Why become a member? ×

uncoloured 10" speaker 200/300w

Jay Carter Music

Hi guys, I was hoping someone might know loads about speakers. I'm looking for the most uncoloured full range 10" 200/300w speaker that you know about. Doesn't have to be posh if it meets the criteria! I have a barefaced one10 which although is very impressive I'm tempted to change the speaker to something more transparent (for upright bass.) I'd also like to end up without the cab getting heavier if thats possible!

Edited by Jay Carter Music
correction

I wouldn't bother replacing the driver in the One10, it's designed for that box and other drivers may not work so well. If you want a more "FRFR" type cab you'll be wiser to sell that and buy something else. Note also the One10 is designed specifically to be a more coloured tone vs the 12" Barefaced cabs. I'd look out for a Super Midget or Big Baby II, or similar sorts of cabs from other manufacturers :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Merton said:

I wouldn't bother replacing the driver in the One10, it's designed for that box and other drivers may not work so well. If you want a more "FRFR" type cab you'll be wiser to sell that and buy something else. Note also the One10 is designed specifically to be a more coloured tone vs the 12" Barefaced cabs. I'd look out for a Super Midget or Big Baby II, or similar sorts of cabs from other manufacturers :)

Thanks for the advice, Thats heavier than what Im looking for though for this purpose. (I have a super midget already but I need a lighter rig for some jobs)

IME, most 300 watt RMS speaker that will handle this kind of power may be quite colored due to the heavier suspension and long wound voice coil (compared with gap depth) required for mechanical robustness. This results in significant high frequency rolloff compared with a full range or extended range design.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jay Carter Music said:

Thanks for the advice, Thats heavier than what Im looking for though for this purpose. (I have a super midget already but I need a lighter rig for some jobs)

Another idea is perhaps the new One10T to get a bit more highs?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jay Carter Music said:

This I found yesterday. I think its 699 euros if you are in europe. This would be perfect. I might have the money for this in future. If I could get hold of the 10" speaker from this I'm sure it would be less coloured than the BF.

Thanks will ping Bass direct a message for a price to see what these cabs work out at in the UK.

Honestly you have come to the limits of what is possible as far as weight is concerned. The Barefaced is about as light as it gets with a wooden cabinet. that is their USP. There is no way that swapping the speaker for the one from the GR will give you a less coloured sound. The cab isn't designed for that speaker and in any case has been designed to shape the bass to what you are hearing. If you want a less coloured sound then you will need to consider a tweetered cab. The One10T maybe? that will add a couple of kg's though, the weight of the driver, horn and crossover. 

Ultimately a bass driver can't be built at much under 3kg without introducing colouration, no single driver is going to be able to do uncoloured mids and treble and the horn etc adds 1.5-2kg and if you want flat bass you need a bigger cab than the One10 which is going to weigh more. It's possible that other manufacturers make cabs a similar weight to the Barefaced as they are all pushing weights downwards but my guess is that most will be slightly heavier or a lot heavier

PA speakers have the amp built in adding a couple of kgs at least. Maybe you should be comparing the weight of the PA speakers with amp and cab combined?

The only alternative is to use something other than wood, so maybe the GR is what you are looking for? I hope you find what you are looking for but give up any idea that a simple driver swap will help.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Honestly you have come to the limits of what is possible as far as weight is concerned. The Barefaced is about as light as it gets with a wooden cabinet. that is their USP. There is no way that swapping the speaker for the one from the GR will give you a less coloured sound. The cab isn't designed for that speaker and in any case has been designed to shape the bass to what you are hearing. If you want a less coloured sound then you will need to consider a tweetered cab. The One10T maybe? that will add a couple of kg's though, the weight of the driver, horn and crossover. 

Ultimately a bass driver can't be built at much under 3kg without introducing colouration, no single driver is going to be able to do uncoloured mids and treble and the horn etc adds 1.5-2kg and if you want flat bass you need a bigger cab than the One10 which is going to weigh more. It's possible that other manufacturers make cabs a similar weight to the Barefaced as they are all pushing weights downwards but my guess is that most will be slightly heavier or a lot heavier

PA speakers have the amp built in adding a couple of kgs at least. Maybe you should be comparing the weight of the PA speakers with amp and cab combined?

The only alternative is to use something other than wood, so maybe the GR is what you are looking for? I hope you find what you are looking for but give up any idea that a simple driver swap will help.

Thanks for the advice. Will see how much the GR AT 110 retails at (which is no bigger and 2kg lighter with the tweeter) and maybe sell the BF one10. A speaker swap as you say may be a bad idea. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jus Lukin said:

I'm not going on a Google hunt on your behalf, especially for what is, you must already realise, a very tall order indeed. Barefaced are some of the smallest and lightest gig-worthy cabs out there. If you want to downsize even more than you have, your best bet is to use the PA, if there is one, to fill the room and use a small personal monitor to push the highs and mids back at you.

There may be a product hiding out there which can achieve what you want, but there is a degree of attempting to better the best in this.

I hope you find something which works out, but I find to hard to imagine  a situation without some compromise on power, weight, size, or response.

The GR BASS AT 110 is 5kg 42 to 18khz with a tweeter and 10" and from what i understand a more transparent sound. (Was curious if a speaker swap might be a cheap alternative but looks like it's a no go.)  Please help yourself to this link :)  https://www.grbass.com/cabinet-carbon-fiber/at-110/

1 minute ago, Merton said:

Not sure where you’re based but there’s this in the classifieds here which could be a nice cost effective solution :

Thanks I'm actually going back and forth with this guy right now! I'm west Sussex for my sins!

Edited by Jay Carter Music
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

That's two weirdly passive-aggressive replies now on what has otherwise been a perfectly fine thread. Maybe I'm misreading something- I hope so. Let us know if you go for the GR Bass cab and how you get on with it. Plenty of us will be keen to hear the details, myself included.

I think I maybe suffering from a cocktail of too much internet and being not as funny as I think I am so apologies for that :) I will keep you posted on my featherweight quest anyways. I've emailed bass direct and they are getting on a price now!