Why become a member? ×

Mudbucker Pickups

I'm nearing the end of building a bass with a mudbucker pickup. I've just installed and wired everything to try it out prior to finishing a few other bits and bobs.

But.....I'm not entirely convinced by the pickup at the moment. I haven't used one before so don't have anything to compare it to as a benchmark. The pickup is a Retrovibe one and the pole pieces are pretty well aligned with the strings. 

a6jpKCa.jpg

The issue is that, to my ears, the A and D strings are louder and better defined than the E and G which sound quieter and a bit fluffy by comparison. This is the same no matter which coil combination I use (series, single coil or parallel).

I have tried adjusting the pole piece screws to make them closer/further away from the strings but that seemed to make little difference.

Anyone got much experience with these types of pickups that could point me in the right direction - any guidance would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

Jez

23 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I’d wind the pup up till the weak strings are where you want then screw the other pole screws down to suit the E and G

11 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I have two Epiphones with mudbuckers- one is spot on balance-wise, but the 90's Rivoli has the same issue, although I was able to fix it with extreme pole-piece height differences. That pickup also hums like nobody's business, so I'll be looking to have it fixed up at some point.

Can't be much more help than that I'm afraid!

Cheers both. I've tried adjusting the pole piece screw but doesn't seem to have enough impact. I have the E and G screws wound out so the whole screw head is showing and the A and D wound in with the heads a mm or so below the cover and it sill isn't balanced!! 

I'll keep adjusting but I'm already looking for a replacement to this pickup only problem is that there isn't much choice of what fits into that shape hole!! Might drop Retrovibe a mail to see if this is a common issue.

1 minute ago, Jus Lukin said:

I haven't tried one, but the Dimarzio Model One seems to be the de-facto mudbucker problem solver. Shiny chrome aside, the only drawback appears to be that it sounds too good, if you're after that flubby, dusty old sound!

That's just from reading up on it and doing some online listening though- I hope to have a go on one eventually, but I'll definitely start with a repair of the current unit for my particular aims.

That's the limiting factor though isn't it - the shiny chrome bit!! That was something I was after as it suited this bass but I might have to change that. Cheers

A rewind would probably not break the bank if you are already looking at the outlay of another pickup. And you know you would not need to accommodate a different pickup.

Edited by owen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I haven't tried one, but the Dimarzio Model One seems to be the de-facto mudbucker problem solver.

Aye, the problem they are designed to solve being "mud". 😀

Lifted direct from the Model One Tech Talk.

"Warm, full tone, no mud."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I'm a bit wary of the Artecs- I've read that the magnets often aren't in the correct configuration and one needs to be flipped (actually flipped, that's not the swear filter!) to get them working correctly.

As with the Dimarzio though, that's from reading up on them, not personal experience.

Worth knowing. I fitted a pair of their P90s and was blown away by them (single coils of course). I’ve always been a DiMarzio fanboy, great products with equally great customer service.

@Jabba_the_gut

Have you tried popping the strings off and seeing they've not twisted ?

@hooky_lowdown 's advice might be the answer

I had an overly quiet A string after installing the monster split single, wound to 29.9k ohm and up there in terms of mud 👍 Advice I got include string witness points, twists etc.

@ezbass

I remember those Artec/magnet posts, thought it was a massive problem as every mention of Artec had the magnet reverse post attached.

Turned out the same 2 lads were on a global mission to warn all potential Artec buyers 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Ha, I didn't clock that! Was it Dimarzio trying to deflect sales? 😄

Nah, it was just 2 lads upset at paying £19.99 then having to spend 2 minutes turning a magnet and adding a spot of glue. 

The Artec is not competing with Dimarzio, it's a proper mudbucker. 

DiMarzio are up against  Sentell  and their "UnMudbucker" tm 😁

• Like 1

Cheers for all the comments. I've tried changing strings - made no difference, I tried changing the pole piece heights to extreme positions but made no difference.

I'll take the pickup out and have a look at the magnets to see if there is anything going on there if not then I'll replace it with something else.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Some pickups just don't sound good on some bodies, likewise with strings. So a different pickup may help.

I've had pickups which sound rubbish in the body of one bass, later put them into another body and they sounded great. No rhyme or reason, both bodies were alder, I've also had the same experience with strings.