Why become a member? ×

Be a bassist. . . . . !

chris_b

I think Chris has hit it on the nail there. Having played bass, guitar, and done lead vocals in bands all whilst in the same clothes and body, the amount of attention I received from the ladyfolk whilst doing guitar and lead vocals for a short time far outweighs that of when I’ve played bass. Must admit I never got any attention from cats though.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

If you take up the bass after you have been happily married for over 25 years then the bottom line is the expectation,  and the reality is the same, but probably with fewer basses. 😁

Spot on.  But our cat died...

• Sad 1

Only time in my life a complete stranger ever enveloped me in an unexpected snog was when a very attractive woman came up to me after I played bass in the jam at the Dereham Blues Festival. My wife was genuinely impressed.  I think it went some way towards reassuring her choice of me as a mate wasn't completely random. 

Edited by lownote12
  • Haha 1

I’m not so sure about this. Of all the musos that I’ve known in bands over the years; of the three biggest womanisers, two were drummers and one a bass player. It may be that some people drawn to bass are by nature the type to hide at the back and not seek the attention (see some of the replies in the ‘Are You a Boring Bass Player?’ thread from a few weeks ago), but that was never me. I think that it is more down to what you look like and how comfortable you are talking to women. 

Once (and only once!) a band I was in played locally to us. It was my second gig with them. Determined to do better than my previous outing, I ultimately played right out of my shoes, and I think it raised the whole band's game somewhat. 

The rest of the band knew a lot more people than I did (I don't really do the scene thing), and just about everyone said; "Wow! The new bassist is really good!"

Next day, I was sacked.  No reason given.

At the time,  I had 4 basses and a cat.

• Haha 1