummer carried most of her drums on one trolley like the Wolcraft one above, while the guitarist carried the rest of the kit and a small amp on another one.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yes i would do that with any version i bought. I might glue rubber strip on any points that contact my cabs. Maybe even a rubber car mat cut to size and glued on bottom.

Dave

I should do that too, good idea about the car mats. I have a set in the garage that were for my old car and I never used... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

There was a thread here a while back about trolleys...I used to use a two-wheeler fishing kit thing, incredibly robust.

Interestingly, we gigged several times in London with another (London) band who used the Tube instead of driving; the drummer carried most of her drums on one trolley like the Wolcraft one above, while the guitarist carried the rest of the kit and a small amp on another one.

I never thought I would miss the schlepping kit to gigs by public transport as much as I do!

I'll be looking to upgrade my trolley so will investigate all the suggestions here

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

I never thought I would miss the schlepping kit to gigs by public transport as much as I do!

I'll be looking to upgrade my trolley so will investigate all the suggestions here

Remembering back, they supported us at The Dublin Castle one time, two trolleys, two guitars, two Fender combos and Pedaltrains, plus snare/cymbals/kick drum pedal.  Amazing really.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Remembering back, they supported us at The Dublin Castle one time, two trolleys, two guitars, two Fender combos and Pedaltrains, plus snare/cymbals/kick drum pedal.  Amazing really.

Hopefully not derrailing this thread too much:

I played on the bill with a band in the early/mid 2000's called Team B who would travel to all their london shows by public transport with their drumkit and gear in a supermarket shopping trolley.

It was just pre and during the days of myspace and they had photos of various nightbus journeys home with their shopping trolley fully loaded surrounded by drunk passengers 🤣

Brilliant!

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 21:47, dmccombe7 said:

I have something very similar but lighter duty. Mine has smaller wheels, not great on stairs unless the whole lot is tied up and around and light enough to yank up by the gear.

The wheels on that one look on the small side for comfortable stair climbing also. Ideally the wheel needs to ride the lip of the stair tred rather than hit the riser and then bump over the lip.

Short of that, a bigger wheel makes the bump less of a deal, especially if you have pneumatic tyres. I.e.  non folding sack barrow.

Auto parts stores carry all kinds here.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rich said:

This is my little wheely thing of choice. Folds completely flat and takes 75kg, more than enough for my needs. Got mine for £20 from Costco, BITD. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HVVSDU/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_glc_fabc_2S6W4AARFNEC3ZCPZ5WE

Mine is near identical to that one. Cheap and cheerful. The design must have been knocked off by a dozen Chinese factories. It's not like I can to point to where it will break one day, I just know it will. I figure to only put half the rated load on it then it's worth it for the hideaway value.

12 hours ago, mcnach said:

I should do that too, good idea about the car mats. I have a set in the garage that were for my old car and I never used... 

I think we all have a spare car mat in our garages. Its only the drivers one that wears out.

Dave

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I have something very similar but lighter duty. Mine has smaller wheels, not great on stairs unless the whole lot is tied up and around and light enough to yank up by the gear.

The wheels on that one look on the small side for comfortable stair climbing also. Ideally the wheel needs to ride the lip of the stair tred rather than hit the riser and then bump over the lip.

Short of that, a bigger wheel makes the bump less of a deal, especially if you have pneumatic tyres. I.e.  non folding sack barrow.

Auto parts stores carry all kinds here.

The larger wheeled pneumatic tyre types are usually rigid and take up too much space in car. Its a bit of a trade off to get something that works for most occasions. My cabs are lightweight at 19Kg each so i can carry them up or down stairs if need be. If its a long trip on the flat then i can do the cabs and amp in one trip and bass, effects etc on a 2nd trip.

For me it needs to be something that folds up small and takes little space as possible in car. The screwfix Wolfcraft HD one seems to fit my needs best i reckon.

Dave

As a slightly different option ( my back is shot to pieces so I've tried a few options, this worked best for me) , depending on what gear you have, when I used a TC 4x10, I got some really good casters for the bottom of the cab, (think they were about 5/6 inch diameter),  put it in-car last so that it could be slid out onto ground first, then put amp head in it's bag on top of that,rucksack with leads etc on top of that, then carefully wheel that lot into venue, then bass in case on it's own.
I believe the casters were locking too so your rig didn't glide across the pub when you leaned on it while the guitar solos went on, and on, and on.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Mine is near identical to that one. Cheap and cheerful. The design must have been knocked off by a dozen Chinese factories. It's not like I can to point to where it will break one day, I just know it will. I figure to only put half the rated load on it then it's worth it for the hideaway value.

