Why become a member? ×

Tube/ valve head... Do I need one?

uk_lefty

Ah ok thanks @la bam. I was indeed thinking of the Fusion S500, thanks for clearing that up. 

Just to add to the confusion the Fusion S series also has 3 12ax7 tubes in its preamp. But a D class power amp section. The S 800 looks very tasty, but has a price tag to match! 

46 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah ok thanks @la bam. I was indeed thinking of the Fusion S500, thanks for clearing that up. 

Just to add to the confusion the Fusion S series also has 3 12ax7 tubes in its preamp. But a D class power amp section. The S 800 looks very tasty, but has a price tag to match! 

I have the fusion S 800 too. Amazing amp.

The line up is confusing though - the fusion 500 and 800 are different from the fusion 'S'500 and 'S'800 and both are different from the fusion 550. 

55 minutes ago, bartelby said:

so a hybrid amp then...

Yep, which is why I tried pointing out the fact that despite it having 3 valves it's not classed in common terms as a valve amp.

It's worth looking how the gk uses the valves it has though. It's not as simple as just adding a bit of tone, or a novelty in the pre amp.

7 minutes ago, la bam said:

Yep, which is why I tried pointing out the fact that despite it having 3 valves it's not classed in common terms as a valve amp.

It's worth looking how the gk uses the valves it has though. It's not as simple as just adding a bit of tone, or a novelty in the pre amp.

To regurgitate a post I made earlier:

Hybrid head ≠ Tube head

Edited by wateroftyne

1 hour ago, la bam said:

The line up is confusing though - the fusion 500 and 800 are different from the fusion 'S'500 and 'S'800 and both are different from the fusion 550. 

Tell me about it! So hopefully I'm forgiven for my school boy error in mixing this lot up?!

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I have the fusion S 800 too. Amazing amp.

That is the by far the least "helpful" thing you could have said 😁

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Tell me about it! So hopefully I'm forgiven for my school boy error in mixing this lot up?!

Haha, it's no problem at all. It's a bit of a confusing naming line up for 3 completely different amps!

1 minute ago, Mykesbass said:

Get a hybrid and you will still have the all valve itch. Only way to really scratch that (and find out the answer is No, I don't need a valve amp) is to own such a beast. Speaking from experience here...

I agree.

Itd be interesting to see how many people really really wanted a big valve amp, bit the bullet after years of wanting one and got one, and now play something else.

Me, for one.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 23:34, uk_lefty said:

Obviously the answer is No. However, boredom, lockdown and being in here daily is making me want a tube amp or some kind of hybrid tube/ solid state. 

So build your own. By the time you've paid for all the parts and actually have it working you'll have it out of your system permanently. 😎

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I always quite fancied having a go with a fryette rack power amp and some crazy nice tube mic pre.

That 1U/100W bridged LX-II looks pretty nice!

You might say I have the properly low-budget version languishing under the bed; an all-tube amp on a technicality...

peavey-rack-sm.jpg.c2fae57226c75903f31465367681b2dd.jpg

...and something else that doesn't get used because of how bulky and heavy it is. At least the most expensive component was probably the rack case! 🙂 

Not the worst way to scratch the valve itch, mind.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

That 1U/100W bridged LX-II looks pretty nice!

You might say I have the properly low-budget version languishing under the bed; an all-tube amp on a technicality...

peavey-rack-sm.jpg.c2fae57226c75903f31465367681b2dd.jpg

...and something else that doesn't get used because of how bulky and heavy it is. At least the most expensive component was probably the rack case! 🙂 

Not the worst way to scratch the valve itch, mind.

I bet many people would have lusted (and still would) lust over that. Peavey stuff tends to be forgotten - but it's Classic series is certainly full of tone, and made very well. I'd be intrigued to hear what this setup sounds like!

Yeah, I 'm thinking that the LXII with a real high end studio pre would beat a lot of these high priced bass centric offerings hands down.

Edited by EBS_freak

I can only speak from the point of view of my Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600. One of the most valvey Hybrids as it has a tube in front of the power amp section (as opposed to just the pre-amp)

It's got a very noticeable, lazy, muscular tone to it. So much more width and presence than any Class D I've owned (not looking to open that can of worms). 

The quality of tone from this thing is so far ahead of anything else I've owned or used, it's scarcely believable. So unless Mesa Boogie made it from some magic juju, I'm putting it down to the valves. 

