Why become a member? ×

"Sadowsky" Metro Express Basses

Crawford13

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Well I've got to say, mine arrived today (used eBay purchase) and I couldn't be happier. It's stunning, plays well, sounds great, and no apparent QC issues or unwanted noise from the electrics. Time will tell whether or not I decide to fit the VTC, but very glad I took a chance and bought it.

Well, I for one am glad to hear a positive review at last. Perhaps it will come good but it would have better to have it all tickity boo from the get go. Photos please.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/04/2021 at 17:52, Al Krow said:

I'll happily pit my £500 Chinese made Yamaha BB against your German (or USA) made Sadowsky P and assure you that no pub audience will notice the difference 😁

But put the exact same basses in the hands of Kinga Glyk and I suspect no stadium audience would notice the difference either.

I don't buy the concept of a "world class bass", but there are clearly world class bass players! I think you'll find that basses end up sounding pretty much like the men and women who play them. Obviously we all have more or less money to spend on our gear and can get our basses accordingly.

Oh and the Chinese make some fantastic high-end gear - ever heard of an iPhone?

On 07/04/2021 at 19:44, Crawford13 said:

This is a very good set of points. I pretty much agree with all of them. 

When I buy expensive instruments it's due to them being handmade by individuals that I have massive respect for. When it comes to factory instruments that are CNC made its really all about quality control afterwards, hence this thread. 

However...

On 07/04/2021 at 20:57, DiMarco said:

I agree with none of those points but hey. to each his own. If you don't notice the difference, for you there is no difference.

Fair enough and each to their own. But pleased to read just a few weeks later...

On 13/05/2021 at 20:34, DiMarco said:

...Got mine some weeks ago. Yamaha sure know how to build worldclass instruments.

So, looks like we all now kinda agree? Enjoy your Yamaha, they can and do make a mighty fine bass! 😊

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

Check the comments. Thoughts still seem to widely vary...
The bass reviewed sounds really good though.

Well one guy REALLY doesn't like Roger or his work :)

Really hard to decide with such a wide range of opinions on this RSD ME series... had a sniff at Basstalk thread where Mr.S shares his thoughts and gives a bit of feedback as well. But can't really risk getting one online as there's no guarantee it'll be one of the latest ones that are supposed to be better and have better QC?

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 12.04.26.png

24 minutes ago, triplebass said:

But can't really risk getting one online as there's no guarantee it'll be one of the latest ones that are supposed to be better and have better QC?

There's a 60 day money back guarantee @ Thomann - no questions asked.
I think that allows you to take the plunge more easily. If you send it back, they will mail you a UPS packing slip.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm getting one in tomorrow to review for De Bassist (Dutch bass magazine); a fiver with maple fretboard. I've read up a little about the MetroExpress series and am now extra curious about this one. I was actually considering buying a four string as a backup for my vintage Fender.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

I'm getting one in tomorrow to review for De Bassist (Dutch bass magazine); a fiver with maple fretboard. I've read up a little about the MetroExpress series and am now extra curious about this one. I was actually considering buying a four string as a backup for my vintage Fender.

Ooh, exciting. We obviously expect a full report without us having to actually buy the magazine 😉.

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ooh, exciting. We obviously expect a full report without us having to actually buy the magazine 😉.

What with it being in Dutch and all ….I speak several language but Dutch has always eluded me 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

I wrote a review (mesa prodigy) and in memoriam about chris squire for that mag. Was promised a free sub as I didn't need or want payment. I never received the sub or a single copy of the mag and had to buy copies with my own articles in order to see them. Am still whizzed off about that. Worst magazine on the planet run by a totally incompetent publishing company.

But interested in your findings about the chinese Sadowsky nonetheless.

• Sad 1

Well, I've been working for De Bassist for quite a few years now and I recognize absolutely nothing of what you say. I know the chief editor quite well and I can't imagine he did this on purpose. I am 100% sure that if you'd e-mail him now you'd get a free sub anyway. Claiming it's "the worst magazine on the planet run by a totally incompetent publishing company" by one experience is IMO waaaaay to harsh and completely unnecessary.

Anyway, the Sadowsky is in and I am quite impressed. Sounds great, feels awesome, is super light and has one maaaaaaaaajor flaw: the pickup balance knob is reversed. Turning it counterclockwise gives me the neck pickup. WRONG. But still: great bass. I might buy one. The review will be in Dutch of course but if you guys ask reeeeally nicely, I might translate it ;)

IMG_5355.JPG

Edited by BassAgent

7 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

Well, I've been working for De Bassist for quite a few years now and I recognize absolutely nothing of what you say. I know the chief editor quite well and I can't imagine he did this on purpose. I am 100% sure that if you'd e-mail him now you'd get a free sub anyway. Claiming it's "the worst magazine on the planet run by a totally incompetent publishing company" by one experience is IMO waaaaay to harsh and completely unnecessary.

Anyway, the Sadowsky is in and I am quite impressed. Sounds great, feels awesome, is super light and has one maaaaaaaaajor flaw: the pickup balance knob is reversed. Turning it counterclockwise gives me the neck pickup. WRONG. But still: great bass. I might buy one. The review will be in Dutch of course but if you guys ask reeeeally nicely, I might translate it ;)

IMG_5355.JPG

Pretty please 🙏 🙏🙏

17 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

IMG_5355.JPG

I can probably make sense of it … I mean it’s just like English but with added letter J In every word 

😛

jokjng of course - nice colour on that metro 

Edited by Geek99

26 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

Believe it or not but it's not a flaw! Roger's pre-amps are set up as standard for the balance to be neck = anti-clockwise and bridge = clockwise. On the older Sadowsky pre's that I have had you can easily re-wire to the conventional mode at the terminal blocks. Alternatively whip out the old soldering iron and flip the wires on the balance pot. Here's a link to "That Other site :-) " 😁

Edited by Acebassmusic