Why become a member? ×

Markbass Nano... thoughts?

lownote

What follows is just my opinion etc.. but I think it's an excellent little amp head. I started trialling it alongside my others in early 2018 and found that I was using it pretty much exclusively by the start of 2019 and on until gigging as we knew it dried up.

+ it's light and small but doesn't feel too light or flimsy as a result
+ it appears to be well built and well cooled so hopefully reliable in that sense
+ it's plenty loud enough to play a power metal gig with decent cabs (your heft may vary, of course)
+ it's easy to get a useable sound from it which should work for a wide variety of clean styles
+ the DI sounds like an honest and decent quality representation of the output
- it might not be loud enough if your cabs are inefficient, your tone very low-end-heavy, or your venue very large and your PA very small
- it's got a reduced feature-set because of its size, so if it's missing something you need, then you're gonna need a bigger amp

I'd say there's a Markbass sound that is essentially there in every one of their amps I've owned and used. If you generally agree but don't like that sound then I don't think the nano will be the one that changes your mind. Otherwise, I'd say give it a try!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

What follows is just my opinion etc.. but I think it's an excellent little amp head. I started trialling it alongside my others in early 2018 and found that I was using it pretty much exclusively by the start of 2019 and on until gigging as we knew it dried up.

+ it's light and small but doesn't feel too light or flimsy as a result
+ it appears to be well built and well cooled so hopefully reliable in that sense
+ it's plenty loud enough to play a power metal gig with decent cabs (your heft may vary, of course)
+ it's easy to get a useable sound from it which should work for a wide variety of clean styles
+ the DI sounds like an honest and decent quality representation of the output
- it might not be loud enough if your cabs are inefficient, your tone very low-end-heavy, or your venue very large and your PA very small
- it's got a reduced feature-set because of its size, so if it's missing something you need, then you're gonna need a bigger amp

I'd say there's a Markbass sound that is essentially there in every one of their amps I've owned and used. If you generally agree but don't like that sound then I don't think the nano will be the one that changes your mind. Otherwise, I'd say give it a try!

Did you miss the filter knobs?

34 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Did you miss the filter knobs?

I personally don't miss them because I always* turn them off on the amps that have them, and feel that the basic tone** of the nano is near enough the same as that starting point with them turned off. I don't think they offer a lot you couldn't replicate reasonably well with an EQ pedal, but at the same time I could fully see how they might class as a loss too far for some who particularly likes them and finds them useful on the larger amps.

*The only MB amps I've actively used the filters on are the micro801 and mini802 because they don't have an EQ.

**I guess I should also say that the other MB heads I've owned and am basing my 'basic tone' comment on are LM2, LM3 (Combo Head 2), LM800 and F1. I can't comment on the various tube, modular, modelling or signature variants that are out there, but I have played (although not owned) a Big Bang and that sounded how I expected it to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...