In short, there are good hybrids out there that will get 'that' tone!

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 2

I always wanted to try a Reeves and a Divided by 13 also. But I couldn't be doing with reliability/annoying nuances issues.

I used to run a lot of guitar valve amps - and whilst awesome, they all had something about them which was annoying. Random pops, tubes going microphonic, random rattles - usually all tube related in some ways. I remember changing or ditching tube protective cases... buying all sort or rubber dampeners and bits and bobs.

It's all good fun... but also slightly annoying. Others call it authentic, I guess.

20 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I can only speak from the point of view of my Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600. One of the most valvey Hybrids as it has a tube in front of the power amp section (as opposed to just the pre-amp)

It's got a very noticeable, lazy, muscular tone to it. So much more width and presence than any Class D I've owned (not looking to open that can of worms). 

The quality of tone from this thing is so far ahead of anything else I've owned or used, it's scarcely believable. So unless Mesa Boogie made it from some magic juju, I'm putting it down to the valves. 

In short, there are good hybrids out there that will get 'that' tone!

I've owned the M-Pulse 600 and the Walkabout - both great heads. IME/O, they don't get 'that' tone.

If you want to scratch the valve itch go all valve , the hybrids don't do it for me although I like the m_pulse , I've got an svt cl and a peavey classic120/tb raxx , they sound great but I never take em out anymore, too heavy , I always use class D !

Btw I've never really got the warm thing , to me a good valve amp sounds glassy, open and clear and sometimes gritty, 

13 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I always wanted to try a Reeves and a Divided by 13 also. But I couldn't be doing with reliability/annoying nuances issues.

I used to run a lot of guitar valve amps - and whilst awesome, they all had something about them which was annoying. Random pops, tubes going microphonic, random rattles - usually all tube related in some ways. I remember changing or ditching tube protective cases... buying all sort or rubber dampeners and bits and bobs.

It's all good fun... but also slightly annoying. Others call it authentic, I guess.

I fondly remember microphonic valves.... NOT.

On a serious note and getting back to the topic. |I don't need my Fender Aerodyne, my £50 Peavey P bass in more than adequate  and has been gigged many times. However there is a wonderful feeling when I pick up the Aerodyne. I think some people get the same feeling from some valve amps. You don't need a valve head. However you may want one and if the itch is persistant why not scratch it.

Edited by Chienmortbb

I’m itching to give my lockdown Peavey VB-2 I damn good thrashing. I’ll be honest though, if i was humping stuff in and out of pubs, there’s no way I’d consider a valve amp - small and light is the way to go. Thank God for Roadies!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, King Tut said:

I’m itching to give my lockdown Peavey VB-2 I damn good thrashing. I’ll be honest though, if i was humping stuff in and out of pubs, there’s no way I’d consider a valve amp - small and light is the way to go. Thank God for Roadies!!

image.jpeg.974ee73a8bf425d7ada977841c97d5ad.jpeg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an Ashdown CTM 100 a few years ago on finance. It was quite big, a little cumbersome (despite it being small in the valve amp world), had a limited tonal range and got dirty quite quickly, meaning on a large stage the amp and the DI were getting a bit hairy. In that band, I needed a fairly clean sound and Class AB and D amps were better suited for my gigs. I ended up swapping the CTM for a bass, swapping that too and ultimately making a loss of several hundred pounds.

...And I’d do it all again because valve amps are magical. It had a limited tonal palette but what it did, it did really well. Think Entwistle’s Live at Leeds tone. It looked great sat on a 4x10 and the response from a valve amp is just different to class AB and certainly class D amps - everything is more immediate, sparkly and just better. Valve amps respond to inputs differently. Dynamics are different. Better, in my opinion. 

Most of my thoughts could probably be written off as pseudoscience or perception, but I don’t care. I loved owning a valve amp and I’d wholeheartedly recommend one to someone who fancied one. No, you won’t be able to put it in a rucksack and take your gear in in one trip (🙄), but I find most of the practical points of owning and running a valve amp a bit like buying a Ferrari and being disappointed when it doesn’t do 40mpg. They aren’t designed with convenience in mind, and they are (in the bass world at least) a luxury item that needs more care and attention. 

Buy a valve amp, experience the highs and lows, sell it on if/when it does your head in and let someone else experience the same cycle. 

• Like 1