Why become a member? ×

Stellartone 'TONESTYLER' Triple 6... Sound clips

mybass

The Stellartone Triple Six Tone pot was purchased from Bass Direct.

As 'ToneStyler' state on the instruction sheet..." Drop in replacement for your muddy, unused tone control......Selectively cuts treble while retaining vital mid-range and rich harmonics....Choose classic & modern tones, plus your bass or guitars original tone......100% passive analogue circuitry increases output and clarity, no batteries-zero noise!"

I had often wondered what the 'Stellartone' single potentiometer sounded like so I've loaded one into a new bass build with a single 'P' pickup but 'reversed. The pot is simple to wire into any existing control cavity but is deeper than a normal single tone pot. As it happened I had an old piece of swamp ash in store, (a bit of a throw away piece in the old days because it has a couple of open knots in it, nowadays much sort after ?(😅). I decided to try a 33" scale fretted build with a single pup and three piece maple neck and maccassar ebony fingerboard....D'Addario  nickel bass strings 100-45s.

I've added two mP3s...one with a Bartolini 'P' pup and one with a Nordstrand Big Blade 'P' pup. I prefered the Bartolini, it seems to be a bit 'clearer' when the Stellartone is turned through its 6 positions. Maybe speakers or headphones will help as I turn the control from the first posiion through to the 6th position and then quickly back....you may hear the 'clicks' as I turn the pot to each position. These were recorded through a MXR bass preamp into Logic pro X.

Lastly...I'm just hoping these download okay!!

1384715274_Pbassbuild3322scale.thumb.jpeg.51299e012d0b12135713bfd1c55e18e2.jpeg

Bass Stellartone Triple 6 Bartolini.mp3 Bass Stellartone Triple 6 NORDSTRAND .mp3

Edited by mybass
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

When we're out of lockdown I'd like to hear this in the flesh (I'm in Alton), as I'm considering one for my passive fretless.

Yep, I’ve bought from you a few years ago .

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 17:00, bloke_zero said:

Great sounding bass - really liking the reverse P sound. I think I liked the Barts - the Nordstrand was good and crisp but the barts seemed to growl more.

Yes...thanks .....For some reason the Barts were giving a slightly better sound to my ears. I had to do this comparison test for myself to distinguish the sounds off each pup and as the Stella was in situ it was the right time to do it.

47 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Great thing to do and share - there are a million threads where we're asked to judge a bass by looks (and this one does look great!) but hardly any where there are sound clips.

Thanks for the positive comments bloke-zero.....

Edited by mybass