Why become a member? ×

EHX synth9

bassfan

We have an up and coming wedding season (fingers crossed) and I feel the need to add a touch of synthy goodness to a couple of songs. 

The EHX synth9 looks quite tidy. I’m a plug and play man, as most of you know, I don’t really have the time or inclination for making sounds on software for hours.  

So my questions for the BC synth effect collective, as I can’t find much info on here:  

Have you used one live? Does it sound any good in the mix? Is the mini moog setting a good representation in your opinions....  for context I’m looking to use it on Micheal Jackson’s  PYT. 

Lastly...anyone got one they are considering parting with? 

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

You have a couple of synth9s?

I have considered the sy1 but i haven’t seen a quick moog setting on it, yet. I’m not adverse to the idea! You use the sy1 for your 80s band? 

Edited by bassfan

9 minutes ago, bassfan said:

You have a couple of synth9s?

I have considered the sy1 but i haven’t seen a quick moog setting on it, yet. I’m not adverse to the idea! You use the sy1 for your 80s band? 

Sorry, I edited my post and left it making no sense whatsoever 😂.

I meant to say I have a couple of synth pedals and bizarrely, they are both on my board at the moment. I have the SY-1 and the Future Impact. If you don’t like messing about with patches, the FI probably isn’t for you, but I’m sure you could get something usable out of the SY-1. Not much difference in price though, so you’d probably want to A/B them.

Well, it has 121 modes, so I reckon you could get close.

This is lifted from a review page....

'Every sort of synth sound you can imagine is packaged in the classic Boss enclosure. Moog leads, Chicago House pads, Dubstep bass drops, String/Organ/Bell tones, sound effects and even a drum machine, it’s all there in Boss SY-1.'

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, owen said:

I have a FI. I HATE messing with software and all that malarky. But that is OK cos there are people who do love that stuff and they put the presets up for easy download. Happy days.

I’m with you there. That’s why I sold mine. 😂

6 minutes ago, owen said:

But the downloads are easy. Even I can manage those. I bought and sold a Helix FX cos I took one look at the editor and felt sad. 

Weirdly I don’t mind the helix but then I’m not doing anything complicated. Depends on what bass I take out as to what I’m using .... anyway we digress ... 

I haven't used the synth9 but if you're after that Moog-ish, analogue synth kind of sound, I really like the EHX Bass Microsynth.  No presets, no programming, just move the sliders. It's easy, and it sounds good.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I haven't used the synth9 but if you're after that Moog-ish, analogue synth kind of sound, I really like the EHX Bass Microsynth.  No presets, no programming, just move the sliders. It's easy, and it sounds good.

I have looked at those... they are quite big though and I don’t have much room left. Good shout though, thanks. 

21 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I have looked at those... they are quite big though and I don’t have much room left. Good shout though, thanks. 

Source Audio C4 synth is the one then - small footprint, easy user interface and LOADS of presents available online. EHXsynth9 is a bit of a waste of time compared to what else is available these days IMHO. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dodge_bass said:

Source Audio C4 synth is the one then - small footprint, easy user interface and LOADS of presents available online. EHXsynth9 is a bit of a waste of time compared to what else is available these days IMHO. 

Yeah... I was toying with the idea of the sy1 or the c4... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

Honestly C4 is light years ahead - tape vs CD kinda vibe I'd say...

You use one live? I know there’s a thread on here about them somewhere... really only want to dial in a moog ish sound

• Like 1

Just now, bassfan said:

You use one live? I know there’s a thread on here about them somewhere... really only want to dial in a moog ish sound

Yup. It's deeply versatile. Might be overkill for just one sound. Would an octave pedal work? Post a link to the kind of thing you're aiming for? 

Just now, dodge_bass said:

Yup. It's deeply versatile. Might be overkill for just one sound. Would an octave pedal work? Post a link to the kind of thing you're aiming for? 

Aiming for the moog sound on PYT... i can’t get anywhere near it with the octaves on the helix, hence wanting a plug and play solution. I think it might be overkill , nice to have though! 😃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

Aiming for the moog sound on PYT... i can’t get anywhere near it with the octaves on the helix, hence wanting a plug and play solution. I think it might be overkill , nice to have though! 😃

Yeah it would definitely do that for sure but maybe overkill :(

• Sad 1

Having watched quite a few videos over the past hour, I would be very surprised if the SA C-4 couldn't do what you want it to do, but, it has a fairly hefty price tag from new.

To get the best out of it, you would probably have to use the interface. If you could get your head around that, I'm sure it would nail the P.Y.T. sound.

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Having watched quite a few videos over the past hour, I would be very surprised if the SA C-4 couldn't do what you want it to do, but, it has a fairly hefty price tag from new.

To get the best out of it, you would probably have to use the interface. If you could get your head around that, I'm sure it would nail the P.Y.T. sound.

Yeah ... I completely agree it would mail the sound but at a hefty cost. 

I haven't tried the synth9 but the C4 always gets recommended.

I had a C4 for a while and it covers synth sounds really well with great tracking but I wasn't keen on the hardware controls, feels like they squeezed excellent software into the standard source audio one series box - which works fine for things like their chorus/phaser/flanger/distortion pedals but synth needs more hardware control. People often get additional controllers to solve some of that, but it puts the total price above £350.

Not that I have any better suggestions though, I didn't like the tracking or most sounds of the SYB 5, and I wasn't keen on the synth sounds on the Helix so I've concluded I'll leave the synth stuff to keyboard synthesizers for the time being, or get as close as I can with octave/eq/filter/distortion. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

I've tried the cheap route to synth sounds... Boss SYB something. Awful. No use-able sounds, bad tracking, sold it pdq. Digitech Autosynthwah thing, similar experience to the boss. EHX Bass Mono Synth, had some good sounds but tracking was way off, you needed the cleanest string pluck and to let each note ring, if you needed to play any kind of fast passage you were doomed, missing some of your notes or tracking way behind. 

The best synth like sounds I have had I made myself on a Boss GT10B by combining fuzz, octave, chorus. 

I've now got a Helix Stomp and at some point will need to try to create my own synth patches, or hope that someone has posted good use able ones out there for free. 

In short, the cheap options aren't worth it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

I've tried the cheap route to synth sounds... Boss SYB something. Awful. No use-able sounds, bad tracking, sold it pdq. Digitech Autosynthwah thing, similar experience to the boss. EHX Bass Mono Synth, had some good sounds but tracking was way off, you needed the cleanest string pluck and to let each note ring, if you needed to play any kind of fast passage you were doomed, missing some of your notes or tracking way behind. 

The best synth like sounds I have had I made myself on a Boss GT10B by combining fuzz, octave, chorus. 

I've now got a Helix Stomp and at some point will need to try to create my own synth patches, or hope that someone has posted good use able ones out there for free. 

In short, the cheap options aren't worth it. 

I’ve got an HXFX. If you find a useable patch let me know.