The first one I got was much like this one. It sort of worked but it didn't feel safe, and those wheels just felt one day they'd bend without a support bar between them... and you just know it'll happen at the most inconvenient time possible. I still have it and used it in town for when we busk over the summer festival to carry a battery operated amplifier which is only 10Kg and a bag of accessories, cables etc. You're probably right and there's a factory in China making those under various labels.

• Like 1

My traditional Powerhouse PH212 Mesa cab has exceptional HD castors on bottom and your description is exactly how i move my gear at moment but having gone down the lightweight road with new Mesa Subway cabs the weight isn't an issue as such. The 210 cab is slightly larger in size and its more bulky than heavy. Its more about saving extra trips in and out of the venue when loading etc. I was able to lift my PH212 cab on my own and did regularly do my own lifting. 

I dont want to be fitting castors or wheels to bottom of cabs that have just cost me a lot of money but to be honest its solely down to laziness in walking in and out of venues. Ok if i can park directly at a venue and straight into stage area but some clubs you have to walk all the way thru corridors, bar and even lounge areas to get to the main venue area.

Because of the bulk of carrying 2 lightweight cabs for any distance and thru varying types of doors it can be quite challenging. I used to do it with my Berg AE112 cabs and my MB rig altho they were pretty small 12" cabs.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I think we all have a spare car mat in our garages. Its only the drivers one that wears out.

Dave

In this case I have the whole set! I meant to put it on when I sold the car but I forgot. It'll look a lot better than the very ugly mat with floral pattern I'm using now :D

• Haha 1

Just now, mcnach said:

In this case I have the whole set! I meant to put it on when I sold the car but I forgot. It'll look a lot better than the very ugly mat with floral pattern I'm using now :D

When i bought my 8mth old Volvo from Arnold Clark the drivers mat was missing and i didn't notice till i got home. I called them and they said the could order a set from Volvo but i would need to pay for them myself.

I went thru one of those custom car mat companies and had to buy a full set just to get a drivers mat. Only problem with them is they are material and not rubber but i think i have a spare set from my Hilux kicking about.

If not i'll buy a couple of Halfords rubber mats.

Dave

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

My traditional Powerhouse PH212 Mesa cab has exceptional HD castors on bottom and your description is exactly how i move my gear at moment but having gone down the lightweight road with new Mesa Subway cabs the weight isn't an issue as such. The 210 cab is slightly larger in size and its more bulky than heavy. Its more about saving extra trips in and out of the venue when loading etc. I was able to lift my PH212 cab on my own and did regularly do my own lifting. 

I dont want to be fitting castors or wheels to bottom of cabs that have just cost me a lot of money but to be honest its solely down to laziness in walking in and out of venues. Ok if i can park directly at a venue and straight into stage area but some clubs you have to walk all the way thru corridors, bar and even lounge areas to get to the main venue area.

Because of the bulk of carrying 2 lightweight cabs for any distance and thru varying types of doors it can be quite challenging. I used to do it with my Berg AE112 cabs and my MB rig altho they were pretty small 12" cabs.

Dave

Agreed, castors not an option here. I did have two smaller 2x10 TC cabinets at one point, but because of the awkwardness of moving them, despite their relatively light weight, I found I always defaulted to the wheelable 4x10. Bad backs are a proper curse. Especially as my initial injury was caused lifting an old Peavy 4x10 as a teenager, man that thing was heavy.

Being somewhat minimalist, and having, not just a bass rig, but a PA, guitar stuff, drums etc to shift, we make up 'dolly plates' from ply and a set of heavy-duty castors...

QV7ejJy.jpg

Optionally, cut a hand-grip into one end, to ease carrying it empty, and/or hole for a knotted rope for hauling it along. Cheap, cheerful, pretty well unbreakable and polyvalent. Not so good when stairs are involved, I'll grant, but handles Leslie cabs or pianos, too. B| 

44 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Being somewhat minimalist, and having, not just a bass rig, but a PA, guitar stuff, drums etc to shift, we make up 'dolly plates' from ply and a set of heavy-duty castors...

I've got one of those. Put that together in the 80's when my 34kg Dynacord combo became too much. They are good but not so good when you've stacked several thing and the wheel jams on something. You get the situation where the bottom stops and the top keeps going!! A trolley is a much better solution for multiple boxes.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

Trolleys are great but what I found works pretty well is telling a couple of friends who are coming to the same festival "hey, I'll give you a lift if you like". Before they know it, they're your roadies for the weekend ;)

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1