Why become a member? ×

Pairing Ampeg PF and SVT cabs

FinBass

I have a question.

I am running a PF800 amp with a PF410 cab.

amp is rated 800w@4ohm and 400w@8ohm.

the PF410 is 800w@8ohm.

I have my eye on a SVT410HE cab - this is 500w@8ohm

my question - what will happen if I run these together? I presume I will have 800w at 4 ohms out of the amp - but will this put excessive load on the SVT410HE.. 

Essentially 400 watts into each cab, and as each cab is a 410 100 watts to each speaker. But even if there were a danger of blowing a cab you’d you’ll blow your eardrums before that with the power available.

Only real thing to be wary of is matching different cabs, doesn’t always work from what I’ve read, tho from experience I’ve never encountered any of the problems mentioned. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FinBass said:

So should be fine??

Should be fine - as others have said your current 8 ohm 500w cab will only be getting 400 of the PF800's 800w. The PF amps sound SOOO much nicer through a "propper" Ampeg cab than the flip top ones that match them IMHO - my studio owning friend had a SVT3 Pro with a matching Pro seriesAmpeg 4x10, and when rehearsing there he used to let me use that cab with my PF500 when I had it (I believe it was a 4 ohm cab) to save carting mine to the studio. The difference between the Portaflex cabs and a full blooded ampeg 4x10 was almost worth the backbreaking weight!

If one cab is more efficient than the other, it may sound louder. This is true even if the speakers in each cab are the same. The cabinet designs factor in to how well they play together. You'll never know till you try them together.

When using different cabs together, it never hurts to first perform a battery test on each one separately to ensure that they operate in phase with one another.

• Like 1

As others already mentioned, be sure your cabs' efficiency are very similar so you don't blow any speakers. I almost would discourage using different models. Is it possible for you to get another PF cab? That would be a good match. However, getting a second SVT cab should work fine. I'm just a bit anal about matching equipment, especially speakers.