Why become a member? ×

Shuker Precision Bass Build Diary

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Anything in particular causing the delay?

I've no idea. Comms have been dreadful since we agreed the spec and the deposit was paid.

The comment I posted on Jan 14th was the reply I received after I sent an e-mail enquiring how things were going. I've had nothing since.

Quite frankly, I'm done with chasing him now.

I'm confident he will contact me when/if it ever gets finished, but the lack of updates and photos that have been promised (on more than one occasion) is inexcusable.

So much time has gone by that I've actually considered buying both a JJ Carbonlite and a JJ Signature that have come up for sale in the mean time. I managed to resist.

I've decided to leave things until 6/4/22 which will be the one year anniversary of paying the deposit. If I've heard nothing by then, I will attempt contact again.

I would appreciate anyone that knows him not to mention the build on my behalf. If I get an e-mail today, that would be a little more than a co-incidence 😎.

• Like 1

That's odd; I emailed Jon on Monday about my JJB build, and got an email back the same evening...having checked back through the trail, I got a reply to all the emails I've sent... 😕

Fingers crossed...

5 minutes ago, Muzz said:

That's odd; I emailed Jon on Monday about my JJB build, and got an email back the same evening...having checked back through the trail, I got a reply to all the emails I've sent... 😕

Fingers crossed...

I do get a response when I send an email, but I don’t get any follow up i.e. progress photos promised. I haven’t had any images of the body, yet apparently the bass was near completion in January 🤷‍♂️.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Quatschmacher said:

Great news! When will it be in your hands?

Well, I was having a chat with Jon about this and he mentioned that he had just sent JJ his latest version which has the new in-house Shuker P pick-up set in it. Apparently they get two very big thumbs up from both JJ and his sound engineer. Jon has offered to swap out the ones in mine for the new Shuker set, which I think I’m going to do, so that might delay things a little. All being well, I think I should have it by next Friday. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, I was having a chat with Jon about this and he mentioned that he had just sent JJ his latest version which has the new in-house Shuker P pick-up set in it. Apparently they get two very big thumbs up from both JJ and his sound engineer. Jon has offered to swap out the ones in mine for the new Shuker set, which I think I’m going to do, so that might delay things a little. All being well, I think I should have it by next Friday. 

Yay!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Shuker JJ Burnel Signature 'The Raven' Precision arrived on Thursday. It has now been gigged twice (Friday and Saturday) and I can report that it was definitely worth the wait.

It's just an incredible piece of work. It is exactly as promised, nice and light at 8.24lbs and the neck is probably one of the nicest I've had in my hands.

It has a lovely satin finish with a nice low action and the whole bass balances superbly.

There was a slight change in the spec in that I was going to have Armstrong pick-up's fitted. In fact, John did fit them and then gave me the option of the new in-house pick-up's hand wound by Oz. These are the pick-up's that are in JJ's newest 'The Zenith' signature bass which he took delivery of recently. Those of you that have seen The Stranglers recently will have heard that bass. I opted for the Oz pick-up's and they're great.

I still can make up my mind about the screws, knobs and plate screws. Jon supplied a full set of black and chrome so I can make my mind up at leisure. They may change, they may not 🤷‍♂️.

Here are some photo's.

IMG_1672.png.4f8265cb24d64f9a63251e68acc3f948.png

IMG_1674.png.a3938215485cfa3f4c06109ff4d27b69.png

IMG_1675.png.6b3450284dd804c62a00c5272858596b.png

IMG_1676.png.53ec357a5fd0d8dfd115e5da3753dae9.png

IMG_1679.png.1956d486704567f47c241a8df6359815.png

IMG_1680.png.b76668de6a73e7b74e13468f46f67033.png

IMG_1682.png.7b3da36aa0a81f5cd8ff9fad57b201f0.png

IMG_1683.png.47810742d89217ef3690a5caad23d5f5.png

IMG_1684.png.ca85ad81f2c7cea1812eee57e7cb9ad0.png

IMG_1686.png.4684c8411331eb4161cbf97ea3f00510.png

IMG_1687.png.91b255419d879abb8abaa3d58efa0ad7.png