Why become a member? ×

Some crimes should not go unpunished

What kind of thought process leads one to thinking this was an idea so good that even the feel of the chisel in hand wasn't accompanied with a deep sense of foreboding?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/ALEMBIC-Distillate/363343410822?hash=item5498f47686:g:lPkAAOSw~ddgW0Ol

Let's not dig to deep into a seller in Japan with 90.5% Positive Feedback listing in Spanish 😂

In a way I think it's good. I mean, it isn't good, it's ugly as hell and they have devalued the instrument a lot, but they treated it as their own instrument, their own thing rather than "I have to keep it how it is as it is worth money". When I was young all my instruments I could afford were rubbish but I modified them Tao make them better for me. Now I don't touch anything. Seems sad in a way!

On 05/04/2021 at 09:07, Doctor J said:

What kind of thought process leads one to thinking this was an idea so good that even the feel of the chisel in hand wasn't accompanied with a deep sense of foreboding?

😂

The mind boggles.. even if the seller didn’t realise or was wealthy enough not to care that this is a rare and expensive bass and wanted to mod it what would be wrong with a small and discreet battery compartment on the rear of the body?

I saw that a few weeks back on the Alembic Web site forum and my guess was that it was probably converted to a lefty at some point in it's life and then back. Sorry state but I guess if someone was really good at woodwork they could shave the top half of the bass down about 1/4" and replace it with another tasty piece of the same kind of wood, (looks like Bocate to me), then put battery in the space it was originally placed, give it a sand and respray. Probably still sounds great as it is regardless.

Not a task I would take on for that price. £500 maybe if it was in the UK as it would probably cost me the same again to fix it up.

56 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

The mind boggles.. even if the seller didn’t realise or was wealthy enough not to care that this is a rare and expensive bass and wanted to mod it what would be wrong with a small and discreet battery compartment on the rear of the body?

Well, it matches the horrible plate on the other side, I know people aren't going to like it because it is modded, and if your only concern is the value of the bass, rather than it as an instrument that is going to affect it, but at least they used the same cheap looking plate material, so it is sort of done well, in that it is the same style as the original.

I had a go at routing some instruments with some degree of success in lockdown.. tried it on sub £30 rubbish though and worked up to a used Squire as I got a bit better... anything more valuable or scarce would definitely be taken to a pro!

Its not just the value it’s the sacrilege... like taking an angle grinder to an e-type jag because you fancy a convertible now the sun is out. 

Edited by tegs07

20 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Its not just the value it’s the sacrilege... like taking an angle grinder to an e-type jag because you fancy a convertible now the sun is out. 

So yes, it is the value that is the problem is what you are saying?

if that was just a bass made in someone's garage (which is kinda what it looks like) no one would bat an eyelid, it's just because it is expensive and uncommon

Yes the value but that doesn’t just mean financial value. I don’t personally like Alembic or Fedora or even Status basses for that matter. It doesn’t mean I can’t see the craftsmanship, top quality materials or pure skill and technique it takes to make them. No way would I experiment on them without the required skill set.

Edited by tegs07

39 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

This sound feasible - its the only possible explanation that would explain taking a chisel & carving out such a big cavity.

Actually, the screw holes are countersunk on the underside of the control panel plate too...