Why become a member? ×

Low Battery light?

Jerry C

18 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

the 'oh well'.. 'people can't be bothered'.. 'i'm a unique snowflake'.. passive aggression thing gives that impression :D

I did consider putting on in my 5005, partly because it doesn't have a battery compartment, and partly because there was a hole where a switch used to be!

Yes, it's definitely a good way to fill an extra hole. Might need a little grommet or something, as the LED is only 3mm diameter.

5 hours ago, Fishman said:

John East does one, although it doesn't seem to be on his new website – I got a couple from him last year so might be worth an email

https://reverb.com/au/item/14879048-john-east-bli-01-low-battery-indicator-black

Yep, this one is legit. I used to build a very similar one. The one I build now also flashes green on a good battery, to confirm that the bass is powered. Still negligible power consumption. 

Edited by Jerry C
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I find it simpler to stick with passive basses. Unless you have something like a Wal or ACG filter pre-amp they don't add anything that you should be able to do already elsewhere in your signal chain.

Mine are all active - I don't even want the bass / treble, I just want the buffer.

31 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I find it simpler to stick with passive basses. Unless you have something like a Wal or ACG filter pre-amp they don't add anything that you should be able to do already elsewhere in your signal chain.

Yes, they do. They buffer the pickups so they're not affected by the cable capacitance (the longer the cable, the more loss of highs). Also, they can use a low value volume pot (such as 10k or 25k), which again prevents loss of highs when you roll off the volume, in addition to lowering noise. And I agree that filter preamps are particularly useful. They're a great improvement over a passive tone pot, while having the same immediacy. I owned a couple of Alembic basses over time and thought that it was the filter that made them sound great (I don't mean to put down the stellar build quality and great looks). 

Edited by Jerry C

On 11/04/2021 at 16:20, BigRedX said:

I've never heard any advantage to the buffer. If I really needed it I'd use the wireless system all the time.

If your bass has two hi-Z pickups and any kinds of pots to use the pickups together (vol - vol, or blend - vol), there is no buffer and while using pots, you are affecting the response. Put a Noll Mixpot under the hood, and you have a buffered mixing.