Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee genius??

TheGreek

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Lest we forget, he also favoured Henhouse Rotisseries and Tumble Dryers towards the end.

And produced a warm feel to his tone. The Tumble driers also left a warm yet fluffy tone. Not sure what tone i preferred between them.😂

Dave

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

The tumble driers weren't true bypass though, that's what ruined it for me.

If you flicked them over to cold setting it created a more natural by-pass. Not strictly "true by-pass" but a close second.

I think it might be worth you buying one to see how you get on. A full review and report on your findings might be a worthwhile exercise.

Dave 

On 06/05/2021 at 12:31, NancyJohnson said:

Lest we forget, he also favoured Henhouse Rotisseries 

D’Angelo was so impressed by the tone of that rig, he had Pino replicate it - very slick sounding.

Edited by ezbass

I think genius is a bit over done but I hugely admire any bassist who can sing over busy bass lines  AND has to front the band....it's a hell of a talent and Geddy is the master.

However I dont include Sting in my admiration but I do do very much include Dave Peacock of Chas & Dave fame.  I think he is one of the cleverest bassist/singers ever....Try playing some of those grooves and then sing the part.....he's equal too or better than Geddy.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Having just discovered Geddy Lee (I'm still fairly new to bass guitar) I would say he has to be on the verge of genius.... Playing those bass lines and singing over the top of them.. is pretty special. 

For me his it's his technique I find incredible, it's like his attacking the bass... Like a battle of sonic wills between him and his bass...

Geddy: "You will give me this tone, you will conform".... 

Jazz Bass: "Ouch... You're plucking waaay too hard.... Put me down"

........Ok maybe I need to reign in my imagination a little ☺️

• Like 1

'Genius' is probably the most abused word in the English language and not one I'd apply to anyone in music or sport. I'm no fan of Rush but in the rock world I'd admit Geddy Lee is probably among the best bassists though for playing demanding lines and singing at the same time no one does it better than Mark King and Larry Graham.

19 minutes ago, Bobo_08 said:

Playing those bass lines and singing over the top of them.. is pretty special. 

Don't forget playing the keyboard with his feet at the same time.

He takes on three roles in the band while the other two lazy bastards just have one each.

• Like 2

VERY VERY good but imho not genius 

saw themlive on permanent waves and they were superb, his playing and creativity continued on and on but i would reserve the genius tag for the very select few …i wont mention the obvious name(s) as they are bound to throw some people into fits of pique 🙄😂

Altho i like to hear solo bassists doing some slap i just think its had its day.

There are so many amazing bass players doing slap that there's nothing new in it for me.

Not saying its easy and it takes a lot of talent to do it well but for me it doesn't do much. I tend to move on to the next VID clip.

I'd rather listen to someone do a bit of two handed playing or something a bit more melodic rather than rhythmic percussion. Think there's a fine balance to get it right.

I am certainly no master of slap by any means as its a style i've just never really been into so i'm probably a bit biased there.

Dave

• Like 1