Why become a member? ×

Gear Trolley - what you using ?

dmccombe7

6 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I seem to remember reading a thread about trolleys here a while back. 

Do you remember the excitment about those uber-cheap trolleys that used to be occasionally available at Lidl?

I seem to remember them being something absolutely potty, like £12, but you needed to know which branches of Lidl had them, and exactly when they'd be in stock!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Tried searching for Trolleys, sack barrows, gear transport but no luck.

I know Screwfix do one that our guitarist has and it looks pretty good but its similar to @Happy Jack one but his is about a 3rd of the price of screwfix.

Dave

https://www.screwfix.com/p/folding-sack-truck-80kg/1209p

• Thanks 1

I’ve got one like HJ’s folding trolley. Came from Maplin back in the day. Takes up very little room in the motor and, with a bungee, can work as a double bass trolley.

’Course, the best solution is to have lightweight gear.

• Thanks 1

I have a much older version of something like this: https://www.racking2go.co.uk/trucks-trolleys/sack-trucks/folding-adjustable-sack-trucks/60kg-telescopic-folding-sack-truck-12252.html (the handle folds on mine instead of telescoping).

I used to use it for large combos back in the day (I had a Peavey Combo 300 for many years). These days I could get my 2x10 cab and equipment bag inc. compact class-D amp on it and then my bass in a gig bag on my back for a single load get-in.

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Do you remember the excitment about those uber-cheap trolleys that used to be occasionally available at Lidl?

I seem to remember them being something absolutely potty, like £12, but you needed to know which branches of Lidl had them, and exactly when they'd be in stock!

I think i remember the Lidl one being mentioned on BC somewhere.

Dave

32 minutes ago, bassace said:

I’ve got one like HJ’s folding trolley. Came from Maplin back in the day. Takes up very little room in the motor and, with a bungee, can work as a double bass trolley.

’Course, the best solution is to have lightweight gear.

It is lightweight gear at 19Kg each cab but 20" cubed makes them bulky so a trolley would mean i can do it all in one trip.

Dave

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

That's the trolley I have.

It was about £40 when I bought it, about 8 years ago. It's very well designed and solidly made. There's a bar that slots between the wheels so they cant point in different directions.

I'd buy another, but I don't expect to have to.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Ha! Mention the movie biz and immediately you can up your profit margin by 500%.

My 'main' trolley is https://www.thomann.de/gb/rocknroller_r8_mid.htm which is complete overkill for most situations. @Silvia Bluejay and I have this because our studio is down a short, steep slope from street level, and we bring the complete PA for all gigs by all bands I play with. Having this trolley means that a couple of up-hill journeys is enough for the load-out before setting off to a gig, while a single down-hill journey is usually enough for the load-in at 2am.

The Thomann trolley folds rather more effectively than the Filmtools version shown above, and I imagine that it's probably lighter too, but you wouldn't want to take one of these in the vehicle with you unless you have a van or (as in my case) a large MPV.

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Yes, I think that was the trolley I remember being spoken about. Not sure if Lidl are still selling them though.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I have one that doubles as a trolley and sack barrow - wouldn't have been too expensive.

I'll dig it out and get details.

This

I've got one of those in garage but it doesn't fold down very well and would take up too much space in car.

I really like the screwfix type.

Dave

8 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I was interested in this but was going to wait until the restrictions ease and we can gig more

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/ADJ-ACA-Case-Cart-Equipment-Trolley/1LSA

*no experience though

Wheels are a bit small. I just had a look at mine and it has 18cm diam wheels - that means you can manage it over kerbs and low steps when fully loaded. The smaller the wheels the flatter the surfaces need to be to roll properly.

• Like 2

I've got this one - Luggage trolley ALU 125 (ravendo.com).

Definitely a cut or two above the usual folding trolleys, with a decent sized platform. Folds completely flat. I got it from Parrs (see Workplace Equipment | Workplace Products | PARRS). From memory, it was £100ish, but it's solid and taller than many folders, which I like as I'm reasonably tall and don't have to stoop whilst using it.

Edited by Dan Dare

On 07/04/2021 at 09:35, dmccombe7 said:

Had a search but cant find anything.

Does anyone use a portable trolley to move their gear and what are you using.

Was thinking something sturdy, lightweight and easy to store in car.

Dave

I use a foldable one by Wolfcraft. This one in particular, although it cost me nearly £100 3-4 years ago, cheaper now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-5501000-Folding-Trolley-Capacity/dp/B00GN6EYVG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=24DAHXZGADRMY&dchild=1&keywords=wolfcraft+folding+trolley&qid=1617885557&sprefix=wolfcraft+fol%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3

71tH4iyRfBL._SY445_.jpg

I don't use the bungee cords included, I have a couple of ratchet straps that do a better job. I carry a couple of 210 cabs with it plus pedalboard. It folds flat so it takes little space in the boot of the car. I had another of a similar design but was not sturdy at all. It said ok up to 70Kg but even with 30 it was dodgy. This one is solid.

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 2