Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Thunderbird

ofir012345

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Just from vids , it looks like a “big” guitar but sounds great and looks great !

It certainly sits and hangs differently to basses with a more conservative design - it's always felt very comfy to me, but I know a lot of people find it too extreme. It's a longer reach to the first fret, for example. It's a cliché but it's one you really have to try for yourself.

The Vintage Pro sounds exactly how a Thunderbird should, to my ears. Front pickup, a bit of overdrive - Wishbone Ash, Cheap Trick. Clean it up a bit, both pickups - Quadrophenia.

It's a glorious instrument.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarkHeart said:

I`m 5 10 and don`t have a problem, I`m playing mine in my avi

I am 5'8 and I never had a problem. i didn't really feel the neck was too far, not like the hofner cricket bat where you are always a few frets out. The only problem really was avoiding hitting the singer with the headstock, obviously how much of a problem that is depends on your singer :D

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Tried out a Vintage Pro this week.

To my surprise I was very impressed, including by the balance of it (although it was pretty hefty).

Sounded excellent with a good range of tones.

Not very well set up, but with half a turn on the truss rod, nut recut and a bridge adjustment would be a good un'.

Very Tempty.

Only thing...  is it worth an extra £183 over an Embassy that has the same pickups and a through neck?

Edited by Stub Mandrel

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Tried out a Vintage Pro this week.

To my surprise I was very impressed, including by the balance of it (although it was pretty hefty).

Sounded excellent with a good range of tones.

Not very well set up, but with half a turn on the truss rod, nut recut and a bridge adjustment would be a good un'.

Very Tempty.

Only thing...  is it worth an extra £183 over an Embassy that has the same pickups and a through neck?

The Embassy has a set neck, not a through neck.  Also, the Embassy's neck is one piece mahogany vs. the Thunderbird's 7 ply mahogany/walnut.

Is the Thunderbird worth the extra £183?  It is if you want something Thunderbird shaped.  If you don't mind having the Thunderbird's less cool brother then save yourself some cash (and the latest metallic finishes do go some way to making the Embassy a more attractive bass) 

FWIW I had a Thunderbird Vintage Pro and I now have an Embassy.  Ergonomically it's night and day different and better IMHO - even better balance, lighter weight, less reach to the first fret despite being same scale length.

• Like 2

The only thing I’d add is YMMV with the neck on the Vintage Pro. Whilst typically tapered and therefore narrow at the nut, the necks on those I’ve tried - which were pretty nice basses - are way rounder and deeper than what I’m used to, contrary to many of the comments here, and I found were a bit of a handful. It depends what you’re used to, of course. And how much time you spend on the first few frets; not a lot, in my case. 😉

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

The only thing I’d add is YMMV with the neck on the Vintage Pro. Whilst typically tapered and therefore narrow at the nut, the necks on those I’ve tried - which were pretty nice basses - are way rounder and deeper than what I’m used to, contrary to many of the comments here, and I found were a bit of a handful. It depends what you’re used to, of course. And how much time you spend on the first few frets; not a lot, in my case. 😉

This is true. Narrow nut width but a nice deep curve with it. 

14 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

This is true. Narrow nut width but a nice deep curve with it. 

I think because the necks on my basses are pretty thin, front to back (more so than a current Rick), the depth of the neck surprised me. I’d still like one though. Although transport would still be an issue! 😉

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Ditto, but that was part of its appeal, I like different basses to feel different.

No problem with that, but I really don’t do big necks, personally. I’m just too used to my basses now.