Why become a member? ×

Jazz stack pot mod?

2020Jazz

• 3 weeks later...

hi jazz , it wont sound any different, its purely looks, unless you change the tone cap value, otherwise  its still the same pickups going through a carbon track pot, show me the back side of it and i will send you a mod for it while you are putting it in, wont make it sound better but will be much more reliable 🙂

• Thanks 1

if you fit different value caps it does sound subtly different to VVT, if you wire it the modern way without the resistors the two tone circuits interact even with the volume completely off on one pickup so you have more variable tone controls, however finding the tone you like can be harder and remembering what you have as the mix of settings for the tone or tones you like can be a pain, I ended up putting a dot of white on the knobs for my favourite sound so I could easily dial that in. It's something like 95% neck with 20% tone mixed with 70% bridge with 50% tone, which is pretty similar to 100% neck and 40% bridge with 30% tone on VVT but a smidge fuller on the higher strings

Look at the wiring diagram for the pink MIM Flea Jazz, iirc I put a '47' on the neck and a '33' cap on the bridge on mine

Edited by Aidan63
figure wrong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got 2 stack knob jazzes and I love em, not only do they look cool,  but controlling each pickup and tone  individually is great , I will agree that it does take a while and a bit of playing around to get used to the settings 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got 2 stack knob jazzes and I love em, not only do they look cool,  but controlling each pickup and tone  individually is great , I will agree that it does take a while and a bit of playing around to get used to the settings 

Pics?

They're not really independent, the Capacitance of both caps is summed, unless you wire it like a Gibson.

The drawback to a Gibson's wiring is that either volume can completely silence the instrument, so your treble-cut controls are more independent, BUT your volume controls are not.

Always a compromise, somehow!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2020Jazz said:

Based on what? PM @KiOgon and I’m fairly sure he’ll quote you far less for what you’re after.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

depends where you are in the world, finding the control plate in the UK can be difficult but I'm sure @KiOgon has his sources

You're dead right, all these parts are becoming harder to find here and yes, I have everything in stock 😊

• Like 2

Talking about stack knob set ups, I like this one because I like switches 😁, I’ve got a flea bass loom with no plate yet, I’m guessing you have to drill the hole for the switch, also would the switch be able to give me separate use of the pickups or would it be series/parallel 

71C144D1-95E2-4BF7-B89A-0608C9ED3BFF.png

8 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

@2020Jazz how are you getting on with your swap 

Oh boy, you had to ask! :D  Ok. I found a guy, pickguardian.com, who is going to make me a one piece gloss black scratchguard 3 hole stack knob control plate. What ya think of that?

Edited by 2020Jazz
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, 2020Jazz said:

Oh boy, you had to ask! :D  Ok. I found a guy, pickguardian.com, who is going to make me a one piece gloss black scratchguard 3 hole stack knob control plate. What ya think of that?

That sounds cool, I’ll look forward to seeing it 👍

• Like 1

On 29/04/2021 at 05:37, Reggaebass said:

would the switch be able to give me separate use of the pickups or would it be series/parallel 

The answer is yes, because it can do either of those, but keep in mind a few things:

if you make it series/parallel, when in series there will only be one functioning volume, you cannot blend

those mini-toggles aren't as robust as the large ones designed for the purpose & are throw-away items when they fail, a proper toggle can be cleaned & maintained & last longer:

71AdocKcNHL._AC_SX425_.jpg

one more thing,

the toggle in the photo is only for 3-way pickup selection

Edited by Killed_by_Death
spelling, Again!
  • Like 2

On 03/05/2021 at 20:06, Killed_by_Death said:

The answer is yes, because it can do either of those, but keep in mind a few things:

if you make it series/parallel, when in series there will only be one functioning volume, you cannot blend

those mini-toggles aren't as robust as the large ones designed for the purpose & are throw-away items when they fail, a proper toggle can be cleaned & maintained & last longer:

Thanks for that info KbD 👍

• Like 1

Having the 3-way switch actually does introduce real independence for the separate treble-cut controls, since you can dial in a sound on each pickup isolated from the other, but when the switch is in the center position my comments in this thread from April 28th still apply.

• Like 2