Why become a member? ×

What would you choose? (Hartke, Markbass, Gallien Krueger)

John Wick

Hi guys,

New here on the forum! I'm just gonna bombard you all with a brain splitting dilemma I'm struggling with the last few weeks. I've been on non-active for the past 7 years, and I sold all my gear, up to the last cable, mainly due to finances being too tight. A year ago I decided I could no longer live without playing the bass, and ended up buying a 2006 Warwick Corvette $$, in perfect condition, for a mere 700€. It's one hell of a bass! 

While it was relatively easy to pick the bass I really desired, the choice of an amp isn't.....

I've filtered the rigs locally available secondhand down to 2 choices:

First is a Gallien Krueger RBX 410 with a Markbass Multi Amp S

Second is a complete Hartke rig: HA5500 with a VX410 and VX115

The GK/Markbass solution seems by far the better, with the included effects in the head, and simply the quality overall, but the price is pretty steep for my budget.

The Hartke setup is quite cheap, just 500€ for the whole rig, and it's in perfect shape.

With the endless lockdowns going on it's impractical to go and test these heads/cabs at the seller's houses, so all I've heard/read comes from internet.

Can I ask you guys for all your experience with these heads/cabs? Hoping to finally pull the trigger on either of both!

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, police squad said:

I used a Hartke HA3500 for many years, through a Hartke transporter 4x10. It was simply brilliant.

Then I went all lightweight, so sold the Hartke gear

Hey police squad, what style of music do you play?

A mate who plays in a pretty well regarded classic rock tribute band uses that exact Hartke rig, and he always sounds great.

I've had HA2000/VX410 and HA5500/ABM410t rigs in the past, playing everything from acoustic covers to death metal, and they were great all-round rigs. The only thing I can say against the Hartke HA series is the cooling fans can be a bit loud if you were planning on using the head and one of the cabs for quiet practice in the corner of the living room, but if you're going to use them to get out there and make some noise, as long as you can carry them then you'd probably be hard pressed to beat them for the money.

• Like 2

What kind of playing are you planning on doing with the rig?  If you're just playing at home, I'd suggest something like a Fender Rumble or an Ashdown Session, because the 2 rigs you mentioned are both pretty big.

If you're set on wanting one of those two rigs, I'd edge towards the Hartke, purely because I'm not crazy about Mark Bass heads, but either will be good.

25 minutes ago, Doddy said:

What kind of playing are you planning on doing with the rig?  If you're just playing at home, I'd suggest something like a Fender Rumble or an Ashdown Session, because the 2 rigs you mentioned are both pretty big.

If you're set on wanting one of those two rigs, I'd edge towards the Hartke, purely because I'm not crazy about Mark Bass heads, but either will be good.

Mostly originals. Some friends and I had a band for quite a few years until we stopped in 2014. Our songs were heavily inspired by Queens of the stone age, Tool, Pixies, and so on....so pretty hard rock, sometimes verging on metal. Thing is I'm not rich enough to buy a practice-at-home rig and a jamming/performing rig. So I need 1 solution for everything. 

Markbass hasn't impressed me so far from the limited time I've played with one, though their quality is obvious, just not my taste I guess. But the Markbass Muti Amp is quite a different beast altogether, although yet again, my actual experience with one live is non existent. 

Found this in one of the reviews online about the VX115 on Zzounds... "The problem was this piece of crap had a 15" speaker in it on printed on the magnet it clearly stated 150watt"

There are a lot of users complaining the cab can't handle what it's supposed to handle.....

Well, this isn't going to help but the Hartke amp with the GK cab please!!!

Seriously though, the Hartke amp is bulletproof - I had one and it was built to last. Sounded great too, just too big and heavy for my requirements. I've got a MarkBass and it's fine but that one being advertised is WAY too complex, unless you need something that can store loads of settings so I'd go with the rest of the people here and say get the Hartke rig. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

Well, this isn't going to help but the Hartke amp with the GK cab please!!!

Seriously though, the Hartke amp is bulletproof - I had one and it was built to last. Sounded great too, just too big and heavy for my requirements. I've got a MarkBass and it's fine but that one being advertised is WAY too complex, unless you need something that can store loads of settings so I'd go with the rest of the people here and say get the Hartke rig. 

But what about the power rating of the VX115? 

23 hours ago, John Wick said:

But what about the power rating of the VX115? 

For home use it's of absolutely no concern - you'll be too loud to get anywhere near damaging the cab.

At Gigs However, it will be entirely possible to blow the cab. I have blown several hartke 15" cabs when I was in a heavy band (two transpirter 15's and an early edition vx15) . However - these were cabs being used on their own and worked very hard.

I stuck with these cheaper hartke cabs as I loved the sound and they were light (for their day) so very easy to get to and from gigs.

I imagine you'll be very happy using just the 410. These double cab stacks are a great ego boost, but for the majority of gigs seldom necessary.

If I were you I'd buy the hartke rig, regard the 15" as effectively disposable and enjoy the 410

14 hours ago, Woodwind said:

For home use it's of absolutely no concern - you'll be too loud to get anywhere near damaging the cab.

At Gigs However, it will be entirely possible to blow the cab. I have blown several hartke 15" cabs when I was in a heavy band (two transpirter 15's and an early edition vx15) . However - these were cabs being used on their own and worked very hard.

I stuck with these cheaper hartke cabs as I loved the sound and they were light (for their day) so very easy to get to and from gigs.

I imagine you'll be very happy using just the 410. These double cab stacks are a great ego boost, but for the majority of gigs seldom necessary.

If I were you I'd buy the hartke rig, regard the 15" as effectively disposable and enjoy the 410

Well, I've read too many bad reviews on the VX115, and the false power rating, to still go after it. The HA5500 head however seems killer for the price. I may try to pry loose the head alone 

• Like 1