Why become a member? ×

uncoloured 10" speaker 200/300w

Jay Carter Music

An uncolored speaker, could you please tell us, what is the amp you are using? Most of the amps are everything but uncolored, and at least their eqs are not flat set @ 12 o'clock.

AER is quite popular among double bassists.

Just now, itu said:

An uncolored speaker, could you please tell us, what is the amp you are using? Most of the amps are everything but uncolored, and at least their eqs are not flat set @ 12 o'clock.

Thanks Itu, I have tried the cab with a few amps some of which have an EQ bypass mode and FX send and return and I'd say the cab is in this case the thing that is obviously coloured. (That was the aim of the designers of this cab to sound retro and warm) It does sound great for electric bass but not great for pitching with my upright. I have personally found the cabs I've tried a much much bigger component to colour than the class D heads I've tried. I thought that was due to speaker driver choice mostly but I'm getting the feeling from this post its a lot to do with the design of the cabinet.

11 minutes ago, itu said:

The AER stuff is actually pretty heavy! I already have incredible sound with a super midget for gigs where I can drive to them. The trick for me is finding something easy to pitch with just about giggable that weighs in at 7kg or under. (It's not easy going through rush hour tube stations with a double bass and an amp.) I think the GR bass AT 110 might deliver pretty well on these parameters!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jay Carter Music said:

(It's not easy going through rush hour tube stations with a double bass and an amp.)

I know, my choice was the old GK 200MB. I think it was only 12 kg - and heaven sent! Worked very well with my Clevinger.

Yes, my friend has an AER and it weighs quite a lot. But he uses a car.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jay Carter Music said:

The AER stuff is actually pretty heavy! I already have incredible sound with a super midget for gigs where I can drive to them. The trick for me is finding something easy to pitch with just about giggable that weighs in at 7kg or under. (It's not easy going through rush hour tube stations with a double bass and an amp.) I think the GR bass AT 110 might deliver pretty well on these parameters!

Agreed. Although superb the AER gear is (for its size) very heavy.

• Like 1

Just now, leftybassman392 said:

Is it too late too mention PJB?

o.O

I tried the bass cub I swapped it for a micromark 8" as I  felt the markbass although fairly coloured was more audible and the  PJB was unusably quiet. Would like to try some other stuff by them  at some point though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay Carter Music said:

Thanks Itu, I have tried the cab with a few amps some of which have an EQ bypass mode and FX send and return and I'd say the cab is in this case the thing that is obviously coloured. (That was the aim of the designers of this cab to sound retro and warm) It does sound great for electric bass but not great for pitching with my upright. I have personally found the cabs I've tried a much much bigger component to colour than the class D heads I've tried. I thought that was due to speaker driver choice mostly but I'm getting the feeling from this post its a lot to do with the design of the cabinet.

It's both really, you start off with an idea of the frequency response and sound levels etc. as your design targets and then choose a driver which will let you design a cab to achieve the outcome you want.

Small cabs often have non-flat responses with typical drivers. Using a bigger magnet will bring the response back under control but at the expense of extra weight. In the One10 Alex's 'warm and retro' sound is achieved by putting a speaker in a tiny cab to achieve that non-flat sound. 

We recently designed the 'Lockdown' 110T Basschat project. ( @stevie did all the work) but it's a self build and too heavy for you. I've been wondering about how I'd go about designing something for this purpose which is why I'm following this thread. It's really right at the edge of what is practically possible.

• Like 1

A little puzzling that ultimate lightness is the goal. If you were looking for a less weighty alternative to an Ampeg fridge, it would be understandable, but a BF One10 (even tweetered) is already less than a one-handed carry. Your money, ofc, but that GR isn't going to be cheap.

2 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

A little puzzling that ultimate lightness is the goal. If you were looking for a less weighty alternative to an Ampeg fridge, it would be understandable, but a BF One10 (even tweetered) is already less than a one-handed carry. Your money, ofc, but that GR isn't going to be cheap.

The GR BASS  AT 110 is £50 cheaper and 3.5 kg lighter than the BF one10T. I already have a super midget which sounds incredible so I have no need for something else of that kinda weight.The BF one10 is nearly perfect and I have no problem with 7kg but its just not amazing on my double bass set up for pitching/clarity. (most double bassists say the same) The barefaced one10 T maybe the best thing out there but at £499 and 5kg and I think potentially a more transparent modern sounding 10" I think its worth a go.

Just now, stevie said:

It will certainly be easier to hear yourself with the GR than what you currently have. So you may have found your solution. It'll be interesting to hear what you think anyway.

If it works out at 5kg I will be blown away. If it was just for electric bass I wouldn't look any further than the BF one10! That logo is awesome Stevie only just clocked it!

41 minutes ago, Jay Carter Music said:

If it easier to pitch with for whatever reason I'll be happy! If it's not I will try something else. 

What's the setup for these gigs: is there PA; is your small cab just for your own monitoring, or do the other musicians/audience rely on it too?  If if it's just for you, can you use some in-ear monitoring to assist with pitching?  The time I recall having the most success with this approach was in a theatre where we actually had some really nice monitors, but for some acoustical reason I just couldn't pitch myself, and we were running out of sound check time.  I used non-isolating earphones in that instance.

1 minute ago, jrixn1 said:

What's the setup for these gigs: is there PA; is your small cab just for your own monitoring, or do the other musicians/audience rely on it too?  If if it's just for you, can you use some in-ear monitoring to assist with pitching?  The time I recall having the most success with this approach was in a theatre where we actually had some really nice monitors, but for some acoustical reason I just couldn't pitch myself, and we were running out of sound check time.  I used non-isolating earphones in that instance.

It's for a mix of little gigs all different but I got some IEM's that will be coming along for the ride when I need them for sure!

On 07/04/2021 at 19:20, stevie said:

With a 10" Jensen and a bullet tweeter in the box, it's unlikely to be uncoloured either. A little puzzling indeed.

My experience with the GR AT210 compared directly with my 2x BFone10's shows the GR to be both louder and cleaner before breakup. It will be interesting to see if putting one speaker in a box changes this. It is a small box (Gr110), but it is deeper than 210 by 10cm.

2 minutes ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

My experience with the GR AT210 compared directly with my 2x BFone10's shows the GR to be both louder and cleaner before breakup. It will be interesting to see if putting one speaker in a box changes this. It is a small box (Gr110), but it is deeper than 210 by 10cm.

I should be able to AB the BF 110 against the GR AT 110. Will let you know as soon as I get through the dreaded lead times! How long was after ordering for you? I'm 9 days in!

• Like 1